Les Paul Ultra III Nanomag issues (Crosspost from Epiphone Les Pauls)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by divots, Mar 7, 2018.

1. divots

divots Junior Member

Again I am looking for insight......

I just acquired a 2011 Epi Les Paul Ultra III. Chased a MAJOR buzzing issue for about 3 days. Saw where some people were attributing this to the nanomag pickup on the end of the fingerboard. (Magnetic field altering string vibrations) I loosened the nano from the fingerboard and let it drop in the body cavity. Restrung, checked action, adjusted truss rod, and NO MORE BUZZING.

Searches turned up a possible fix of lowering the nanomag "shelf" 3 mm. Anybody done this? Is 3 mm enough? I assume at some point nanomag signal gets lost.

Will post in Luthere section as well.

Thanks guys!!!

2. divots

divots Junior Member

3. Fineguitar

Fineguitar Junior Member

I have found that Buzzing and Hum with popping sounds are complaints posted time and time again. The answer to these questions seems to be different in each case. All are probably valid as there are many things that could cause these complaints.
    I have a 2017 Ultra 3. When use Guitar Rig a Hum appears. Turns out the problem is with grounding between the Guitar and the laptop. I found this out by plugging the Guitar into a practise AMP and even with the Amps power off the Hum goes away. The Laptop is plugged in and I haven't resolved this yet but I'm thinking that if the ground the USB port Gnd wire or Ground the speaker (-) lead. Well I'm still exploring an answer.
    Also I did have very minor fret Buzz that I resolved by installing thinner strings. I am using Gibson Brite wires .009 to .042 instead of .010 to .046. It was not just the thin wires, however, it is also less tension and that made a great difference. I have adjusted the Intonation and Like the lower tension. Easier bending, Fuller more bodied sound.