Less complicated entry into modeling

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AmpedUp, Aug 26, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yeah, but I'm a fuckin idiot! My TT sometimes has too many controls for me to deal with. ;)

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  2. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

option-paralysis is a thing. it exists, and it is rough.

AmpedUp and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Everyone has different tastes and needs. For myself, even as a home player for many years in my old age, I cannot stand hearing just one amp sound for distortion and one for cleans, semi-cleans. One, the music I like is all over the place (Blues, country, rock - modern and old) and one guitar sound of each won't do justice to the songs, and two I get bored/tired of any one sound after a time. The latter I think eventually is experienced by most guitar players. There are not many guitarists that have stuck to the same amp for decades.

Rhust and AmpedUp like this.
  4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

TZD has the crux of it. I think it's aim is for the guy, live who has one, maybe two tones at most, that wants to use a verty simple to use Modeler, thet REALLY saves on space or weight. The multiple amp models, is because not all players have the same tonal area, even for that 1 or 2 tones.

jdto, mmd and AmpedUp like this.
  5. cybermgk

Ditto for my Kemper OTHER than how to cable and do a profile. Axe, with Axe Edit, same thing really. Not to just play OOB (which both are more than great at).

AmpedUp likes this.
  6. cybermgk

Well, see, for you (and myself, Frankand many others) this is why modelers are perfect. It is either that, or spend a $hitload of $$$ on a lot of amps.

But, there ARE many like NGG who really do have just a few base tones they need/want, and can get that with 1-3 amps.

mmd, Rhust, AmpedUp and 1 other person like this.
  7. cybermgk

Heck, there are players that stick with acoustic guitar their entire life. That is basically, technically, one tone. I say that, knowing full well, that better players than I can coax a plethora of tones, via strumming, different hybrid picking, rhythms, etc out of one acoustic guitar. Can cover a LOT of ground with an acoustic, or even one amp.

That said, me, personally, love all the options at my fingertips, with the Axe and Kemper. :)

northernguitarguy, Rhust and AmpedUp like this.
  8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

This device reminds me a lot of the Original SansAmp. That thing was really cool. You basically picked a base tone (amp), add whatever pedals you want, and you're good to go. I loved that thing!!

9. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Tech 21 make fantastic analog gadgets and gear.

pnuggett, AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  10. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

couple of character series pedals, a fly rig and a DI box and you can cover a ton of ground

11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, totally. Man, it took a while (six years, lol) to actually "understand" the SansAmp - it was VERY frustrating to me because it was about nuance and real tone....NOT over the top grind. I actually had to grow into the product. Once I did, I used on many sit-in gigs with people - fill-ins, one nighter type stuff. It was easy. Really, it is what opened my eyes to the concept of modeling, to begin with.

Later on I got a PSA1 "preamp" I would use in the studio. That, along with my old POD Pro, was my "easy" recording solution....and while the tones were/are NOWHERE near as accurate as what I get with the Helix, they were all still VERY usable and worked very well in the mix of a song.

I did a year playing bass in a classic NY thrash band. When I first joined them I used a SansAmp VT Bass pedal with an EBMM bass. It was POWERFUL!!! Later on I moved over to a MarkBass Little 800 with a couple MarkBass cabs - but really I always preferred the tone of the SansAmp. I had WANTED to get the Tech 21 VT Bass Head (500 watts Class D) but they just weren't available on the market yet, despite Tech 21 advertising them.

Here's another company that is doing cool stuff. I have been debating and Ethos for a long time. I am considering getting one of these products and integrating it into Helix, but I am still exploring options. While NOT directly modeling, it kind of seems to fall into the Tech 21 "character" concept....

http://www.customtonesinc.com/

I love the Dumble tone for leads, and I think it would be beneficial for session work....MOST of those sessions is coming in and working out a lead part. It's fun, and often the artist and producer/engineer describe a "Dumble" tone - fluid, sustaining, "singing" lead tone.....

Anyway, a little off topic but interesting none the less....

AmpedUp, Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

i had the Sansamp 2 with the knobs and no micro dip switches. The tone controls were active and very powerfull in shaping the tonal response. DIode clipping for distortion but it was filtered to remove harsh frequecies. Yopu certainly could get cool tones from it but had to write down the exact knob positions to recall the sounds as slight changes affected the sound quite abit unlike the passsive controls on tube amps.

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, yep!! The original with the DIP switches was like that too. Change ONE thing and ALL of it changed. It was frustrating to learn - especially when compared to just using a straight up amp!!

14. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Looks like it would be fun, but my AF3 already does what I need it to do.

Rhust likes this.
  15. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

You're catching on now! I have a DI box and a few pedals and a wah pedal. Not that I need it, but perfect for me. Could even put the amp modeling and or cab sims in the effects loop of the HD500X. Just saying. Many options from the little box even still.

mmd likes this.
  16. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Lots of folks saying why it won't work for them in this thread, but I've already found quite a few how "I" can.

Rhust and mmd like this.
  17. mmd

mmd Senior Member

This is what I used to do with the SansAmp (the DI thing). It worked GREAT for what is was - which was a SUPER easy to hook up rig for only playing a song or two with a band. I had a cable to the guitar, and a cable from the DI to the PA. Problem solved. It was all installed on a small board (mid-late 90s, not so much cool stuff like now, lol) at the end of my pedal chain, which included a drive box and a delay.

The effects loop aspect is what I am debating with the Ethos. While it has DI cab sims, I think it would be KILLER using it with a variety of IRs and different Helix effects. Shoot, I could even put it with other amps in a multi-amp rig.....options galore!!

That's the big part!! If you know how you'd use it, and it "works" go for it!

AmpedUp likes this.
  18. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Thank you mmd for the good words of encouragement! I received shipping notification today.

mmd likes this.
  19. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Those of you that play for money may not identify with me, being that I don't even play for people! Ha!

mmd, Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

oh I completely understand... but even playing at home I would want an efx loop :) that's just how I roll :D