Les Paul Classic vs Traditional

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by wilsonho94, Nov 26, 2011.

1. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

Hey guys would like to know the difference between these two guitars I know the fact that both aren't chambered and I only manage to try a classic cause I can't seem to find a traditional... but from what I heard the classic is much warmer and deeper that Standard BBpro.. but what's it's difference with Traditional ? Cosmetics? Much appreciate the help thanks ^^ :slash:

2. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

Traditionals have classic 57's. Traditional pro has BBpro's and coil tapping. Other than that and the snot wiped off the inlays, the Traditionals are the new classics.

3. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

so technically the same guitar ? but why the bigger price?

4. budg

budg Senior Member

If you are looking at the newer Classics and Clastic Custom, a big part of the price is the fretboard material and maybe slightly better tonewoods.The newer classic has "baked maple" and the traditional has rosewood.

5. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

I'm looking at an older model I guess not the new ones... those with the snot green inlays... Are they chambered?

6. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

2007 is the start of chambered Classics.

7. Bigfoot410

8. 87Standard

87Standard Senior Member

The Traditional is the 'old' Standard. I'm not sure how the Classic differed from the Standards of the time...

9. rideski

rideski Senior Member

The Traditional's are the old 80's era Standard actually. The Trad's have big necks ('50's neck) while the Classic is the slimmer '60's neck. The Classic also come with the hotter pups (ceramic).

10. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

My Trad. Pro has a classic '57 in the neck position, and a BB III at the bridge.

11. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

Any way I can change the snot green inlays?

12. cap217

cap217 Senior Member

Traditionals are solid standards, like the 80s and 90s. They have fat necks, speed knobs, 57 classic and classic +, nashville bridge.

Classics are 60's RI in a cheap way. Ceramic pickups, ABR bridge, greenish inlays, thin 60s neck.

13. Bigfoot410

Yes, somebody just had it done with pics here for $120....can't find the post.

Ok so I have this whole Traditional, classic and standard thing mixed up......so the old standard is the standard and the Traditional is the new old standard which makes it the new standard unless it's chambered, then it's a new standard and not the old which is a classic...not the classic classic but a classic nonetheless......and that leaves the classic classic which is made out of old stratocasters and snot! :headbanger:

YoshiJimbo likes this.
  14. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

15. colchar

colchar Banned

They are not solid, they are weight relieved (but not chambered).

16. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 Senior Member

So technically the Classics are actually the old Traditionals ? And what's the story behind the green snot inlays? Do you guys also agree that the classic has the classic tone of the LP back in the 60's? (I'm talking about the old Classics not those with the maple fret board)

17. Latearrival

Latearrival Senior Member

Correct! They are weight-relieved like the Standards were in the 80's and 90's

18. Leiste

Leiste Senior Member

Personally, I'm not too fond of the pups - they're too dull & lacking character!

Furthermore, the neck is too thin (but some like that. . .). The effort having those inlays changed is too big.

[​IMG]

19. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

The 'old' classics had slim 60's neck. Before 93 they had nice inlays. After 93 they put to my mind awfull green inlays in. This was ? to make them look different to the new reissues they were bringing out? Most older standards /classics were drilled to make them lighter, and weights varied hugely. Gibson still do this(except historics), and ALSO have chambered models. Choose between thick or thin neck, and thats probably your answer. Gibson have 3 common(varying) necks. 50s,thickest, 59 and 60,slimmest. You can always change pups, but try changing a neck....The old standards had a 59 neck, the new traditional has a more 50 neck, so not quite the same as the old standard. 57 pups are warm and articulate. BB pros more modern. 500t in original classics powerfull and harsh.
    The old classics were very good guitars, better to me than the standards of that time, but Only if you like slim necks. If you like a middle neck go for an old standard, but check the weight, some are 12lbs, some are 9lb. This doesn't affect tone as such, two the same weight can sound different, but can be restrictive after a few hours playing.

20. 87Standard

87Standard Senior Member

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about this on the forum.

Just because a guitar has 9 nine small holes drilled in it doesn't mean it's not 'solid', any more than saying it's not 'solid' because it's been routed for PUs and wiring...

The body of a traditional weight-relieved 80's or 90's LP IS a solid piece of mahogany, bringing all the benefits (and drawbacks) of making a guitar from a solid piece of wood.

I find it hilarious that some people see weight-relieving as significant in any way.

For all practical purposes (body mass, sound conduction, feedback resistance, etc.) the Traditional is a solid body electric guitar.

:)

Attached Files: