Learning how to bend strings..

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jeff_farkas, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

I'm staring to learn/teach myself how to bend strings. What I would love to get is some basic advice on how to start and what I should be doing to do the right.

I've found stuff on the Internet and that's nice but I just would love to get some input from the group as well.

One question,. do you folks have or know of any backing tracks that I can use to practice with and then record over? I think this might help me know if I'm doing it right or not.

TIA..
    Jeff

2. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

To be honest, I learned everything I know regarding bending and vibrato by listening to and playing along with AC/DC when I was younger.

It just so happens the backing track of the month is of that particular persuasion...

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/nov-btotm.400456/

jeff_farkas likes this.
  3. jeff_farkas

My teacher said something similar. He just figured it out as he went along. I got that backing track already and it's good to know I can use it for that purpose.

Thanks so much for the replay
    Off to work on this
    Jeff

4. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

One thing I would recommend is using a tuner. Pick a string and a note. Then, pick an interval to bend to. Half-step up, whole step, minor third, whatever. Then, slowly bend up to that interval while watching the tuner. Do this up and down every string. It'll give you you a good starting point because you can hear the original note being brought up to a specific pitch. Plus, you'll get used to the feel of bending in different places.

JonR, Filipem and jeff_farkas like this.
  5. jeff_farkas

Thanks. I thought I heard that before or somewhere else but I will keep this in mind

6. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

It can be very helpful. It sped up the process tremendously for me. Now I can just bend and get the note by ear. If you learn how bending to the proper pitch sounds to begin, it saves a lot of trouble. Plus, then you can get creative and do micro bends to just barely pull notes out of tune in interesting ways.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  7. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

8. jeff_farkas

9. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I would have never thought of that- am also a trombone player.

To the OP- what are your goals? Bending is easy enough. Big bends with vibrato- not so easy. Whatever you do, start easy.

10. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

@jeff_farkas

A great way to get your feet wet would be to practice the main riff from Wonderful Tonight. As an added bonus, you can say you play just like Eric Clapton when you get it down :h5:

Stoli, jeff_farkas and Duane_the_tub like this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I started with unison bends, to calibrate my ear, then moved onto oblique bends, then double-stop bends.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  12. jeff_farkas

Thanks.. that's going to be fun.

Jeff

13. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

I always felt like this was just one of those things you learn by doing. Like learning to walk. I suppose there might be some specifically tricky thing some guitar god uses in a specific solo, but otherwise, just start playing and bending. Your ear will tell you what sounds good or not.

String bending like vibrato is one of those things that is part of your sound. Nothing wrong with learning to mimic someone else. But in the end, you'll do it your way.

As for backing tracks, youtube is loaded with them. But, there is a lot of variation in type and quality. For practicing something like blues, especially if you are just starting, you want a track that really defines the chord progression. That way you can concentrate on the soloing and fitting in to the groove more then defining it.

I've really liked these tracks. They strike a good balance between being extremely repetitive, yet not so open ended you can't tell what's going on.

http://cvls.com/product-category/guitar/jam-tracks/

They are about $10 a set of about 16 songs. They give you a PDF with the chord progression and key and some suggestions on scales to use. Well worth the cost.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  14. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Just starting out bending strings,, I'd have ta say get in the habit of using all your fingers to push them strings.
    cool little practice thing to try.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    jeff_farkas likes this.
  15. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Learn to play While My Guitar Gently Weeps, it has all kinds of bends you can think of. You’ll be bending like a pro by the time you master it. Oh it hurts so much when I first learnt it! But once you built the strength in your fingers it’s with you forever.

Here’s me playing said song:

jeff_farkas likes this.