Les Paul Future Tribute PCB problem?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by cain61, Apr 3, 2017.

1. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

I have a LPFT less than a year old and it had the PCB inside. This guitar hums terribly ('57 classics) if I'm not touching the strings or the Steinberger tuners. I thought PCB boards were used help eliminate grounding issues? I've used other guitars with the same amp and cord, no issues. I don't see any likely culprits after taking off the control plate. Should I take the PCB out and see if it's something on the underside?
    It's done this since I bought it. It didn't worry my much because I don't take it anywhere, but now I'd like to sell it. I live more than 4 hours from the nearest luthier. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Cain

2. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

Actually, I just narrowed this down to the bridge tone pot. If I turn the tone down, the buzzing disappears. The wires seem to be connected fine. What should I be testing with a multimeter?

3. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

Turning the tone down mean squat. The cavities need to be shielded. Trust me.

4. skydog

skydog Senior Member

It sounds to me like there is no ground.

5. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

Sounds unanimous. Tine to get to work. I've since read that many of these lower cost Les Paul models have had grounding issues. Poor QC, or are the PCBs to blame?

Thanks,

Cain

6. MSB

MSB Senior Member

on one that i had, the little green box with the orange tab that the ground wire goes into, wouldn't actually grasp the ground wire, allowing it to go ungrounded. It wasn't pretty, but I pushed the wire in and put some hot glue on it and never had another issue

7. Sitedrifter

Sitedrifter Senior Member

it's normal for those guitars.