Les Paul Guitar Nitro Finish and Relicing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex Dovnar, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Alex Dovnar

Alex Dovnar Senior Member

Hi guys. I want to share my video. Maybe someone will be interested. Project - painting replica 59 LP, атв relicing varnish, plastic and metal parts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    kasu, megaweapon, mux164 and 13 others like this.
  2. D Rhinehart

D Rhinehart Senior Member

Great video ! how long are you waiting before the cut and buff .

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Sorry to be the one having to let you know but you've got it all wrong.
    Pretty lame techniques as I can see from here.
    Get with the times.
    Explore new stuff.
    Don't be stuck in old ways.

Consult other MLP threads to find better ways.

Like that thread for example.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/am-i-wrong-thinking-this-is-insanity.397916/

Presenting the Miller Lite aging technique.
    A real Gem.

:D
    P.S.: Great work!

4. Alex Dovnar

5. Alex Dovnar

Thank you. Drying time between layers. from 2 to 12 hours.

Who and D Rhinehart like this.
  6. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

My preferred way of ageing a guitar is to play it every day and, if you do that, gig with it regularly. Then it gains an authentic patina of age and use that is infinitely preferrable to faked ageing which is better described as intentionally damaging a new instrument. While you are free to do as you wish with any guitar you own or build, I am solidly in that segment of the guitar loving population that considers relic'ing new instruments to be an absurd exercise in fakery. I would never purchase a relic'ed instrument. To me it's on the same level as going to the local martial arts store and buying yourself a karate uniform and a black belt and saying you have a black belt in karate, without having actually taken any lessons. It's morally distressing.

yamariv, Blue Blood and Skyjerk like this.
  7. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

I always thought people buying new Levi's and hacking the knees out was peculiar, now, not so. Its all part & parcel of peoples personal preferences.

Apart from the methods used trying to get a Show Finish to a Relic are much the same thing. Both to be the best they can be.

mux164 and Alex Dovnar like this.
  8. D Rhinehart

D Rhinehart Senior Member

I too agree with some of you to an extent , I build new guitars period. But what I can appreciate is the techniques he is sharing which could be used in a restoration project which I often do . Anyone sharing their artform or techniques is always in my opinion a good thing. Just my 2 cents

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

People who assume it is 'fakery' are generally consumed with the fact that the only reason for having an old looking guitar is trying to deceive - as in you paid your dues.....or something else similarly old fashioned.
    I wonder if you are a fake if you buy a secondhand guitar - lets face it that is just as fake as buying a karate uniform and a black belt

Either way, the artform of making something look old is just as viable as making a faded burst.......or indeed buying a burst already sprayed with a colour that mimics an old guitar with a faded burst.
    I wonder if the relic haters have a double standard and are happy to buy a teaburst.....or dirty lemon. Because lets face it that is exactly the same thing.

10. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

Actually I like my 'bursts to be brilliant and absolutely unfaded. However, I don't consider any color choice to be fakery of any sort. It's not the color of aged lacquer that annoys me, it's the entire process of intentionally ageing a new guitar to simulate the years of wear and tear that come from natural usage. Let your guitar earn its scars, its wrinkles, its age spots. And like all of us, if we take good care of ourselves, perhaps we and our guitars will acquire them very slowly.

11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

So its beyond your capabilities to consider it an artform then, and a demonstration of skill like the act of making a guitar.....

mux164 and Who like this.
  12. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

The thing is, some people don't want their guitars to have marks. Some like their guitars to remain pristine. Not a mark on them. I mean, I dislike a clownburst as much as a bad relic job. I only care if a show finish or relic is done right. Both require attention to detail.

mux164 likes this.
  13. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Holy hell man, I can't unsee this :wtf:

Watched both OPs vids, nice job so far. Can't wait to see part 3.

mux164 and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  14. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I agree some relicing jobs are a bit much.
    Some newby playing a distressed guitar looks kind of "off".

But choosing a "relic finish" is absolutely fine.
    I remember when I was young, the window moldings where we lived were made of oak
    and the varnish had cracked in every direction making a nice patina of tiny irregular squares.

[​IMG]

I have since moved several times and nowadays I prefer more modern stuff.
    But if I was to build or restore an old style house, I would like to have that worn finish if possible
    (which I know it isn't!). But it doesn't mean there would be anything wrong with enjoying such a
    finish on my windows even if the house wasn't 75 years old.

Same for guitar finishes.
    It's an art to reproduce the work of time on certain materials.

15. valvetoneman

valvetoneman Senior Member

I like mild ageing, all the shine knocked off and a faded burst the proper way so it still leaves the cherry under the pickguard etc

Like others have said it's just a look that some like, Bernie Marsden beast would be a great looking guitar to have

I don't like over the top ageing as most of the real ones I've seen is in good condition and nothing like some of the ageing I've seen

steveb63 likes this.
  16. Alex Dovnar

Next part video at the top, in the first message

Who likes this.
  17. Alex Dovnar

Part 3 and 4 at the top

18. rockgod212

rockgod212 Senior Member

what does the lampblack stuff do for the finish?

19. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Fills all the 'divots' with dark colour as if they'd been exposed for a long time.

20. rockgod212

rockgod212 Senior Member

I found your videos very helpful in spraying my first burst. as I got way to wide of a pattern going for the red burst (rookie burster,) after the burst- i shot 2 wet coats of clear- right now its in the sun for some fading, as I want to see where im at with the color after fading and before wet sanding/ clear coats. looks like I have lots of overspray on the lower bout to where it changed my yellow base, will the red fade out and reveal more of the yellow base? whats the best way to touch up the yellow if its needed?