Les Trem 2 with Bigsby arm

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Number6, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Number6

Number6 Senior Member

Just FYI.

Had a Duesenberg Les Trem II last year and I liked it, but there was an amount of play in the arm that I couldn't fix (stop the play and it was too tight to move up and down). Also didn't like the look of the arm and the way it attached to the trem. Awkward visually. Took it off and gave it away.

Decided to try again because I really wanted a trem and the other LP options didn't grab me. I know people here like a Les Paul with a Bigsby but I just do not like the look of all that metal. Also difficult to string them. Tried a Stetsbar and sent it back (it was awful...loose arm whatever I did and there was no way to get a decently low action because the whole unit was too thick top to bottom). Didn't seem very well made, to be honest.

Anyway, got another Les Trem and ordered a Bigsby arm and mounting screw at the same time (trem from Germany and the arm from Arkansas...both arrived the same day). Hoped I would be able to combine the 2.
    The latest Les Trem is better engineered than the one I got last year. The arm is attached better. But as I had the Bigsby arm I took it apart and reassembled it with it. Fits nicely and looks better, IMO.
    Result, IMO, is Les Paul trem perfection. Does what a Bigsby does but far less bulky and garish. Also has a very low string angle over the bridge (same as doing a Bonamassa stringing around the stoptail) so less friction than a Bigsby and stringing is super easy too. String ball ends just slip in from the top.

Here are pics. The pickups are Duncan Phat Cats....this is a rockabilly guitar now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. harrie 0492

harrie 0492 Senior Member

It looks much better with a Bigsby b7, but he thats me a Bigsbyfreak.

3. pfox14

pfox14 Senior Member

Very slick looking in gold. Nice job

4. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Cool I like the bjgsby arm on it. It's a little disconcerting, but not in a bad way - it looks like there's just a bigsby arm inexplicably attached to the stop tail. A tremolo springing from nowhere.

As much as I like the look of a bigsby this is really cool! When you drop pitch does it raise the strings up or roll them forward like a bigsby?

5. Number6

Number6 Senior Member

It rolls like a Bigsby. The base plate is fixed firmly in the stoptail holes and the bit that the string ends fit into rocks on a pivot bar.

It's one of these with an Allparts Bigsby arm.

Google Image 'Duesenberg Les Trem' for more pics if you're curious.

6. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

I'd love to hear a sound clip of that thing.

7. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Is there anyone in the USA that actually sells them? I want to try one on my Epi "Custom Shop" Dot in gold like yours.

8. Number6

Number6 Senior Member

Gigged it the other night...worked a treat. For getting them in the USA I believe the shop I linked to in post 5 will ship there. Otherwise try contacting Duesenberg and see if they have any agents or outlets there.

9. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Thank you- I was able to order from that vendor. Don't really know how much I paid-they did not have an on-site currency conversion. It still seemed affordable -about 98 Euros including 30 EU shipping to USA. I might try the bigsby handle mod too, but I want to wait until I install the present configuration. This trem has its own clean look-more "tech" than Bigsby but not cluttered either. Going on my Epi Dot, a 2009 with original gold and curly top-"passed through the Epi Custom Shop."

10. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

If you could further help, do you have part numbers for the Bigsby arm conversion? The arm is pretty obvious but not the screw or other connecting hardware. Thanks.

I found the arm and found Bigsby screw/washer/nut in gold as well. Is that what I need?

11. Number6

Number6 Senior Member

I got this and this.
    Did a bit of experimenting with washers and stuff (including the brown one that came with the trem) but I seem to have it right now. Personal taste and YMMV and all that. I gigged it and just used it without ever thinking 'I need to adjust that later' so I'm happy.
    A good set up for the money, and it reverses back to a normal LP in about 10 minutes if you wish.

12. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Thank you--Les Trem is on its way from Germany and Bigsby handle and hardware coming from Arkansas.

13. Number6

Number6 Senior Member

Hope it works out for you. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

14. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Les Trem has arrived and I also have the Bigsby parts. Thomann in Germany were fast. The trem unit is very well executed. Plating (gold) is perfect and the hardware package makes good sense. I believe that I will be satisfied with this when installed.

My thanks to Number 6 for the idea and the help.

15. Bigsby'd

Bigsby'd Senior Member

Nice. I haven't seen this one. Looks well thought out.

16. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

My daily player has a Bigsby licensed 70 so this is just fooling around. But, up close and solid in the hand,;well, yes, it is a pretty impressive piece of work. I am not certain that I will substitute the Bigsby arm- the as designed handle is comfortable and looks better in person than in a photo- the swap only requires an ignition style open end wrench and an allen, then the same wrench and a medium large Phillips.

17. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Thought I'd share this video of a Deluxe fitted with a Duesenberg Les Trem II. This unit fits on any stop tailpiece guitar. While it admittedly doesn't look as cool as Bigsby B7, from what I've read it's a better design. Better tuning stability and easier to restring. If you've ever tried a Duesenberg you know what quality to expect.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUy9ThTD_RU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUy9ThTD_RU[/ame]

18. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Nice thinking outside the box. I like it.

19. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Nickel plated - by the way. Good!

For EU customers, it's 80 euro at Thomann (who also ship internationally).
    Good price, I think - compared to a new Bigsby unit + Vibramate.

You can also find it on eBay. But I can't find it listed in the Duesenberg US catalog posted here: https://www.duesenbergusa.com/specs/index.html. You'd better ask what's what.

Looks pretty sweet (but note that the TP studs were reused in these photos. Looks silly):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. charliebrown

charliebrown Member

Do you have the part names for the Bigsby parts? I am looking to do the same like what you did but the eBay listings no longer exist. :(