Lexicon Software

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by ReverendJWblues, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Ok guys heres the deal, I installed Lexicon Alpha software, I've got input/record signal but I cant get any play back signal. Now I'm pretty frickin computer illiterate so does anybody know why I cant get playback. I'm trying to do some clips but it aint happening. I need some help here so who's the geinius? It's this kind of technological shit that really pisses me off. Or just my frickin stupidity. I'm getting tired of spending money just to have to spend more money. :)

2. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

If you're using Windows XP, check all of your volume levels and mutes in sound control *double click the speaker on the bottom right to bring it up, and click file and properties and enable all the different volumes you can just so you have control over them*. You also gotta check the recording inputs too.

The alpha might have to use its own interface as an output as well as an input. Where are your headphones connected, to the computer or to the alpha?

I do this kinda thing for a living... If it gets bad, let me know and I can help you work through this. :thumb:

3. rodneyk915

rodneyk915 Senior Member

Something else to consider. Make sure that everything is hooked up to your computer while the computer is turned off.
    Once you have the interface connected power up the computer. It should then recognize the unit as the input/output device.
    You can then use the headphone jack for your speakers or headphones. If this doesn't work report back.
    I have used Omega for a couple of years but since it's been set up for quite some time there may be something that
    I left out as far as a change in the settings in the software. You are using Cubase right?

4. ReverendJWblues

So are you guys telling me the only monitors I can use is thru the head phones and not the external speakers? I can get the headphone jack to work I just hate using them for monitors, I want external speakers. :)

5. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Here is another question on this software and interface. I posted a thread in another place, but maybe you can answer here. Is there an easy way to convert the files in Cubase into WMA or MP3 or MP4 files? Can Cubase do it? Can something like Itunes do it? Any help appreciated.

Mark

6. rodneyk915

rodneyk915 Senior Member

Yeah, headphones are not good at all for monitoring your mixes. You have two ways to monitor you recordings other than the headphones. On the back you will see L/R 1/4" Line Out jacks which can go to a power amp, mixing board, powered monitors, etc. and L/R RCA audio outputs which can go to powered monitors or the aux inputs on your stereo, etc.

Now if you don't have powered monitors and you want to use your external computer speakers you may be able to get an adapter to put on the 1/8" plug of the computer speaker which changes it to 1/4" and plug that into the headphone jack and get the audio to your computer speakers.

In Cubase, with your project open, just click on File, click on export, a side menu will appear, go to audio mixdown and select how you want the file to be saved as.

Loki, feel free to jump in and correct me if I've overlooked something. I set mine up a long time ago and haven't had to change anything since then and you know what they say, use it or loose it.

7. ReverendJWblues

Thanx Rodney :)

8. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

I'll try that.

Mark

9. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

You guys got it down. If you have a high quality internal sound card you could use that for monitoring, but there is always latency to be worried about. Headphones aren't great for mixing because they skew the perception of sound. When I'm mixing I go for a balance between crappy speakers, good monitors and good headphones, and then I do the car test.

If you guys want to convert files to MP3 or various formats, no commercial software includes this feature without paying out the nose for it... Download LAME the mp3 converter and RAZOR LAME the interface. Easy to use, and can do batches so if you export all your files to wav, put em in a single directory, you can convert them all to MP3 at the same time. :thumb:

10. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Do you know about Tunebite? Is there a cost for LAME?

Mark

11. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

I found what I think is the right software. Is it the Audacity Freeware? How does it work with the Cubase files? I don't see those file types supported.

Mark

12. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Audacity is free. LAME is free as well. Audacity is a whole seperate recording DAW program. LAME is just an encoder. :thumb:

I like em both, but prefer LAME because I use Cakewalk Sonar Producers Edition.

13. ReverendJWblues

I miss the good old analog day's with my old studio. This technology of today really shows my stupidity, shows how long I've been out of the loop. But even I should have known I would need a seperate power source for monitors, but when I bought the software the guy said just download and plug in, thats all I'll need, I should have known better. Anyways now my 20 yr old mic's have crapped out I guesss its back to spending more coin. I did sign up on Sounclick, hopefully I'll have something worthwhile soon. I hate to bother my buddy at his studio but I may resort to that. Thanx guys for your efforts in my stupidity. :)

14. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Maybe I'm just an absolute computer moron, but I downloaded LAME, extracted the files with WinZip and I have no idea how to do anything with it. The .exe file does not open any kind of set-up and all information seems to point to having to have the Audacity program in order to make it work. Any help appreciated. There is something about saving a .dll file, but what would that do? Does this program somehow open automatically when you need to encode a file. I can't see how it would work, but then...as I said...I am a computer moron.

Mark

15. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Download RAZOR LAME to interface with it. LAME itself is just the command. You have to run it from a command prompt without RAZOR.

16. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

I did that and got it to open once, but won't do anything. I must have something wrong with how things are configured or it can't find that LAME file.

Mark

17. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Wait....OK....I think I have things running. Now...I if I understand what I need to do in Cubase, when I open my cpr files and mix them, they end up as wav files that can be converted with this software...correct? I know they won't do anything with the cpr files...or at least it doesn't appear like it.
    Sorry for all the questions, but this is all knew territory for me. As Reverend JW said, I miss the old analog days. The last time I really worked with recording gear we were using reel to reel tape :)

18. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

It's all good man! If nobody asked questions, nobody would learn anything.

I'm not positive on the Cubase thing, but I think once you've got a mix, you hit File, and Export and export it to the highest quality .wav file your sound card can handle *24/96 hopefully!*. Pick a directory and save it.

Then open RAZOR and select the directory and the wav file, and hit Encode. It'll make an mp3 in that directory with the same name as the wav file. Done and done!

19. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

That makes sense. I will post some links to what I have when it's up.

Thanks for all your help!

Mark

20. ReverendJWblues

Alright boy's thanx for all the help but after further testing my right output is bad on this POS Alpha, this crap is going back to where it came from. I'm going for sumthing else, havent figured out what yet. Today I started making me some powered monitors, I'll just do like yester year and just make my own shit cost a little more but at least I'll be happy. Anyways I'll have some clips soon, ( I hope) I need a good bashing from you my brothers :rofl: