Let's hear your playing through your rig

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, Feb 12, 2017.

1. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Sounds great, very nice recording.
    Don't apologize for the nylon guitar, it set it all up & is my favourite guitar sound on the entire track.
    Like to hear more of it!!

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  2. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Thanks so much for the comments frankv and Lenpaul! I'm glad that you enjoyed the nylon string parts - they are my favourites too!

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Peter.

frankv likes this.
  3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Lots of fabulous sounding recordings here!

I'll add my 2 cents to the kitty....

This is from a series of Les Paul build videos I did. The last video where the guitars are finally done and are played by me and one of my clients.
    This was all done in Guitar Rig 5. No other processing within the DAW was added because I really wanted to create presets that were completely self contained just in case I want to use them again down the road.

Anyway, if you don't want to watch the whole vid, you can skip to just the parts where you can hear the guitars and virtual patches.

@ the 1:00 minute mark I play the solo from Boston's "Long Time".... I thought it was appropriate because the builds really did take a long time!

@ the 3:40 mark my client plugs in his guitar for the first time. This is a great example of the real power of modelling from a workflow perspective. I had just a kind of generic, crunchy rock sound set up for him. I had no idea what he was going to play. But I recorded the guitar's direct signal which allowed me to tweak the software and create a sound that was suitable afterwards. So if you listen closely I wanted it to sound like an amp in the room, not a totally slick and polished studio recording. I did that by first picking the amp, settings, speaker etc in the software and then created a small room reverb (still within Guitar Rig 5) to emulate the actual sonic characteristics of my workshop room with it's wood floors etc. I wanted it to sound and feel like it was an amp in that room and it was just the camera mic picking it up (OK...maybe a particularly good camera mic!)

Lastly, @ 5:33 I play another one of the guitars. I'm doing the solo break for Led Zep's "Whole Lotta Love". This one was tough to nail....not just the sound, but the performance too! I have never played this solo before and I only had about an hour to learn it and record it (that's why I video taped it section by section....just didn't have enough time to learn to play it flawlessly from beginning to end) But again, I just set up a basic sound in the software for the tracking of it, I changed and tweaked everything at my leisure afterwards. That is such a huge benefit to workflow! But it's not necessarily exclusive to modellers, I could have re-amped my direct signal to real gear. Anyway, this sound was hard to get....lots of futzing with different model amps and setting but once I got close I added a cocked wah close to the toe position and bingo!

Any Guitar Rig 5 users here want my presets for these tracks? I'll be happy to upload them for you.

lancpudn, saks, jdto and 5 others like this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Awesome Freddy.. I love the Boston tone.

5. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Today was my birthday and I was finally able to unwrap my new Helix LT:)

I started programming my Setlist for my coverband. My favorite song is "I believe in a thing called love" by The Darkness.

I am quite happy with the preset, it utilizes 4 Snapshots (Intro, Crunch, Solo and Outro) and a custom V30 4x12 IR from Celestion.

Did some mistakes in the playing, but hey, it was at the end of the day after 10 hours of birthday party XD

https://soundcloud.com/user-188172975/i-believe-in-a-thig-called-helix

Yes I did, this was beautiful!

6. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

EVH Wolfgang (lead) & PRS SC594 (rhythm) -> Axe FX (RV50)

7. drpietrzak

drpietrzak Senior Member

8. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

9. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Oh Frank! Just got around to listening to this. Honest to anyone, my 12 bar from page 11 in the thread was not a rip off if this. It came from many years earlier when I realised I couldn't play Scuttlebuttin' by SRV, and I knew Bill Dent, guitar player of our parish, could play pretty much anything he set his mind to.

Bill lost his life to alcohol a few years back. I still miss him. He was one of us the special guitar pickers I met in my time. But that version of the tune belongs only to me, Bill, SRV, Freddie King and possibly a bit to Eric, Peter and in fairness Mick Taylor for the goid Bluesbreakers work they did. Good tune in any version though!

Got to love the blues. It really is everyone's.

Liam

frankv likes this.
  10. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Liam

It never even entered my mind my friend. Rip Off? not likely.

Why don't you go over the the Play This Track thread and give me your style on that backing track. I would love to hear your take on it.

11. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

frankv likes this.
  12. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

A little lemonade for the new year...

frankv likes this.
  13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

After having the Axe-FX II XL+ for almost a week, thought I'd throw this out there. Some background on this song, it's something that's been in the scratch phase for almost two years. I recorded it and meant to go back and finish it. I was about to start working on it when the Axe arrived. I was going for a real ethereal spacey kind of vibe.

So all the guitars are a PRS into the Axe with the stock 50 watt Plexi Treble preset and an added delay. I added a drum track and bass as a place holder. I'm trying to schedule some time for my drummer and bassist to add the permanent versions. So the mix is still in development phase. Also need to add the lead lines.

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/kfowler8/orion27s-run-1-29-18[/SC]

frankv and CaptainT like this.
  14. frankv

I would love to work a version of the lead lines.

kfowler8 likes this.
  15. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Have at it! I'll enable the download. Would love to hear what you come up with.

frankv likes this.
  16. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

You should be able to download it now.

Key is Dm.

Verse is D-E-F with a D note droning over it.

Chorus is D-C-Bb-F on the left guitar and right guitar is playing octaves of D-E-F-A-G.

frankv likes this.
  17. frankv

OK.. I'm on it.. :) Oh I like this....

18. frankv

19. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

That's great Frank. Nice job.

I've always envisioned it to be an instrumental but I'm not sure. I may play with some vocals. I've been back and forth with my drummer on the tracks and I'm trying to schedule my bassist. I'll post the final when it's done.

My bassist commented how crisp the guitars were. Loving the Axe.

20. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I will often post tunes that are band oriented, thus me playing through my live rig. I do a lot of writing/recording for fun too. I will often work on what I call "soundtrack" music - stuff that creates a mood and takes you on a type of journey. I will often utilize synths and "alternative" instruments on these tracks.

This one, "April Rain", was fun. I wanted to channel some sad feelings I was having, so I jumped in the studio and wrote this song. These are always great exercises in "mental clarifying" because I have SOOO much to consider between the arrangement, instrumentations, tones, and even what the drums are going to do. Usually by the time I am finished, I will achieve a place of clarity (for a little while, anyway).

The electric guitar on this track were all about Gretsch guitars (6120 w/ Filtertrons and a Duo-Jet w/ Dynasonics) and the POD Pro. The amp presets would have been the AC30 and the Deluxe Reverb. For the nylon string lead, I used a Godin Multi-AC. That was played through the POD Pro on the "tube preamp" model.

The bass was done a fretless Fender Jazz, using the AC100 model in the Bass POD Pro. The violins were played by me using a Brian Moore C.90.P.13 (Peizo and MIDI equipped via an RMC system). The violin was courtesy of a Roland Sound Canvas.

The drums are a hybrid - some of the simple stuff in the beginning is EZDrummer, as is most of the "click" patterns. The rest were me playing my Gretsch Broadkaster drums, mic'd with Audix D-series mics. Drums were layered last, thus the hybrid approach - when mixing some of the EZDrummer stuff worked really well.

Anyway, it's a little different, but it's one I enjoy!!

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/april-rain

HAHAHAA, after listening to it again I forgot the organ solo!!!! That was a cool moment for me. I had been working on knowing how to play the keys. Don't remember the instrument sound, but it would have come from the Arturia V Collection, and played via a 49-key Arturia MIDI controller.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018