Les Paul Junior pdf

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DoneOne, Aug 4, 2012.

1. DoneOne

DoneOne Senior Member

Double Cut

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxzbb6524doqtn0/Double Cut LP Jr.pdf

Many thanks to Freddy G and others who handled my pestering with graciousness... namely Archer, BCRGreg. Danelectro, MRJ and Pinefd

The "design study" may or may not be done... you tell me.

Changes can (and probably will) be made - same link.
    After looking at it for so long, I'm probably blind to the mistakes - typos - things I've long since forgotten to include, etc.

Obviously, it's geared for the novice... or at least for someone tackling their first set neck rather than a partscaster.

If you see something that needs correction... or that might help someone avoid pitfalls... then post it here.

There will be a link to this thread in the pdf, so it'll serve as an addendum.
    (is that a misplaced modifier?) :hmm:

I'll probably start in on the SC, I do this sort of thing to wind down in the evenings while watching reruns or weekend sports, etc.

so... if you have a vintage sc, a pair of calipers and would like to volunteer for the cause...

anything and everything helps.

again - constructive criticism and helpful tips are appreciated

2. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

good work

3. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Man that is an awesome piece of work!!!!

4. jonny

jonny Senior Member

That is an incredible amount of detail!

Makes me feel a little bad about what I've got done on my SG plan...

5. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

Thanks for the plans man, really appreciate it. Will be using them soon.

6. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Nice work-and, you must have me confused with another member. I do not criticize the grammar, spelling or general syntax of anyone. In fact, I have jumped on those who do so.

I did a bit of review and cannot find where I ever did anything to you that deserves that kind of comment.

7. Kammo1

Kammo1 Senior Member

All I can say is that has got to have taken you some time to do and most importantly is that you are willing to share this with members on here and for that I do thank you :) "CHEERS!" :)

8. DoneOne

DoneOne Senior Member

those most qualified rarely do.

and neither can I, ...I was remembering your 'Respect for the "Everyman"' post as I was questioning my own writing and asked: Well, who here would know?

I'm sorry it didn't come off with the humor it was meant to have.

1 person likes this.
  9. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

Really appreciate your work!
    Thanks for sharing such a great plan!
    Good job!

10. wombat

wombat Member

Real nice of you to share this thnx man

11. denizdurdag

denizdurdag Member

I was about to start a double cut build. Perfect timing for me :)

Thank you very much.

12. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

PM sent==we are squared away. I was awestruck by the organization and resulting clarity of your work. I admire the patience and creativity(yes, good design drawings require creativity) you invested for us. I am a singlecut man myself, but saved this mainly for its excellence of execution- the while wondering, "Will he grace us with one for the single?" Thanks, jet ( My father was a gifted mechanical engineer and, sadly, I struggle with math and managed no more than a "C" in two high school semesters of mechanical drawing -he, too created technical works of art. I'm taking this PDF to a good plotter for wall art!--doubt I am alone there-)

13. pulaifax

pulaifax Senior Member

great piece of work - thanks

14. DoneOne

DoneOne Senior Member

thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Ole'Lefty: +1 on the single cut. I've been telling myself that this one is practice, though I may have to buy a 55 and a 57 to get the measurements I'd want in order to draw it.

v1.01 includes a link to a bare bones dxf file (if 4.5mb is considered bare)
    There are several legitimate reasons people would want it - so there it is.

the scan that mysteriously disappeared somewhere along the line was also replaced. It's not as sharp after the conversion to pdf, but if you follow the trend of the line, you can see where the pencil angled in and out ever so slightly.

15. sectorix

sectorix Senior Member

DoneOne, amazing work !

i can even imagine what you could do with a PRS Custom 22 ;)
    im willing to help with measurements on my own if you would ever want to chase that.

16. DoneOne

DoneOne Senior Member

having seen the prs production vids, I'd be willing to bet that the body and neck center lines are a lot closer than the average 50s gibson.

It's a very generous offer... maybe after the single cut and this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4198rf35zdyw3u/j_wells ps esq.jpg

what can I say? simple one p'up slabs do it for me... though I've got to admit that rockdog's blackburst build has certainly grabbed my attention.

1 person likes this.
  17. Riku

Riku Senior Member

Wow! I wish this was here before I started my guitar! So much detail...that's incredible! Thankyou for sharing, no doubt it will be useful to many users :)

18. monsterwalley

monsterwalley Premium Member

Another "Wow" here. Amazing detail :thumb: Thanks

19. VictOr358

VictOr358 Senior Member

Thank you very much, man! The amount of precise work you've done is astonishing!

20. Taller76

Taller76 Senior Member

The only thing I seem to be a bit confused on is the truss rod access channel...a bit more detail as to what the red and blue represent would be helpful (on that page)...I assume they represent actual (blue) and the result of using a certain size spotfacer (red)...more detail on spacers (where do they go?) and general info on the best tool, method, and spacers that can be used to create the most accurate channel. (i.e. what do you mean by "1/2” D round washer can be used when using counterbore - i.e. #8 washer"?) ...its clear you put considerable effort into that detail...and I'm glad you did...its much like the secondary control routes on the LPs..seems like a black art.....and Im just not quite clear on what exactly you were trying to convey with the measurements and drawings...in short, more background and detail please ;-) other than that...this is very clear, concise, and extremely well organized. Bravo and thanks very very much!