Les Paul Gem Series

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by square_1, Oct 7, 2010.

1. square_1

square_1 Junior Member

What would you say the going price is on an excellent condition Gem Series les paul? Ruby color. I can't find a whole lot of them listed and am wondering if they are really worth more than a regulard Studio. Do you guys think they will go up in value and so it is worth hanging on to?

2. lilkuku

lilkuku Premium Member

I like the Gem series. I've had the Emerald and the Amethyst (just sold the Amethyst, it's still in my house packed up and ready to ship) to buy the 73' Goldtop Deluxe I'm about to post pictures of. Anyway, I've seen post on here that say the value of the Gem is the same as a studio, but IMO it's worth more. I'm referring to the regular studios. I've not owned the "natural" finished studios, so I can't speak for those (some of those go for under $600), but I've had two regular Wine red w/gold hardware don't remember the years.

Hands down the two Gems I had were great guitars. The P90's were great (except for the 60 cycle hum) and the gold hardware looks great and last. both of the ones I had, didn't show any signs of tarnish.

They only made these from 96-98 which makes them somewhat rare. Some came with gig bags some with cases. Both of mine came with cases and I paid $950 Shipped pp'd for the Emerald over a year ago and $900 for the Amethyst this year. The guy I sold the Emerald to was going to buy the Amethyst too, but someone got to it first. I sold mine for about $50 dollars less than what I paid for it. The Ruby is an awesome one. I would've sold the Amethyst to buy a Ruby one. You see the wood grain through the finish and it's pretty. I love the Amethyst, but you don't get any wood grain.

It really is a studio, but it's also special. You see what the 50's tributes are going for. If it weren't for the body binding they too would "just" be studio's. The Gem series is a great guitar and worth more than a regular studio especially with a case and the quality is great too. I'd love to have a Ruby and to have my Emerald back, but I do have the Deluxe Goldtop!

Hope that helps. If you need more info let me know.

Patrick

geddyleefan likes this.
  3. geddyleefan

geddyleefan Senior Member

A couple years ago I snatched a LP Studio Gem for about 1200, it had a bit of player wear but played very nicely once set up for action. I went a step further and ditched the P-100s for mini-humbuckers cause i was a Thin Lizzy fan. But if you come across one of these (especially in Ruby, Onyx, and Topaz finishes which are probably the best looking) for about 800 - 1200, get em and keep em. Theyre worth it !