Let's hear your playing through your rig

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, Feb 12, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Here's another one.

This is a song from what should have been the "rebirth" of my late 80's/early 90's band, 8 days after. We wrote a batch of songs, went into the studio and recorded them, but the vocalist/lyricst Dennis was having vocal chord problems - turned out he has polyps (?) on his chords. He basically dropped off the Earth after we recorded an EPs worth of material. Bummer, too, because I LOVE the songs.

We added a keyboardist to the line-up, Dianna Mills. She really brought a depth to the songs with her paino and organ parts. Drums were by my current drummer, Vance. Bass was by a fellow named Rich. It was looking to be a solid line-up and release. We even had a couple of "labels" (said lightly, because what denotes a label these days?) interested, but it all dried up :(

Anyway, for me, this is ALL Gretsch (again) and the Helix. The verses are played on a Duo-Jet w/Filtertrons. The choruses are played on a Gretsch Pro-Jet with minibuckers. The leads are done on the Duo-Jet. All the amps are Vox-based models in the Helix....mostly AC15s with different cabs to tweak the tone.

The acoustic guitar (which is not played well, but we left it because it had a "vibe" that matched the vocal) was done with a Fender Tim Armstrong. The bass was a MusicMan played through an Ampeg combo. Drums are Pearl Masters with Sabian AAX cymbals. The piano and organ were done via Arturia V-Collection 5 software.

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/tears-fall

CaptainT likes this.
  2. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

I think am really getting the Kemper dialed in to get all of my old school tube tones now. Last week, I took these out with it:

[​IMG]

My experience with modelers has been that most of them can do a good humbucker through a fire-breathing Marshall tone. But what separates the contenders from the pretenders for me is how well they can handle single coil tones, clean to mean. Although this is a crappy phone video, I think I have the Kemper dialed in pretty damn good for my Strats now.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TYXFH7ZBo5GtWP3K3

I am not missing my Carol-Ann all that much lately. :dude:

CaptainT, Oldskoolrob and frankv like this.
  3. Oldskoolrob

Oldskoolrob Senior Member

This is my stuff - recorded at a live gig through a Zoom R16 being used as the PA desk and re mastered afterwards. All original stuff, so be gentle. Rig is a home made 18 watt Fender-ish amp, Some tunes are my Gretsch, some are a Broadway. Haven't recorded with my LP as yet, as at the time I was all about the hollowbodies lol.
    https://soundcloud.com/the-zephyr-project

CaptainT, AllTheSound and frankv like this.
  4. Jota

Jota Senior Member

Oldskoolrob and frankv like this.
  5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

jdto likes this.
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Well when you get off your ass and come over, I'll fix your "strat" single coil issue right quick.

7. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

I have no problem with my Strats, or Teles, or Les Pauls or even my Gretsch when I am plugging into the Kemper. They all kill it. :dude:

Yes, we do need to get together. We just recently fired our bass player so I have been busy with extra rehearsals and re-writing set lists. Plus my international and out of state clients for my real job have had me traveling all over. Let me check my schedule and I will call you and we will set up something soon.

8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Here's a risky one....

This one is ALL me - even the vocal. That's my weakest area, and the one I have been the most focused on improving over the last few months. Anyway....this is a simple tune I wrote in 1990 about a girl I had a crush on in my art class in HS. Her name was Sue (duh) - I thought a song would be a clever way to get her to notice me. I discovered that a lot of girls aren't keen on you having songs about them. Oh well, it was a decent tune and my band played it in our set until 2005. The original was just acoustic/vocal, the band version was heavier, and this version is - I don't know, different....

Gear?

ALL guitars are a PRS S2 Standard 22. I used various pickup positions for the different textures I needed. I LOVE this guitar - I have planned to put Fralin Twangmasters in it, but dig it so much I haven't...yet.

[​IMG]

The bass was done with my trusty German-made Warwick FNA Jazzman. I LOVE that bass. The tones are awesome. I used helix Native, and a rig based on the Mesa M9 Carbine (Cali Bass) with a 6x10 Cali Power cab model (stock L6 IR).

The guitars were done on the Helix Rack, using the "Derailed Ingrid" model. I used (2) 1x12 Cali EXT (stock L6 IR) cab models. These are representative of the Boogie Thiele-aligned cabs loaded with EVM12L speakers. I "mic" one cab with an R121 close, and the second cab with a U87 from 6"-8" (I increase the early reflections to give more room sound).

In order to get the gain in the "sweet spot" for what I wanted, I used gain blocks to CUT input gain into the amp. Those cuts ranged from -2.7dB for my main lead sound to -17dB for the "clean" tones. It was an interesting exercise in achieving tone, but I was MORE than pleased.

Effects depend on the part. I have some auto-wah in there - I think I used the "Mutant Filter" for that. There is a little of the Roland Space Echo, as well as my standard '63 Spring Reverb.

Anyway, here's the tune....

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/sues-smile

frankv, drew365 and mdubya like this.