Let's Learn Eruption!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by frozenotter, Jan 9, 2019.

1. frozenotter

frozenotter Dumbed-Down Premium Member

...and it's a mother *ucker. Ed is even MORE amazing than I thought. The most difficult part is in the middle when it goes silent then he comes in with that kick @ss speed picking segment, before the tapping. That part is almost impossible to do right though I'm getting pretty handy with it now, after a lot of work. Try speed-picking a note then at the same time thrown in hammer-ons and pull-offs on another string while not interrupting the speed picking at all. He also does lightning fast ascending string skipping notes during this too up to the trills.

I've seen a lot of guitarist play Eruption on stage over the years, but as we know ...it's never 'Eruption'. I'm working very hard to be the first, that I know of anyway, to pull this off live.

Kudos Ed, ...you are AMAZING!!

*Edit* (Changed thread title)
    Come on in and learn Eruption! Post! Post! Post! Any level ...but ONLY links to and from MLP members. Unless it's instructional - Please no "Look how good this cat does it" off YouTube, etc.

Let's learn Eruption!! :applause:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Who, jkes01, Matt_21 and 1 other person like this.
  2. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Never dared to learn this one:)

Good luck with it, it´s a great piece!

frozenotter likes this.
  3. frozenotter

Who, BKS, Oldskoolrob and 5 others like this.
  4. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

Man when he burst on the scene he was in a whole new dimension. His older stuff is still amazing, but the impact it had as it was coming out was huge and really changed things, inspiring countless new copycats.

It sounds a touch bland these days because dozens and dozens took what he did and flooded the airwaves with it on their own and expanded on it. That's why I try to listen to ground shakers within the context of what was going on prior to their debut on the scene.

People like Page, Beck, Hendrix, Van Halen, etc all shook things up during their heydays.

Skit, Who, DarthPaul and 1 other person like this.
  5. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

Nice job! Waaaaaay better than I could ever do

frozenotter likes this.
  6. frozenotter

Thanks bro. Even hacking through it has been so much f'n work. He does a f'n three finger run in one part skipping 2 frets per finger on each string that is like hand yoga. I can't even reach them wearing a strap standing up yet. :eek:

I've always know, as we all have, that the jam is fast; however I never knew how difficult it actually was with all the string and note skipping ...at lightning speed, that he does during it.

:cheers:

Eddie 70 likes this.
  7. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Senior Member

I used to be able to play it in the '80s, and I learned the version that was on the video 'Without A Safety Net'... Hot For Teacher intro was the one I never quite nailed - used to get cramp in my hand.
    All this tapping and fast stuff... it's like playing tennis, running or swimming. You have to get in shape and then stay in shape, metaphorically speaking. If you don't put the work in every day, you soon fall off the pace. EVH didn't get that good by spending all day on the internet.

frozenotter likes this.
  8. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Damn...that's sounding pretty good already, man. I'd never be able to play it anywhere near that well.

frozenotter likes this.
  9. frozenotter

Thanks, Barnaby! :cheers2:

Barnaby likes this.
  10. Leotis

Leotis Senior Member

I gave it a whirl a few years ago. Fun tune!

Vortex, Who, Seven and 3 others like this.
  11. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Pete Thorn has a YouTube series on this and I think he nails it. Good job man sounds like you’re almost there.

frozenotter likes this.
  12. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Yeah it sounds good as it is Frozenoyter...I’m impressed

I started trying to learn a bit last night from this... didn’t get past or manage the first fast strong skipping bit!

Will need to look up the Pete Thorn videos...I’d never heard of him until a few weeks ago when he was in this “recommended fo you” YouTube vid... 1 min 50s in....pretty amazing solo!

13. frozenotter

Thanks, paradice. It's really smoothing out now and I'll throw in another recording in the near future showing some progress.

I've never seen a vid or online tab doing the skipping correctly. Everyone has their own 'flavor' but none sounded exactly right. The old Cherry Lane music/tab book I have ended up being right only it didn't consider string skipping for some notes. It instead showed them in impossible positions, always leading me to believe the book was wrong.

I gave up on all music/instructions, etc. and just pulled the notes out from the following vid. It sounds corny, but it's 'pure tones' without the distortion, scrape, slop, you name it, that results from electric guitar.

This chick (who plays it great) was closest:

Who, BKS and paradice like this.
  14. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer Silver Supporter

Gotta throw this out there, just for grins. :cool:

15. paradice

paradice Senior Member

What bit exactly do you mean with the string skipping?

16. frozenotter

in the middle when he comes in after silence.

paradice likes this.
  17. BKS

BKS Senior Member

So many how too vids on youtube.

I would Love to learn that one tooo.... Come back in 10 years...

frozenotter likes this.
  18. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I'll tell you who covered it pretty darn well. I was mixing FOH in a rock club and Phil X and his band came and played. He nailed eruption like nobody's business.

And yet, and yet! There's something about EVH that no-one can duplicate. yessiree....an amazing player, one of my favs!

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Me neither.
    That is pretty good frozenotter. And I think what @somebodyelseuk said is spot on. You have to be like a finely tuned athlete to pull that off with authority and grace.
    What you've got sounds like all the bones and structure of the thing are in place. You'll probably have to put in just as much work to make the notes clean, explosive and full of fire. I think that's what is really what makes that piece so great.

frozenotter likes this.
  20. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

My nephew bought me Van Halen 1 when it came out, I was pretty much at the top of my playing game at the at the time,I was touring & playing 6 nights a week, had a guitar in my hands 8 to 10 hrs a day for years.
    On a band hiatis I wore that record out learning every song by ear, 10 hrs a day for a week
    I was obsessed,, drove the girlfriend to the point of moving out.
    It was that sound though, everytime I recorded my hard work twasn't even close.
    Don't think I could play Eruption today but I have kinda figured out that"sound" thanxs to U tube vids,,, Marshall Plexi bussed to a plate reverb panned hard left & right. there it was.
    Like magic, now if I could just put in another 50 hrs or so I might be able to play that piece again.
    @frozenotter, pretty damned good.