Leading up to the Queensryche break-up

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Spot, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Spot

Spot Senior Member

I was talking this morning with Eddie Jackson’s sister after she made a comment on Facebook about how angry she was about this Geoff Tate / Queensryche mess. She sent me a link to a website that got hold of one of the documents Michael Wilton filed to block an injunction Tate is filing against the three remaining members of Queensryche to not use the name. Here’s the juicy piece -

"On the day of our show in Brazil, Geoff Tate demanded a meeting before the show. We agreed to meet before sound check. We all decided it was best to record the meeting. He asked why we fired Susan Tate and what it was that we wanted. We stated that we were no longer interested in Susan Tate as management and that we wanted different representation. He asked if we had anyone in mind and we told him we were in talks with AGPS (this is the management team that I proposed we talk to in 2010) but that nothing was agreed to. He then asked about our thoughts regarding him selling the rights away to 'Operation: Mindcrime'. He said, 'You have frozen my money.' We stated we felt it was done behind our backs and as we were part of the creation of 'Operation: Mindcrime', we felt it was an intellectual property issue and needed to be reviewed by an attorney. Geoff Tate stated that he had nothing more to say, got up and walked towards the door, and then said, 'Have a nice show.' The meeting was brief. I didn't see Geoff Tate again until we were in the elevator back at the hotel (where he said nothing to me and I said nothing to him), and when we were in the lobby to meet our van to take us to the show. Geoff Tate decided to stay in the bar instead of going with the band and arrived later. The next time I saw him was as we were walked onto the stage by our tour manager.

"Geoff Tate was setting up his station and the three of us walked around his area to our stations. I walked over to the area where my equipment was. I had just put on my guitar in preparation for the show when I heard a loud bang and then an 'uh oh' by our singer, Geoff Tate. I looked over to see that he (Geoff Tate) had knocked over the whole drum kit and was now spitting at our drummer, Scott Rockenfield, and yelling obscenities at him. At this point, I went over behind the drums to help assist pushing the drums back up on the stage when I heard our singer say, 'Hey, Mike, have a nice show,' and then when I looked at him, he spit right in my face and called me a 'motherf**ker.' As I was wiping my face, feeling violated, Geoff Tate came back at me yelling obscenities, 'F**ker,' 'F**k you, you mother f**ker.' I gave him a look from my towel, he approached me and when I was not looking, he punched me on the side of my face. The punch also hit my right eye which had a contact lens in it. My contact jostled and I was trying to get it back in place so I could see. I told him to get away from me, but he kept pushing his chest into me calling me 'Pussy, f**king pussy! What, are you going to cry?' My eye was watering from my contact, I couldn't see clearly, and I pushed him away. Then Scott Rockenfield (our drummer) came down and told him to get away from me. Geoff Tate then threw another punch at me, but I ducked and it hit Scott Rockenfield right in the face (his mouth area). Scott Rockenfield told him to back off and then Geoff Tate punched Scott Rockenfield again in the face. At this point our tour manager, Fozzy O'Hare, pulled Geoff Tate away and one of our guitar technicians, Kenny Bender, helped me by getting a cold water bottle on my face to stop any swelling or redness. Geoff Tate came back over and called me a 'pussy' and a 'crybaby' again. I told everyone I needed a minute until I was able to get my vision back and I was moved to the other side of the stage until the crew felt they could get the situation under control. I then told my guitar technician, Gino Bishop, to get a towel to wipe off all the spit on my guitar that kept coming from Geoff Tate. From this side of the stage, I could see confusion between the security and our crew. Everyone was shocked and completely caught off guard with Geoff Tate's irrational and violent behavior. Geoff Tate was continuing to move about the stage, trying to get around the security and crew who were trying to block him from any further attacks and trying to get him under control. He continued to rant back and forth, spitting at the band members and their equipment. Fozzy O'Hare was finally able to pull Geoff Tate off stage and took him to where his station is during the performance. At this point, we were not sure if we were going to continue the show or if we would have to cancel due to Geoff Tate's antics and violence. There was communication between Gino Bishop and Fozzy O'Hare as to what to do. Fozzy O'Hare then indicated that Geoff Tate had calmed down and he was ready to do the show. Gino Bishop had a security guard stationed right behind Geoff Tate and one right behind Scott Rockenfield just in case Geoff Tate tried to attack the band members and their equipment again.

"Geoff Tate delayed the show by about 20+ minutes and tried to provide a situation for show cancellation. The rest of the band remained professional and committed to the show, even as Geoff Tate spit on Scott Rockenfield throughout the show and threw water at my equipment between songs and tried to mess with not only our equipment but also tried to compromise our performance”

2. GuitarToneFreak

GuitarToneFreak Senior Member

What? I had no idea they got rid of Tate! Damn!

Oh well, at least I got to see them live a couple of times, great shows both of them. This sucks, though. :(

3. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

sounds like the singer is a prima donna a**hole.

The drummer should've kicked his arse.

7 people like this.
  4. Laaz

Laaz Banned

5. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

The band was never the same once Chris DeGarmo left. Mike Stone was a good replacement live, but didn't have the same song-writing chemistry with Michael Wilton that DeGarmo had. Those two guys were peanut butter and jelly.

Not surprising that GT has come down with prima-donna front guy syndrome. Sounds like he needed to pursue a solo career to prove to himself what his actions have explained about his views. I doubt they will be confirmed and his solo time will be lackluster at best.

Saw them live MANY times over the years, going back to the first EP in '82 or so, and was NEVER disappointed in their live show... other than some of the political yapping by Tate which was never necessary or appreciated.

6 people like this.
  6. Laaz

Laaz Banned

7. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Thanks for the info, Spot and Laaz.

This is the first I've heard of this too. What a messed up situation. I know personalities can conflict, but I've never understood why bands let legal matters get in between them. The odds of making it big in the music business are astronomical so why mess up a good thing based on money? Sure, we all want a fair share and what's right is right, but why blow up the entire thing and end up with nothing in the end?

5 people like this.
  8. Scooter2112

He's in total denial. Read between the lines in that article.

Lots of red flags there. One of the greatest voices in the rock world with an amazing theatrical presence, yet 4 other guys who haven't voiced any disagreements with either the material, tour schedule, or creative direction of the band suddenly don't want him as their front man? :hmm:

Time to shit-can the conceit and come to terms with yourself.

4 people like this.
  9. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

Sounds like another Axl. This is really disapointing. I'm not the biggest Queensryche fan, but Geoff is an amazing singer, and this really ruins it.

Thanks for the post, Spot!

10. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Senior Member

Two sides to every story but I have a hard time understanding how of two people that were punched in the face by Geoff Tate did nothing about it. Seriously, if I get punched in the face it's on and its not going to be pretty. I'm not into violence to settle disputes but once it becomes violent its going to be ugly.

If Geoff Tate is calling you a pussy, he's a big pussy himself you must REALLY be a pussy ;) I'm not buying this story nor am I buying Geoff's side of either...

2 people like this.
  11. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

Complete Jagoff!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88du2GnAus]Queensryche Live Rocklahoma 2012 "You guys suck" - YouTube[/ame]

6 people like this.
  12. Laaz

Laaz Banned

As they fade into the dark.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pxMrlzslHA]Queensrÿche - I Will Remember (Live '92) - YouTube[/ame]

3 people like this.
  13. Malikon

I have never found this band as fascinating as I do at this moment.

*popcorn*

13 people like this.
  14. Rankelson

Rankelson Senior Member

3 people like this.
  15. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

This is the most I've ever cared about Queensryche.

7 people like this.
  16. MineGoesTo11

MineGoesTo11 Senior Member

I didn't even know they were still around!

2 people like this.
  17. Spot

Spot Senior Member

18. Spot

Spot Senior Member

Found the whole article. It’s a long read but it’s a first-hand account of the band’s deterioration. Lesson #1, do not let the singer bring his wife in to be the band manager.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - QUEENSR

3 people like this.
  19. Scooter2112

Based on nothing more than appearances, Tate wouldn't have gotten away with decking Mike Stone. :slash:

20. Malikon

How Spinal Tap.

2 people like this.