Les Paul Classic vs Traditional

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by wilsonho94, Nov 26, 2011.

1. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

87 standard, have you helped the op in anyway at all?

2. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

In the same way then a chambered standard is a solid guitar, as according, to your theories they both started as a solid pice of wood? :laugh2:

Latearrival is right. Standards are weight relieved. The wood was getting heavier due to poorer supplies and this was a solution. The chambered are a more modern attempt. I find it 'hilariouse' that all your theories are made on assumptions. Play a 12lb Standard for 4 hours, then a chambered 8lb guitar for same. Then, tell me that it is not significant in any way. Neither late arrival nor I made any reference to tone. Just the physical facts.

3. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

I have been posted this for several times, but it seems like this MLP is too big so hard to find all posts about Classics:
    Les Paul Classic Premium Plus
    Guys, read, learn and remember. And stop inspecting yours (guitars), just play them and love them.

4. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

Yes. Even with 498T/490R combo. It depends of you and your fingers and the amp :cool: Only the time made original 1960s to sound different now than it sounded back then.

5. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Both of my Trads have 57 and 57+ pups, the inlays are pearlish no greenies, the machines are kluson type made by tonepros and have a yellowish tint and are swirled nicely. They have a 50's neck but the two are different in every respect. Also both have gorgeous tops, very nice backs.
    They come with Nashville type bridge, (hate it). I have changed the wiring to 50's new caps to PIO's. Took out that metal plate in the cavity, Just put new pickups Wolftone's and comparing them to the 57's this week on the other Trad. I also aged the pickup covers. I changed the bridge on one of them to a Faber locking ABR type (Awesome). Also changed all wiring to the braided type.

Compared to the classic, I had a 1999. I disliked the 60's neck intensely, the guitar was too "hollow" sounding, the pups were 500T and 498T ceramic and screamed. It was a plain top, rose wood fretboard, greenie inlays and greenie Kluson type tuners. Sold this one in 2007 and got a Fender American Deluxe.

The bridge on the Classic was an ABR type with the retainer spring that drove me batty. and the G string either broke or NEVER stayed in tune. Tried everything short of a new bridge. I sort of wished I had kept it but oh well. The other Trad will get the same treatment in a few months.

6. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

From the way you describe it.... the classic sound so shitty xD but I haven't gotten the chance to try a trad... there isn't any around my area... but from the Standard I tried which is chambered... I'd prefer the Classic... it's loud and raw tone... and I love slim taper neck guitars like Strats IMO... now I'm doubtful on which to get lol

7. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

If you love slim necks, you have your answer.Classic. Those that like thick necks, trad. The very OLD classics had 500t which is great for driving rock, but wouldn't like it for jazz! It's what you like that counts. Pups are not a reason for getting rid of a guitar. As I said in an earlier response, you can change pups, but not neck. Jimmy page seemed to like a slim neck, and he managed to scrape a living out of it :dude:

8. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

No. Similar. The traditional has a thick 50 s neck. The old standards have a middle thickness 59 neck

9. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

so far this is what I got... Classics are similar to the trads... except it has a thinner neck than trad... hotter pups than trad... and it's swiss holes like trad and also it has snot green inlays... and I can only get secondhand for classics? Talking about the old ones not the new chambered maple neck ones...(Yuck! IMO xD )

10. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

11. finnflash

finnflash Senior Member

there is a new classic plus line out now that you can get 50's or 60's neck. and at 1899 new.

12. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

But speaking of classics.... how will these compare with the Studios ? Can we say that both are completely different guitars? And if I'm the type of guy that prefers Classic but budget ain't so high... would the Studio satisfy me?

13. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

1899??? :wow: Where?? I saw on GIbson website it's 2999... and anyways I can change it to Rosewood?

14. finnflash

finnflash Senior Member

15. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

The closest thing out there right now to a Classic is a.......Classic Plus:

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

[​IMG]

Gibson
    Les Paul Classic Plus

Brand: Gibson
    Model: Les Paul Classic Plus
    Finish Color: Vintage Sunburst
    Top Wood: AA Figured Western Maple
    Body Wood: Mahogany (Traditional weight relief)
    Neck Wood: Mahogany
    Neck Shape: 60's Profile
    Fingerboard: Baked Maple
    Fingerboard Radius: 12"
    Inlays: Trapezoid
    Scale Length: 24.75"
    Width at Nut: 1.695"
    Frets: 22
    Pickups: Gibson Ceramic 496R/500T Humbuckers
    Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 3-Way Selector
    Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
    Tailpiece: Stopbar
    Tuners: Vintage
    Knobs: Gold Top Hat
    Case: Hardshell Case

16. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

But I thought all Classic Plus now come with Maple fret? Which I dislike... xD Would love to have Ebony or Rosewood fret if they do... do they ?

17. finnflash

finnflash Senior Member

No rosewood but they sure look like it

18. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

Read the description--it is a baked maple fretboard. It just looks like ebony.

19. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

Nice... But are the new Classic Plus 'swiss cheesed' ? Would the new classics affect the resale value of the previous classics ?

20. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Yes, they are swiss-cheesed, and yes they will affect the resale value of the older ones, but in a good way. The "purests" (like myself) will always be willing to pay that little extra for a tradional RW board. :)

BTW, thanks for the thread plug 6stringer!:dude: