Les Paul Build 3 & 4

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WezV, Dec 31, 2017.

1. WezV

WezV Senior Member

Time for a couple more. both will be alternative les pauls - not normal gibson spec but they will look like something Gibson might have done

The first will be a 59 inspired, but with P-90 routes ... about as close as i get to proper gibson stuff

maybe like this
    [​IMG]

Number 2 will be more of a challenge - I have done thinlines before, but never with a carved top. I really liked the trapeze on my recent goldtop, so that makes a reappearance here
    [​IMG]

Pickups will be non standard - likely staples, dynasonic coils or gold foils - or some mix of those

the top on the 59 will be a nice bit of lightly flamed sycamore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bodies will both be Khaya. 2 piece is for the custom, 1 piece for the 59

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

Looks like you're off to a great start. Best of luck! Can't wait to see more.

3. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

Sub'd. Lovely pieces of wood - these look to have the promise of some great builds! I watch with anticipation!

4. WezV

WezV Senior Member

I must get back on them soon. My Firebird is nearly done, these are next in line

5. WezV

WezV Senior Member

Just spent the last hour or two prepping wood for these two

all the tops, fretboards and necks are now ready to go, and got a spare top to boot

[​IMG]

The necks and mahogany tops are old stock honduran, a gift from a woodworkers widow. I got loads of big wide planks, some too heavy for bodies and too erratic for necks, but it makes nice tops where the extra weight pushes it a bit towards maple tonally.

I also got some big long square chunks which are perfect neck wood.And i will be going one piece with dual CF rods this time to make the most of this wood, usually I laminate. the rods will not be solid CF bars, but hollow rods as i think this makes the neck controllable and predictable without making it too stiff

here is the neck blank
    [​IMG][​IMG]

roughly cut for 2 long full width tenon les paul necks
    [​IMG]

Indian rosewood and ebony to go with them
    [​IMG]

Here are the tops - ths started as one long plank. I think B is too nice to paint
    [​IMG]

and the sycamore
    [​IMG]

Fez Bear likes this.
  6. Fez Bear

Fez Bear Senior Member

awesome!! looking forward to seeing how this ends up!

7. WezV

WezV Senior Member

had a bit of a moment with these. I marked up the weight relieved burst for chambers, and weight relieved the custom which was going to be chambered

Also,i think my last scale reading was off. because i weighed them again with the same scale today and got the same reading off both bodies again, even after weight relieving one of them. I tried a new set of scales and working backwards i think it was the 2-piece that was 6.4lbs. The one piece closer to 6lb

The one piece is now 5.7lb, 2 piece is 5.3lb after weight relief, although there is still a bit to do
    [​IMG]

I have changed my mind again on going chambered thinline for the custom, i think they will both be weight relieved instead

Frack and Pesh like this.
  8. WezV

WezV Senior Member

i got the one piece for the burst weight relieved. took a lot of holes but its bang on 5lb now so should give 8.5-9lb when finished. you can ignore the pen line, this one was never going to be chambered.

The sycamore top is also cut and drilled with some template holes to help alignment

[​IMG]

quite a bit of colour variation, some small knots at the waist, and a fairly inconsistent flame - but i like this kinda top
    [​IMG]

LP Traditional likes this.