Late 60's Special

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by ycats, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ycats

ycats Junior Member

I just picked up this husk from a pawn shop for $250. I'm really stoked about it. The serial # has me confused. From what I can read, the first four digits are 9084. It's hard to tell because of the refin. This would date it as a '70. From the cutaways, neck joint, no volute, I'm thinking closer to '68. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  2. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Its seems it still has one piece neck and no volute, so i would say 68 - mid 69.

3. jaik

jaik Senior Member

huge score ! congrats, that's a great deal, as long as the neck is straight and the frets workable.

4. six pack

six pack Senior Member

looks like it needs a refret but nice score

5. Wraptail

Wraptail Senior Member

Cool git! Are you going to do P90s or Humbuckers?

6. ycats

ycats Junior Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. The frets are a tad low, but I won't really know how bad they are until I string it up. I'm going back with P90's. The parts search begins.

1 person likes this.
  7. ycats

ycats Junior Member

Here is the mock-up version of the guitar. I wanted to get it playable asap, so I used what I had on hand. I had all the parts in my stash, except for the 3-way, which cost $15. The white pickguard is hideous, but at least it was free. The pickups are DD's from a Squier tele and are a little sterile, but don't sound too bad. I'm not sure where the brass nut came from, but the string spacing was close as was the height, so I stuck it on there. I've got a bunch of nylon blanks and I'll use one of those when I get time to fit it. The tuners and pots came from a '62 Truetone Speed Demon that had a trashed body. I've had those parts, and the Wilky wraparound, for close to twenty years! I used Home Depot Rust-oleum black and clear lacquer, which is amazingly good. I had almost no orange peel, buffed it out with a 10 year old turtle wax by hand. I'm not entirely happy with the plugs for the bridge holes. They came from a piece of Honduran that I've had since 2002, and it's really dark stuff.

I'm not sure if I will pursue getting "better" parts, as I'm trying to adjust to the narrow neck width. The neck is almost dead straight and no buzzing frets, so I got lucky there.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. jaik

jaik Senior Member

If I were you I'd get some nicer pickups, it won't cost much and it will make a huge difference. I've got an SG Jr from the same era, and the neck is too small for me too, the pickup was gone & the one in it was so thin and plain, I replaced it with an old gibson pickup and the guitar came alive. It almost makes up for the small neck, enough so that I started gigging the thing sometimes.

I will agree with you that the white pick guard is hideous.:hippie: