Legato Exercise - Intermediate Guitar Lesson - 4 exercises (with tabs)

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Yofresh, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Yofresh

Yofresh Junior Member

Here's another technique lesson for ya! Hope you enjoy :)

Dave J, bungle, Charlize and 4 others like this.
  2. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

How do you get such volume from such a light touch? I feel I have to hammer/pull-off pretty hard, which eliminates any chance for such smooth speed.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:59 AM
    Yofresh and I Break Things like this.
  3. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Same here, though I play hard anyways. Fast playing eludes me.

Yofresh likes this.
  4. Yofresh

Yofresh Junior Member

Hey Who!
    thnx for your message. Actually I'm hammering on pretty hard especially with my pink. Naturally the pink travels a bigger distance to the fretboard and back up "in the air". You can use this motion to really enhance your hammer-on energy. But! More importantly is that you also give the string a sort of "push" when your pulling off. Maybe this sounds a bit weird, but when you pull off not just away from the fretboard, but rather towards another string, you can give some energy to that pull-off, or a lot.
    Another thing to keep in mind is muting as much other strings (the strings you're not playing).
    I hope this helps, please respond if it does! Maybe I can explain better, just let me know. Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 12:18 AM
    I Break Things and Charlize like this.
  5. Yofresh

Yofresh Junior Member

Hey, please read my reply to "Who" :)
    hope it helps! Cheers

I Break Things likes this.
  6. Yofresh

Yofresh Junior Member

also practicing hammer-ons and pull-offs on the acoustic guitar is both confrontating and useful!

I Break Things and Charlize like this.
  7. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I read through it, and it makes sense. I've always tried to do it that way, but I have trouble using my pinky like that. I have tremors and my pinky is especially fussy. I avoid using my pinky for most lead stuff, though I still practice with it. When I'm actually playing though, I stick to 3 fingers most of the time. Disproportionally short and twitchy pinkies aren't that great for lead. :laugh2:

8. Yofresh

Yofresh Junior Member

yeah I get that... that's tough. Keep practicing with pink included!! Sometimes when I'm driven like a maniac to practice hard I will do this strength focussed exercise where I just play frets 1 2 3 and 4 on any string with just hammering on and pulling off. Also, doing a warm-up whenever you're about to play heavy lead stuff can help with flexibility and prevents injuries! (I should do that more, *note to self ^^ ) Ok, if you excuse me I'm going to stand while I pee now xD