Leslie's PAF

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Mouse, May 14, 2011.

1. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

I made some clips in 'devil's workshop' thread and it's about restoring 60's Drake output transformer, the guitar LP is equiped with my pickups so I though to share some sound insights with you. As a guitar player and winder it's real joy and fun for me to research the way how sistem ( guitar, pickups, amp, transformers, speakers) is affecting the birth of some sound picture. I been repairing vintage pickups and winding my stuff since 1998, transformers whole lotta more.
    Here's my take on PAF design, LP straight into '71 Marshall JMP50

Lady Drake Test dynamics.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    Lady Drake.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    Lady Drake 1st Test.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    Pot blues.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kresho69

kresho69 Member

This reminds me, I' ve promised to put a clip with Leslie's neck PAF a while ago. I posted a bridge clip to good reviews, but months after, I was too busy to record a demo of the neck.

What has changed? Well, since the last clip (Devil's workshop) I've stolen my brothers Mesa Dual Caliber 50W V30 combo :dude:. I am so into the cleans of this amp, the EQ can be set to take out the best of any pickup/guitar configuration. Some people are skeptic as to how "modern" amps take PAF's. Well, these pickups are really flexible, and I've put them through Vox AC15 heritage w/alnicos, several Mesa Boogies, various Fenders (I took the guitar one day to a Fender dealer and tortured the staff for hours - Bassman 59', Princeton reissue, 57' twin amp...:D)

Leslie's PAF's have certain qualities which I love - they have a great thump, pickup responds perfectly to finger/pick attack. They have humbucker strength but without mudiness - they keep their definition as they go up, as if the strength was channeled exactly where it should be - to give notes great attack, sustain and clarity. Forget about the standars LP issue - you know when you set the bridge perfectly and switch to neck and feel as if you put a blanket over the amp?

I recorded this little clip to show how good it sounds when you play it fingerstyle - an ultimate test in clarity and definition for eyery pickup. Never thought I could play fingerstyle so clearly on LP.

What urged me to make this clip is what happened to me today. I was jamming and played some solo. I caught a great moment and feel and all of the sudden my right thumb produced some of the coolest ghost notes in the universe. The guitar squealed and sung like crazy. I think it is called "ghost note epiphany":slash:

In this demo (neck only!), watch out for the solo - listen to the described thump attack and how good it sounds when you apply vibrato - the sustain is super duper. For those who want to hear the bridge PU, search Devil's workshop, there is some great stuff there)
    Great PAF's!

Something 1.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

3. Dr.Distortion

Dr.Distortion V.I.P. Member

Very nice... Great work guys!

4. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Nice work!!

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

sounds great :applause: I particularly like the Villanova Junction bit :thumb:

6. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Thanks for the listening guys :)

7. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I'm at work and hopefully will be able to check'em tonight at home.

I'm very glad to see that there is some serious movement in the small builder (aka ''boutique'') world going on in this side of the world. Mouse, Wizz pickups, JAM Pedals and many more. Keep'em coming guys!

Mouse likes this.
  8. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_zy00BHXOY]YouTube - SFDR & LP[/ame]

9. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

10. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

11. Ithamar1

Ithamar1 Senior Member

Leslie, was that a guitar/cord/amp on Youtube? It sounded great.

12. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Yes Richard, and still is under name - Leslie's PAF pickups.... if you mean clip with silverface deluxe reverb, above is just shorter version.

13. Ithamar1

Ithamar1 Senior Member

Oh man, I dont need more pickups, I have to buy an extra guitar then.
    Will they make my 175 KILLER (try that, 175, your pu's, DR and Fleedwood :) )

14. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Do you want to kill guitar or someone? Yourself :shock:
    I can put TNT inside, no extra charge :thumb:

I have to restrung my guitar the strings are 4 months old and I'll try another Neck hum. ->

[​IMG]

15. Ithamar1

Ithamar1 Senior Member

My 175 looks very cool but sounds average so I'm considering swapping pickups.
    So it must be a real noticable upgrade towards the Pat no's that are in there now.
    So I actually would like to hear a 175 with and without your pickups, to see if it makes a difference.
    If I decide that I'm going to swap, they are going to be yours :)

16. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Hoyla Richard,
    we can arrange something for your ES175, no problem :cool:

In the meanwhile let's continue with low quality home videos, new neck pickup and strings are on so let's give it a ride.
    Amp is 18W Marsh Clone

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAsFP7QgX2A]YouTube - ‪PoT MoviE Leslie's Neck‬‏[/ame]

17. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

^^^^

That is some SERIOUS tone brother!:shock:

VERY well done!

:applause:

Mouse likes this.
  18. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

sorry I am curious but who is behind leslie pickups - `is there a website
    i guess it is not wizz ?
    thanks for teaching me

19. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

the Devil himself ...she enslaved me and now I must wind pickups and that's pity cause I like free time on my hands. Wizz is in another town 100miles northeast and he's doing his own pickups. The thing is... the Devil don't use websites just PM that's how she arranges business. Just horrible, she told me Mouse you are going to wind pickups, play guitar and learn english..but I said I don't know anything about any...she said now you do.... her name was Leslie...
    That's the story, if you need some more stories PM

66 galaxie and mdubya like this.
  20. Ithamar1

Ithamar1 Senior Member

I knew the devil is a woman but I thought she was my wife :)
    Today I plugged my 175 in my 18w Marshclone and noticed I set the tone back to 4 on the bridge and 6 or so on the neck.. it is damn bright, that guitar (I have not really played it amplified yet)
    This week when I have a little time I will see if I can make a clip, comparing the 175 against my goldtop or custom.

tonebone likes this.