Les Paul Builders

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Miroku1226, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Miroku1226

Miroku1226 Junior Member

Hello All!
    I've always wanted a '59 reissue, but it always seemed out of my price range. With Gibson raising the prices on their reissues every few years, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one at the rate they are going. I recently came across a builder on YouTube (he goes by Dr. Nitro or 8BombCustom) who works out of Belarus and as far as I can tell he does excellent work. That might be a better option for me, as I would assume even if they are at the same price point with the TH line that I would at least be able to choose the tone woods, finish, relicing and other options.

That said, are there any reputable builders here in the States or Canada that make Les Pauls? Any information would be appreciated, and roughly what I can expect to be paying would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for the info.

2. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

geoffstgermaine likes this.
  3. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

I’ll give another recommend for Freddy. I’ve handled one of his guitars that a friend of mine owns and it’s a fantastic instrument. His videos show everything that go into his builds and it’s top notch.

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There are upsides and downsides to customs. You pay big-time for a quality clone, but have little resale.

If you are in the States/Canada you have a chance to play multiples of Gibson reissues both new and secondhand. This means you can compare tones of guitars that are already complete. You have the opportunity to reject poor examples and pick ones that speak to you.
    A custom guitar - no matter how much the operator says he is able to choose compatible bits of wood - is still an unknown. Not a single soul on the planet can or will ever know the way every unique piece of wood will combine to make a finished piece. And once complete its yours, no return usually (or the typical 50% deposit at minimum is not returned).

I would imagine there are quite a few reissues even on this forum classifieds right now that would be well affordable - especially if the (close to) TH prices you'll pay for a really good clone are in the ballpark.
    And added to that - if you want accuracy buy an older reissue and send it through historic makeovers. You'll get a real Gibson with all the resale of a real one. Plus HM is a known entity with added value for such a move. Some of the best aging I've seen and proper nitro etc are part of the deal.

If you still want a custom guitar then I'd echo the above posts - look at Freddy's video build to see what work he does.

geoffstgermaine and Miroku1226 like this.
  5. Miroku1226

Miroku1226 Junior Member

6. Miroku1226

Miroku1226 Junior Member

Thank you ARandall, quite a few things I didn't even consider.