Let's talk about Vintage Melody Makers...

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Palladio, May 25, 2014.

1. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

I took this guitar apart about three months ago because I had plans to cut down the baseplate of a full size Duncan JB so that it fits without routing, but then I got busy and I haven't gotten back to it. One of these days I'll find some tinker time to put it back together and I'll report back. This MM is a great platform for a vintage hot rod guitar; old wood, '59 neck profile, big frets, and lightweight.

1 person likes this.
  2. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Senior Member

Attached Files:

3. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Vintage Melody maker madness.:naughty:

1965`s
    [​IMG]:D

lawrev, Breakrite and stephenwz968 like this.
  4. hecube

hecube Senior Member

You know that your mental illness can be cured nowadays? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

5. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Stop me before I MM again.:lol:

1 person likes this.
  6. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

I was looking at possibly picking up one of these little beasties. It seems pricing is all over the place. A buddy has a mid-60s Epiphone Olympic (single PU, pretty much all-original), and I was wondering what something like that was worth these days?

7. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

depends on condition. :thumb: pic

8. freebird2

freebird2 Senior Member

Thought I'd chime in with some hopefully useful information. I've had a 1959 for about a year now. Has the wider pickup and a nice fat neck. Plays really well, but as much as I tried I just couldn't fall in love with the sound of the pickup. Played it through a variety of amp and cabinet combinations. After reading this thread and a few others, I decided to to try a different pickup. I finally chose an all black Artec dual blade alnico 5 strat sized mini humbucker. I really like it. I decided on a dual blade for the following reasons. First of all I like the quietness of a humbucker. In looking at my mini humbucker choices, I thought the string spacing at the bridge (Fender vs Gibson) and the pole pieces of the pickup might be an issue. Not an issue with the dual blade. Also, I wasn't sure how a higher output humbucker might fair with the original Gibson volume and tone pots but I like it just fine with the original Gibsons. My tone pot reads 330K. After reading some of the reviews of the Artec, and dual blades in general, I was worried of it being "dark sounding". With this in mind, I positioned it slightly more towards the high E string side so as to emphasize the bass less (as the two blades' radius is highest in the middle). Seems to have been a good idea as each string sounds strong and pretty equal to my ear. I shielded the pickup cavity with black friction tape as the pickup is narrower than the original. It looks all black from a ways away and no one can really tell that I have a different pickup installed unless they get up close. Hope this helps someone.

lawrev likes this.
  9. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Good stuff.

I recently got my player fitted with just the one Vol. pot.
    Tone is inside cavity on 10. Taped up.
    Now the Vol. is in the same place almost exactly as a vintage Junior.
    Now for me easier to find.
    [​IMG]
    But I still like this one. Believe it or not the neck is wider and bigger than
    my CC 16 redeye. These are great gigging guitars. Rival my 69`s.
    With the Dunc SP-90 B1. A nice pickup for these.
    [​IMG]

RevWillie and Breakrite like this.
  10. Mark Palm

Mark Palm Junior Member

Great thread!

I've got a vintage MM that I'm going to drop a new pickup into. I'm trying to decide between the Lollar MM P90 and the Curtis Novak Stealth MM P90. Does anyone on here have experience with both pickups? Can you describe the difference between the two?

lawrev likes this.
  11. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

I purchased a 1959 MM recently and glad to have done that. Posted pics elsewhere but will get some up here. I am looking to purchase 1 vintage gold top hat know, too. Enjoying what everyone has said about their MMs.

12. bufbills

bufbills Senior Member

Ive got the lollar in two. My 59 that I cant put down, and my 66 sg, (for sale) and it is a fantastic pickup that can do it all. Love the lollar

13. AlvisX

AlvisX Senior Member

Great pickup , my bridge p-90 of choice .I have it in all my Les Pauls & Melody Makers. It's quite like a hot mid 60's p-90.

69 Goldtop likes this.
  14. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Update for me on these.... 2 early 65`s. Best of both worlds. Duncan SH-16 . Hot pickup. Best suited for a low gain/watt amp. Kinda like an old Dimarzio SD. Moved the input jack. I bought this 63 to relocate first. Turned out great. Selling it with a Dunc HB under P-90. sell (3).jpg sharpie 042.jpg

Attached Files:

RevWillie likes this.