Led Zeppelin vs. Rolling Stone Magazine

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Bluesyzep, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

I was on another forum reading up about the early days of Zeppelin and Rolling Stones take on them. This reignited my longstanding annoyance with Rolling Stone. I was wondering about anyone elses thoughts on this. I know Jimmy definitely took it personal and am not sure if he ever gave them the time of day again. Does anyone know Rolling Stones take on Zeppelin today? Are they considered one of the greatest bands today or do they still get the back door treatment? Personally, I feel they owe the whole band an apology for their short sightedness.:rolleyes:

For those not in the know I'm referring to Rolling Stones generally poor reviews of Led Zeppelin back in the day.

2. craigh

craigh Senior Member

If it's in Rolling Stone, it has to be true - Frank Zappa

Craig

Benjammin likes this.
  3. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

+1 for the stones

4. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Rolling Stone today tends to treat Led Zeppelin with retrospective respect. I still have the issue from 2006 on which Zeppelin was the cover story and the story was a well-written analysis of their career---the good, the bad, and the ugly alike. (It was the same issue, by the way, in which RS published a kind of eulogy [bulleted on the lower right of the front cover] to Pink Floyd founder Syd Barrett, who had just died . . .)

The cover headline for Mikal Gilmore's article read: Led Zeppelin: The Heaviest Band of All Time---Metal, Black Magic, and Sex. The article itself was headlined: The Long Shadow of Led Zeppelin and sub-headed thus:

And, this was the opening paragraph:

I'm not entirely sure that would qualify as evidence of ongoing institutional hatred or ambivalence about a band. But since few if any Rolling Stone staffers today were staffers on the magazine at the time Led Zeppelin took flight, I'm not convinced the magazine owes them any kind of apology. Critics have their views; buyers have their views. And God knows how many buyers have made popular music that was (is?) positively abhorrent, for who knows what reasons. (I mean, could anyone explain the mass popularity back in the year of, say, Grand Funk Railroad, who probably had only one genuinely good album's worth of material over ten studio albums by the original band? That's just one example.)

I do remember one factor that might have turned the Rolling Stone of 1969 against Led Zeppelin---when manager Peter Grant pried a $200,000 advance out of Atlantic Records for their U.S. albums in late 1968, a record advance at the time for a new act, and also obtained complete artistic control for the band, he had been heavy-handed enough about it that it created an image problem for the band before they'd even gotten their first album into the stores. It wasn't exactly a clever idea to call their publishing company Superhype Music---it might have been a bid to laugh at the accusations that Led Zeppelin was a hype, but it backfired on them to a certain extent. I'm also convinced that Grant's heavy-handed tactics in managing the band through its earliest tours---not to mention his employment of a debaucher named Richard Cole to handle the band themselves in the States---worked against them as well. Sometimes your managers can be and often are your own worst enemies.

I myself thought Led Zeppelin inconsistent---when they were good, they were in their own league, individually and as a band; when they weren't (especially in concert, where they could be breathtaking one night and resemble something worse than a lot of bar bands covering their stuff on another night, though in absolute fairness Jimmy Page's dub-happiness and guitarchestra obsessions probably worked most against the band in concert, since it was probably well-nigh impossible for them to recreate a lot of their repertoire onstage with any kind of consistent depth), they weren't.

5. River

River Senior Member

It wasn't just them.

[​IMG]

6. River

River Senior Member

Huh?

7. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Senior Member

+1 for Huh?

geochem1st likes this.
  8. kingedb

kingedb Senior Member

"John Bonham, surely the clumsiest and most simpleminded percussionist in any major rock group," - Larry Rohter

Mr Rohter, you are an oak. :slap:

Falcon148, guitarbob123 and River like this.
  9. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

I'm aware of their live inconsistencies but the comment about John Bohnam stood out to me. WTF:shock:....Googling Larry Rohter. Lets see what his claim to fame is.:rolleyes: If I'd seen a more direct attack against JPJ I would have had to give a double WTF! Never heard one bad comment about him any capacity.

Currently a writer at the N.Y. Times. I started to send him and e-mail but decided against it. Would probably freak the guy out. LOL.

10. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

This pretty much answered my question. Good to see that they came to grips with issue.:cool:

11. River

River Senior Member

Did you read that review I posted? I attended that show. No, it wasn't as good as the shows I saw in '72 and '75, but it was good. Led Zeppelin good.

"...stolid and unimaginative rhythm section..."

That's your man Bonham and my man Jones. It's laughable.

12. Sweeper5

Sweeper5 Senior Member

I sooooo agree with this. Jimmy Page was a pioneer and one of the first true "rock guitar composers", but because he was the only guitarist in the band, he had to multi-track and overdub all of the guitar parts in the studio. Genius work and a real joy to me every time I listen to those old Zep tracks. But you are so right when you say that their live playing suffered when compared to their studio work. I also agree that there were huge inconsistencies of the live performance vids I've seen, and heard. A world of difference between the musical performance quality between these two clips (especially the vocals, but everything really):

I find this one damn f*&^king good, and it captures the raw power and excitement that was Led Zeppelin.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3bcAKErY1U]Led Zeppelin - Rock'n'Roll (1972) - YouTube[/ame]

And this only one yr. later at Madison Sq Garden...to me it is disappointing. Don't get me wrong guys, Led Zeppelin is my all time favorite band and always will be...but I remember watching this performance for the first time (in The Song Remains The Same movie), and I remember how disheartened and let down I felt. Robert's soaring vocals were cheated down to the point that the melody of the songs were altered (they didn't even sound like the same songs). Some of you guys may disagree with me, and that's cool. But for my money, these two performances are not in the same league.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfgjJhh3U3A]Led Zeppelin - Rock n' Roll (Live at MSG, 1973) HD - YouTube[/ame]

I'm interested to hear what some of you guys think after comparing these two performances.

kingedb likes this.
  13. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

I think the 73' version sounds pretty good until compared to the 72' version. I'd describe it as being much tighter.:band:

andjar likes this.
  14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

RS has this annoying habit of hating bands, and then when history shows them wrong, they pretend to have liked them all along.

Emmitt Fitzhume likes this.
  15. River

River Senior Member

Led Zeppelin live does not do well when autopsied. I won't argue that with anyone, "there" or not.

It was what it was, and it was awesome. I'll decline to attend the post-mortem.

geochem1st likes this.
  16. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

When I read this I can't help but think, holy crap, $19.99 for pantsuits that normally cost $30? That is a great deal.

northernguitarguy and River like this.
  17. River

River Senior Member

Guess how much the concert tickets were, '72 and '77. NOT adjusted for inflation. :slash:

18. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Lets not forget that Zep rarely did anything the same twice in a row and who knows, maybe Plant was having some issue with his voice or possibly there is a difference because of the difference in recording equip. Who knows. I know that RS didn't like Houses or Graffiti.

19. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

I have a pretty good idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No. 44, geochem1st and River like this.
  20. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

He should have said "drum soloist." A Bonzo drum solo, sorry to say, was a perfect excuse for a dinner break during one of their shows. (Even for Plant, Page, and Jones, whom I heard sometimes left the venue entirely when Bonzo was hunting Moby Dick . . . ;) ) He was a great drummer but as a soloist he was a snooze . . .

craigh likes this.