Let's See You Old Vintage Speakers

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Soul Tramp, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Got the idea for this from Frogfur's JBL thread. Let's see what gems we have in the MLP community.

I have a bunch, but I'll start with my favorite guitar speaker extant. The old Altec 417-8C alnico. I bought a pair of cores and sent them to Great Plains Audio to be re-built. Those are the guys who bought all the old tooling and parts when Altec went bust. They are the final word in vintage Altec.

The 417-8C has the good qualities of the JBL "D" series, but without the downside.

$_57.JPG

r_DSC01964.jpg

The_Nuge, marsten, Pappy58 and 3 others like this.
  2. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

IMG_0594.jpg
    P12 Canadian Jensen. Came out of 62 Ampeg, going in my Tweed Deluxe build!

Soul Tramp, bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Not the prettiest photo: 1 of 2 Pulsonic greyback G12M.

[​IMG]

4. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Hey Don, funny you should post the 417-8C's. I sent Great Plains an Email about 2 weeks ago asking if they can still make these to custom order. Have not had a replay as yet.

Going by comments from many on the internet these are great Speakers.

I'd appreciate any comments you have on your set & if you know if these are available as a custom order.

Thanks.

Cheers, Rudi

bulletproof likes this.
  5. Soul Tramp

Rudy, I feel they really are the best guitar speaker, extant. They have wonderfully full bandwidth on both the high and low end, the smoothest compression you've ever heard, and they are very articulate at reasonable volumes (unlike the JBL "D" series". They are not sterile and lifeless like the EVM-12L (again at reasonable volumes). And of course the engineering and craftsmanship is unsurpassed.

They sound fantastic in both closed and open back cabs. I presently have them in a very small undersized 2x12 open back cab.

I don't know if GPA offers them. I bought mine on ebay. They were in great working order, but I immediately sent them to GPA to be rebuilt. I can't remember the actual cost of everything, but it was in the $700 range. If you're interested I can find the emails and get you the actual numbers.

bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks Don, that would be great.

Thanks for the overview. :thumbs:

Also if you have a contact Email as maybe mine went to their junk folder.

Thanks.

Cheers, Rudi

7. Soul Tramp

I'll check it out tonight and let you know.

RAG7890 likes this.
  8. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

9. Soul Tramp

Blackat, back in the day the JBL loaded cabs with those silver dust-caps looked so cool on stage. It's fun to see old pictures of live performances where the stage is stacked with Altec VOTTs on the ends and JBL loaded cabs everywhere else. And lest we forget the MAMMOTH Ampgeg V4B folded horn cabs.

10. Soul Tramp

Rudy, I can't find any email correspondences with GPA. Now that I think about it, I'm sure it was all done over the phone.

I'd be happy to call them on your behalf. Send me a PM and we can get into the details.

RAG7890 likes this.
  11. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

GAMMA LA1231 Alnico, AUDAX PR 170Z0 and Fostex FT 17H

Fc = 600 Hz and 6000 Hz

DIY loudspeakers

[​IMG]

The_Nuge and RAG7890 like this.
  12. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Not trying to derail, just curious..

Is that a converted Rayo lamp on the right side? :thumb:

13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks Don. Will send you an email mate.

Cheers, Rudi.

14. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I don't have pics but the two vintage speakers in cabs that stand head and shoulders above anything I've heard were the following...

In the early early 70's, one of the guitarists in my bro's road band had an old Standell 4x12 cab loaded with Altecs.... driven by that nuclear Twin Traynor built back then. He played a Lester Deluxe Goldie with minis. It was loud but amazingly warm and smooth... Those Altecs were just plain smooth...

Some years later, I played with a bud that had a bunch of Marshall full stacks (collected Marshals)... He used one stack in our band but with only bottom cab live (thank god), walled, and 57'd. Playing with us, he used the deeper Traynor 4x12 cab loaded with 4 - Cetec freaking Gauss 12's. Loudest and punchiest 4x12 I have every heard. Even though it was walled (backwards with a 57) there were times it was eating my ass up running the wall in one club... Driven by one of his old Marshall 100w heads, my lawdy mercy, it was loud. Not quite as warm as a JBL but far far far punchier... None of his stock Marshall cabs with Celestions could hang with that cab... Weighed a ton (Gauss were heavy ass frames with huge mags/covers and the cab itself was heavy and solid) but sounded incredible. We AB'd with Marshall cabs....no comparison. Not even in the same zip code...

My bro's bass rig was cool and a kinda runner up to those but for bass. He had 4x12's loaded with JBLs and driven by that big Traynor two handle bass head... Jazz, Rotosounds, Traynor, JBL... Danger Zone...

15. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

Yep.
    I think I paid $120 or so for both back in '73

ehb likes this.
  16. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I remember getting JBL, C-G, EV speakers in and just rubbing the top box in the stack, drooling. Funny, when the CTS speakers came in, I just didn't get the tingle. ;)

CTS were ok in a closed sealed cab with pressure behind em.... Open cab, not so much.

redjunior likes this.