Less complicated entry into modeling

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AmpedUp, Aug 26, 2017.

1. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

jdto, tzd and Rhust like this.
  2. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I'm sure it sounds just fine. But can't decide whether it looks super simple, or completely confusing with all of those switches and no screen telling the player which setting they're on.

Will be interested to hear opinions after people use these for a while.

3. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Less complicated depends on how you define it. Sure the controls are traditional, but these unit's controls are highly interactive (based on my use of Studio Devil which this basically is) so while you can dial in a tones try recalling them easily with out a PC or swapping between them quickly. Quick view of the manual shows with that box standalone all yoou can do is toggle between two presets and switch effect/boost on off.
    Sound wise Studio Devil was pretty good so I'd imagine this would sound as good.
    I just think they swapped out features and on the fly use for saving money, no big deal if all you want is recording, but I'll likely spend tbe extra for those features.

AmpedUp likes this.
  4. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

KenG, It's perfect for me as an at home player. It's definitely got limitations for alot of folks who "want" more.
    The two left toggle switches being 3 position switches are used to select from 9 factory loaded presets or snagged from the AA3 / AA12, etc. Simple to me from what the manual shows. Maybe not to all. The manual is VERY straightforward.

5. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

You can assign more than one effect to a footswitch as with AA3 and set another set of effects in inverted mode to be alternated back and forth with, per preset.

6. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Alot of newcomers to modeling can easily become overwhelmed and intimidated from the start upon seeing the user manual for their device the first time. Sometimes the sheer number of pages can put a mind block on wanting to even learn the unit.

Here's some perspective on page count. Not every unit, just a few of the newest and or known common ones. I already had a few saved, so only looked for a few right quick like.

Kemper deeper view reference manual: 195 page pdf file.

HD500X user manual: 119 page pdf file.

Fractal AX8 user manual: 111 page pdf file.

GSP1101 user manual: 64 page pdf file.

Helix LT user manual: 61 page pdf file.

Amplifire 3 user manual: 44 page pdf file.

Amplifirebox user manual: 24 page pdf file.

Rhust, northernguitarguy and tzd like this.
  7. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Yes I'm aware of the switches, they are on tbe SD as well. What I meant is you'd have reach down to play with the switches while playing in real time to do more than toggle between two selected savings with the foot switches so it doesn't the full foot control accessibility Axe AX8 orHelix does with unit itself.
    What are you playing or planning to play through?

AmpedUp likes this.
  8. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Gonna say, I've only briefly glanced at those roughly 120 pages of the Pod500x manual and gleaned nearly all I know of my unit from YouTube.

Still and all, the familiar format of assigning effects to a switch in a pedal board format is fair more intuitive for me.

AmpedUp likes this.
  9. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Yes, I do see what you meant about the limitations and how it could be difficult if gigging the unit. It may not fit everyone's needs.

I'm realizing that I'm not using all of the options of the AA3 and am willing to give it a shot. The Marshall based amps, boost, EQ, and a little reverb is pretty much what I use regularly. Maybe the twin cleans once in a while. I don't have to have an effects loop either. That's probably a deal breaker for alot of folks.

Currently have a XiTone powered wedge on order and for now I'm playing through some budget studio monitors with a Crown XLS1000 amp. Also have a pretty decent 2x12 cab and a budget 4x12 cab which I've plugged into on occasion with my older modelers. Just looking for a really decent powered wedge to finish out this system.

10. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I'm fairly computer literate and enjoy learning the units. Some don't. You also seem to be adaptable. I run through the on screen menus like you and grab the manual if needed or stuck.

Not directed at any one person or at everyone because this specific form factor is going to have its niche market for sure.

For the person wanting to test the sounds to see if they like it, it's a fair price to try with a smaller learning curve to match. I can see it being a stepping stone to the bigger more full featured floorboards. Pros and cons per person.

This unit really seems like one of the easiest to start with so far, and the amp modeling is also really decent. There will always be situations where it won't work for a person and that's ok. It's definitely priced right and sounds good, being that it's the same hardware/software, just less features than its bigger brothers.

11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Looks cool, but also looks kind of useless for live playing.

I'll echo not wanting to read a tome just to hear my guitar. My favourite amps have come with less than five page manuals, one page dedicated to a diagram and another to a schematic.

dsmcl77, Rhust, Donal and 1 other person like this.
  12. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

This :yesway:

Oh, I havn`t read my Helix Manual yet and I am getting great tones already ;)

13. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

The Axe FX II manual is over 200 pages, and that is just the main manual. There are 3 others for tone matching, IR Capturing, and a mini manual for scenes. Don't think I have ever looked at one of them. I just dove right in and started tweaking, and anything else I have picked up has been from Fractal forum members, or youtube.

Never read any of the owners manuals on my tube amps either. lol

AmpedUp and northernguitarguy like this.
  14. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

So how many reading this thread DON'T have a modeling unit of any kind, or have never played through one? Even a Redbox or Two Notes Torpedo that models cabs on an amp outout is a form of modeling of some sort.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  15. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

That would be me. I thought by the thread title this might be an easy entry. But it wouldn't work in our cover band where we play songs in mini sets. I have enough on my mind with vocals/rhythm guitar. The band would be halfway through a song and I'd still be fiddling with settings. Again, the unit looks cool, but right now I couldn't justify buying something I couldn't take to the stage.

AmpedUp likes this.
  16. KenG

KenG Senior Member

This has more or less been Atomics issue from the start. Their products are based on Studio SW, high quality modelling but meant for situations where you can take the time to tweak between pressing the record button or can get away with limited on the fly changes live. It seems like they are trying to target an audience that would live with modelling as far as hearing goes but can't stomach the look of a full functikn modellling setup. It's a strange position sincesome diehard amp lovers have very messy and complex pedal boards!
    Go figure!
    Atomics customer response, evven emailing customer service has been reported as very poor, sometimes non-existent.
    Of course in Canada no one is as bad as KORG (the distributors for VOX, a virtually non-existent company with a name applied). My Q's about my VOX amp went into a black hole at KORG, not even a reply to say received it!

17. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Northern and Ken, you are both pretty much saying why it's perfect for me as well as why it's not for you or maybe for alot of others. I'm okay with it. I realize it doesn't work for you.

Me being the at home hacker that really doesn't need full functionality like you do. It has caused me to reassess my own setup of my previous modelers being so full featured and acknowledging what I really use and the willingness to downsize. More minimalist approach I guess vs a person wanting to have more options on tap. It's all good.

KenG and northernguitarguy like this.
  18. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I don't know what you people find so complicated about the Amplifirebox. Those are just the same knobs you would find on an amp, and you simply use it like you would a single-channel amp.

Sure there are 9 amp models for you to select from with two 3-way toggle switches, but basically once you find the sound you like, you plug it in and play.

It's not meant for you if you need to change channels and patches during a song. It's for people who just want to plug a guitar into an amp and play a whole set on one setting, or use pedals before the amp for effects.

jdto and AmpedUp like this.
  19. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I did personally have an issue with one of the navigation buttons on my AA3 where I emailed with no response, then called Tom directly and he answered on the first ring. He took care of business. No complaints. I posted a quick shout out here when that occurred and gave props to him.

Rhust likes this.
  20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

what if I told you I didn't have to read shit to figure out the helix... well, I did glance at the cheat sheet (one page)

ease of use, without a PC connected was a major factor in my decision in going with the helix. that said, you can also get 'option paralysis'... so many good options that you cannot make a decision.

the fire box is puzzling to me... for 'live' it would basically be neutered to being the same as a tech 21 character pedal... no loop, no switching (easily), no patches, etc... granted, I mainly went modelling to simplify my 'live' setup. and this one just made no sense to me. if you put the delay, reverb etc after the amp, you can't use the DI out