Les Paul Flame Top -- Which to Buy?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by fab10ab, Jul 24, 2007.

1. fab10ab

fab10ab Junior Member

I am in the market for a 1959-style Flame Top. Is it worth shelling out the extra money for a Reissue, or should I simply seek a Standard with the nicest flame top possible? In the end, isn't it the flame pattern that counts the most, from a collector's point of view? My guess is that the guitar with the nicest flame top wins, regardless of whether it's a Standard, Reissue, JPP, or Murphy but I'd be very interested in hearing comments from members of this excellent site.

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

What do you want the guitar for? Playing or hoping that it is going to increase in value?

I happen to have two Reissues, but purely bought them because they were the best for playability and sound, in the shop at the time. They also happen to both be Goldtops.

To be honest, if you are mainly concerned about looks, then buy the one that most appeals to you. Any of the modern stuff is not going to bring riches to you for a long time.

If you intend gigging the guitar, then buy the one that plays and sound best to you.

3. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

Other than the true Killer tops, IMO the flame doesn't necessarily win when it comes to collectability. For collecting, I think rarity wins.

For playing, I think the reissues are worth the extra $, but that's a decision you have to make. It's always best to play as many as you can.