Less complicated entry into modeling

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AmpedUp, Aug 26, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I play for free. Carrying amps, moving PA equipment, drum cases, other road cases.....that's what I get paid for.

AmpedUp, mmd and Rhust like this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yeah very few gigs yield profit. We make money - our booking agent makes sure of it, lol. If we get paid they get paid....BUT we're not talking about a lot, usually we're at about $80 for a 30 min set, $150-$200 for an hour. We DO get a guaranteed amount, plus food (if we travel), plus an added 20% (or provided) for boarding (which is rare). If we play later on the bill out-of-town, we get the boarding boost. Most promoters will just put us on first or second - which we actually prefer anyway, lol. Going first allows us to take out time loading in and setting up. We get a better, more detailed sound check and - this is the biggest one - we play to the biggest crowds!!

The only place I really make money with music is via sessions. But those aren't as steady as they used to be.

Anyway, it's mostly about the fun - be it at home, or in front of others. Having gear to inspire you is what makes it the best!!

Rhust, AmpedUp and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. northernguitarguy

I'll add you gotta know how to use your gear, at least for your contribution. Nothing worse than a rehearsal where a mate learns how to use their flashy kit on the floor, especially with heavy distortion players. Inexcusable if it happens at a gig.

Rhust and AmpedUp like this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, for sure!! I was between bands when I made my switch to the Helix. I was actually VERY concerned showing up to an audition with a modeler. Luckily, I knew it by then and had my sound already set up. They had an open mind, which helped - but yeah, knowing your rig and tone makes ALL the difference!!

northernguitarguy, AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  5. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

It's looking more and more like I'm trying to reduce the amount of "flash" I have.:)

mmd and northernguitarguy like this.
  6. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

A guy's gotta have what a guy's gotta have. Not denying anything from you at all.
    I have a "One Control - Black Loop" for wierd stuff I mess around with, but it really doesn't take the place of a true loop. It can be placed after the Amplifirebox if desired and have one or two loops used for whatever, or before the Amplifirebox to have a wet/dry signal if desired, one through and one around. But that's not exactly in between the preamp and amp either way.

Rhust likes this.
  7. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

This^^. Except for the country and newer more djenty modern stuff.

I'm thinking it's perfect for me having only 9 amps/presets in the Amplifirebox, and that possibly having the idea of creating or adjusting/saving each preset with the B/M/T and Gain knobs etc... while they are all at 12:00 for instance, middle ground would be just right if that would truly work. Just thinking of ways outside the box to put patches on an even playing field where they're all normalized to a given setting of some way, then saved like that. It may not work. But it has me thinking about it.

I don't really care for all the extra added effects besides a boost or some reverb, and what you describe while I'm playing at home, for me, it's just a switch flipped and I've got 8 other presets/amps. Or after a week or two or three, I can upload 9 different presets for that week. No massive effects options, connectability options, or a loop. I'm good. Almost like Cherrysunburst2000 likes it. Guitar-Amp-Cord, well, almost.:rofl:

Rhust likes this.
  8. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

You and Northern can play! You two can make anything sound good.

northernguitarguy, jdto and mmd like this.
  9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA, thanks man!! I am sure you make things sound great also! Music is an expression of who we are, and as long as it is honest - it's all good!

AmpedUp and northernguitarguy like this.
  10. northernguitarguy

Absolutely not! Enjoy the stuff that's out there. My point was made in memory of good guys who brought new gear (not modelling gear, but multi-fx pedals, Line 6, Digitech, etc. stuff) to jam and it really sucked waiting five minutes between songs while they tap dance. I've been guilty of it too, but no more. Nobody should have to suffer someone else's learning curve.

And BTW, I'm a total hack, I'm lucky to have great players willing to be bandmates. #middleagecrazy

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  11. northernguitarguy

As mentioned, I'm a total fraud!! But Steve, our new lead knows how to bring it. :dude:

mmd and AmpedUp like this.
  12. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Just realizing that I really need to learn guitar first, before trying all the added effects. Walk-run.....

13. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

He's bringing it for sure. One of my favorites too. Modesty is a good thing you two have. My hands don't move as good any more, and definately not like that.

When I machine/build engines, I can "just play". I've earned and acquired the right tools for me to do that job, but, it's about the playing journey for me too, and how each is different. No worries. Totally enjoying the play time. Glad to have guys here like this that can open up new visions as well. Thanks for sharing.

All the newer tech leads to new pathways and seeing many new ways to get the job done. Ask 100 people how to do something and get 100 different answers which just may end up with the very same or similar results. Great happenings this day and age.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  14. northernguitarguy

I have been scoffed at for believing this. Apparently, I was wrong.

AmpedUp likes this.
  15. northernguitarguy

There is that, there's also the fun to be had by adding some FX to your tone. I can remember the first time I heard myself with a Chorus effect, I was playing with some friends at a 'rent-a-studio' and I was playing through a Roland JC. I was still in an early learning phase, but suddenly felt like my chord strumming was being done by a pro! I could just play simple chord progressions and it sounded like my tone was being sung by angels.
    So, while I agree that the best thing to strengthen technique is to practice everything on an acoustic, there are joys to using FX that can inspire playing.

AmpedUp, mmd and Rhust like this.
  16. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I used to be a bit of a pedalhead. Oddly, post Kemper/Axe switch, I actually, tend to play just amp model/profile, with a little reverb, sometimes. OCCASIONALLY I'll use a boost dirt pedal on these boxes with the amp. But, generally, I like just me and the amp (simulated).

Rhust, AmpedUp and northernguitarguy like this.
  17. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I totally think it's "thing"!! I remember my first foray into programming my GCX loops with all the effects I had available from 2 rack processors and two trays of stomp boxes. This was only a few years ago, too....

I had always been (and am pretty much back to) being a minimalist player. All I needed was:

A great guitar -> wah (sometimes) -> a drive/boost -> amp/cab

I used onboard reverb and that was it. I HAD played around with delays in the loop, and eventually dropped the wah for a Phase 90, but it wasn't NEEDED.

Programming that GCX system was because my singer at the time wanted more "texture" in the songs - her goal was to make us morph from a hard rock band into Muse (lol). It was BEYOND overwhelming. With a stereo amp I had wet/dry, all wet, bouncing/swirling effects, multiple drives, different delays for different parts of songs. It actually STILL gives me a headache thinking about it, lol....

THAT rig was the end of that band. It was TOO MUCH all the time. The rig was HEAVY, overly complicated and TOTALLY against my playing style/philosophy. The ONLY thing I liked about it was having my songs programmed into the Ground Control Pro - I had song title and key signature in the screen. THAT was great - no more paper set lists!!

Once that band called it a day, I went back to a simple rig (as listed above). It was much better. That was with the "Outlaw Country Rock" (?!?) band. It was GREAT!!!

Switching over to the Helix COULD have been a nightmare, but having already messed with the craziness I knew it would be KISS....and that's all I did.

While I AM doing things a little more "creatively" in the Helix, it still comes down to:

guitar -> drive -> amp -> reverb -> cab ->delay

Simple.

However, I DID make a patch for a guy on the Helix forum that maxed out ALL the DSP. He is a worship player and wanted me to make him a two amp rig with multiple drives, delays, reverbs and an "ambient" patch. Took me TWO WEEKS to get it done!!! Then he complained about how it sounded too bassy and junky with his guitar (typical, right? THAT'S a whole other story...)

While the options ARE there, and it's cool to have them, it's also nice to know that I don't HAVE to have them to sound good!!!

AmpedUp and northernguitarguy like this.
  18. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Delay, chorus, and reverb are the ones I primarily touch on. Flanger or phaser occasionally. Tremolo, vibrato stuff, not so much. Chorus is glorious over clean tones for sure. But definitely have been overloading on effects lately with 3 modeling units chocked full of them.

Worst of it seems to be the Amplifirebox UPS scheduled delivery date is shown to be on my wedding anniversary.

A man's got to know his limitations!

Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  19. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

That's the goal here too. Simplify, learn songs, improve techniques, become more proficient with less fiddling.

Learn the amps I'm using, in the specific amp models just as with tubes, controlling gain with volume rolloff and tone rolloff, etc.