Les Paul Studio Appreciation

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Roman4405, Mar 29, 2012.

1. integra evan

integra evan Senior Member

Thanks! Yep it's Wine Red. Its a little lighter in color in person. I also have cream plastics on it as well as reverse zebra bobbin pickups, so its looking different now...but seeing how it looked back then makes me want to throw the black plastics back on lol

scozz likes this.
  2. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

Great thread - just been looking back at all the Studios folks shared from circa 2013!

Until recently I had this beauty:
    [​IMG]

Sold it to get a PRS Mira (heresy!!!) as it will do “that Strat thing” but, man, seeing all these Lesters ... makes me want one all over again!

3. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Now here’s something I’ve never seen... a Studio with body and neck binding!! :wow:

The pics aren’t coming up...the post is on pg 14. Can some of you guys take a look at it and tell me if you’ve seen these Studios before?

I don’t get it...what makes this a Studio??

4. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

I would guess, body thickness. Studios have a thinner mahogany section so are a tiny bit thinner than a Standard.

5. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Funny, I posted in this thread back in 2012 when I had my 2011 Studio which is on the 2nd page. I since have had many guitars, and still had that Studio until I moved to California late 2015 with limited room in my car. I sold it to a friend who still has it and brags about how well it plays and sounds. He has bigger hands and likes the thicker neck, where I have come to find over time that I like the slim taper necks.

This past year I purchased the 2017 Studio HP, which is one of the best guitar I have ever owned. Definitely a player with a great feel to it and the 490R 498T pickups give it a lot of versatility. This guitar I hope will never leave my possession.
    [​IMG]

SaltFox, El Pablo and scozz like this.
  6. scozz

scozz Senior Member

That could be @tolm ....but really... a 1/4” or less makes a difference? To me I always thought that what makes a Studio a Studio, was the lack of binding. That was the cost savings. If a Studio has the same bindings as a Standard... there’s very little, (minute), difference.

7. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

My old 2011 was not thinner like the newer Studios. It may have been slightly thinner than a Standard or Traditional, but not like they are now. When I purchased my 2014 Studio Pro 120th Anniversary Les Paul, the first thing I noticed was how thin it was compared to my old 2011. At first, I thought I got a bad one that was thin and should be thicker. And then after chatting it up here on MLP, I found they were all thinner, but I am not sure what year they started getting so much thinner.

[​IMG]

8. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

I just got a 1996 studio after ignoring these
    for years, big mistake.

Mine is getting a refret as we speak.
    Jimmy

[​IMG]

9. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Just to compare thickness...my 82 Custom is a hair shy of 1-7/8 in. and my 06 Studio is 1-3/4 in. A difference of 1/8 in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Classicplayer likes this.
  10. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I havent' measured my (Avatar) 2010 Studio Deluxe and compared it to my 2000 Classic as yet. I'm more tuned into the sound differences. Despite having different pickups in each guitar, the Studio has more girth with its 490R/BB Pro; as expected. The Classic has Seths, and also as expected, has a brighter and snappier tone.

I don't consider my Studio Deluxe less of a guitar with respect to tone and playability. For anyone that is contemplating getting a Studio, I recommend trying a few out before buying and don't let the specs put you off of a purchase of one. It's the tone that matters and Studios (a well made and easy-playing one) will let you get your tone and reward you every time you play it. My Studio Deluxe was a used one and in better than excellent shape when I came by it.

Classicplayer

needlespauls likes this.
  11. MSB

MSB Senior Member

body and neck binding

Attached Files:

12. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I’m sorry, I wasn’t very clear @MSB. Yours I believe is a Studio Standard, I’ve seen plenty of those. The LP I’m referring to, (in @rafazu41 post on of pg. 14) has both bindings, (body and neck), AND the traditional trapezoid inlays!!

13. MSB

MSB Senior Member

gotcha, if you go to the custom shop forum, there are several threads where people basically made standards out of studios.

14. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Oh, ok...so you’re saying owners of Studios did this themselves. So this LP was NOT a Gibson model per say. That makes sense.

@rafazu41 did not mention any of this in his post. Thanks for the clarification @MSB! :thumb:

15. integra evan

integra evan Senior Member

The Studios with the binding and dot inlays are known as Studio Standards, an actual Gibson model in the late 80's.

IdntNedUrCvlWar likes this.
  16. Godfather

Godfather Junior Member

IMG_6099.jpg
    This is my first electric...a 2010 LP Studio totally stock configuration. I am just learning about electrics
    and what knob/switch does what, how the settings change the tone, etc, etc.

I bought the LP to help me improve my limited acoustic skills i.e. lighter touch, barre chords etc. So far so good!
    I am really digging the whole electric vibe and learning curve too. Soon I will be learning scales, and who knows,
    maybe some solos too.
    At 64 years old I feel like a kid with the LP ...only wished I would have started playing guitar before I was 58.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    scozz, integra evan and xxjagerxx like this.
  17. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

My only studio............1997 Studio Gem. Had the bridge pickup replaced with a humbucker, love this combo........

[​IMG]

NHTom

scozz, integra evan and Classicplayer like this.
  18. xxjagerxx

xxjagerxx Senior Member

I won this studio back in 2010, Mr Slash scribbled on it :slash:
    Unfortunately I'm a lefty and can't really play it. She's unmodified, mint condition, I pull it out every 6 months, bust a few chords and sniff that sweet nitro, then put it away again.

IdntNedUrCvlWar and scozz like this.
  19. scozz

scozz Senior Member

xxjagerxx likes this.