Les Paul Custom 1981 with Faber Parts

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Ramirez1a, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Ramirez1a

Ramirez1a Junior Member

Hi all
    I couldn't resist and equipped my Les Paul Custom Custom 1981 also with Faber parts. It looks very nice in my opinion. A distinct improvement in sound quality is also audible.
    I wish all Les Paul enthusiasts a Happy New Year.

best regards from Switzerland
    Sam

StingyCH, PierM, Who and 4 others like this.
  2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

That looks fantastic, and even better if it improved the tone. Happy New Year right back at you, Sam.

3. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Ausgezeichnet!

4. moreles

moreles Senior Member

OEM Gibson... or Faber. I'll take Faber! Nice upgrade. It's pretty amazing how wonky Gibson parts can be. Americans used to use the "MIJ" or "foreign" label disparagingly, but no one does Gibson better than Germans and Japanese.

5. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Gesundheit!

scozz likes this.
  6. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Sweet looking git, OP! Thank you for the New Years wishes, and the same to you!

From Upstate New York USA! Cheers! :cheers:

7. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Senior Member

What is the sound improvement? Is Faber a reproduction or designed differently? Equipped on 2 guitars?

8. Ramirez1a

Ramirez1a Junior Member

Hi
    The string separation is much better than before, especially noticeable in thirds and fast triplets.
    And as a eye-candy: it looks much better than the original parts in my opinion.
    The difference of the Faber parts is in the material. The original parts are some kind of cast alloy, the Faber parts are very light aluminium. In addition, the string riders are manufactured much more precisely. Basically, the Faber parts are not a new construction.
    And yes, i installed the parts on two guitars. First on my Les Paul Standard 2016, a few weeks later on my Les Paul Custom 1981 because I was so enthusiastic about the improvement.

Regards
    Sam

9. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Well..... that's not correct. Faber bridges are mostly (80%) made of zinc a.k.a. die cast material. So in that respect they're very similar to whatever brand (Ping?) Gibson uses these days.

As far as I can tell the design tolarances are what sets Faber bridges apart. Their locking bridge is really nice. Their iNserts replacement for Nashville bushings are a no-brainer.

10. Ramirez1a

Ramirez1a Junior Member

Yeah, you're right. The bridge is also made of some kind of die-casting. I meant the tailpiece, it's made of aluminum. This will probably make the biggest difference in sound.

11. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Did you get both bridge and tailpiece? If so - in my experience at least - it's the bridge that makes the most difference.

Not saying the TP makes no difference. I tried a Faber alu TP but didn't like how it affected the tone. Back on the guitar the cheap Allparts zinc TP went.

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. Ramirez1a

Ramirez1a Junior Member

Yeah, I swapped both. I don't know which of the parts is more responsible for the sound enhancement. Probably it also depends on which strings you use, which pick (that has a big influence on the sound) and how the amplifier is adjusted.
    For me the main reason why I changed the parts was that I liked the ABR bridge much better than the Nashville bridge.
    I usually call such improvements "optoacoustics" or "psychacoustics" :)
    But as I said before, I found a better sound for both guitars.

1981 LPC likes this.
  13. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

A while I'm on the fence for the iNsert convertors, for one of my Gibson, but the site it's a bit confusing about some aspects.

Is the iNsert compatible with original ABR1 bridges, or you need a Faber one? Asking because they are not really clear on that. I mean, are those threads good for an original vintage spec ABR1? Or you need a Faber ABR1 with metric threads?

Also, in the case of a Faber ABR1, are saddle notches good to go, or they are just starter marks?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. Ramirez1a

Ramirez1a Junior Member

I don't know, because i had no ABR-Bridge. Here you can see wich parts i had to replace

PierM likes this.
  15. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

Ok thanks! So looks like their iNsert it's from Inch to Metric, so you are forced to use their bridges.

Thought they had an option of bushing to original Sae 6-32, this would have been my choice for sure.

Callaham do this, but their prices are ridicolous...

[​IMG]

16. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

A lot of the improvement to my way of thinking is from the added stability that the faber inserts offer. The tolerances of a regular Nashville you could drive a stretch hummer through.
    But certainly the quality of the moving parts is better - no bent intonation screws and the right shape/depth saddles for consistent string radius.

Tonally, well I've had good experiences with Faber on all the guitars they've been on. But every guitar has differences.....and what fits for one might not for another.

17. Shadowfax29

Shadowfax29 Junior Member

I have a 79 Silverburst that I switched to the Faber INsert system, bridge, tailpiece and the tone lock bushings. I also felt there was a noticeable improvement in tone, enough so that I upgraded another LP with Faber parts and another will be after it's done getting finished.

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that a vintage spec ABR1 will not work with the INserts if you're using them on a Nashville setup as Faber states
    • Can be used with original Nashville bridge, Faber® ABRN, or Faber® Tone-Lock™ Bridge
    They also just do starter notches on the bridge. When I brought my Silverburst to have it refretted, my tech took a whole two seconds to tell me the bridge wasn't properly radiused lol.