Ladies and Gentleman... Here it is, the all new Richlite Fretboard!!!

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Lipinhu, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Lipinhu

Lipinhu Senior Member

I can´t believe it... Recycled bits.
    Gibson Midtown Custom

Am I reading Right?

2. River side

River side Senior Member

Well, if you listen to the "manager" at my local GC, it's ebony.

He knows.

3. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

4. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

Don't want!!

Richlite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richlite is a dense material made from partially recycled paper and phenolic resin. Phenolic resin is made of formeldahyde and phenol. Individually, these are potent chemicals, but create a harmless, inert substance when combined. The paper is soaked in phenolic resin, then molded and baked into net shape in a heated form or press.

The paper used by Richlite is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), a global non-profit organization devoted to encouraging and monitoring responsible management of the world's forests. This adds to the sustainability of Richlite, as it comes from readily renewable wood resources, managed in a way that allows for growth to exceed harvest by 47% in North America.

Richlite is also certified for indoor use in residential, school and institutional environments by GREENGUARD Environmental Institute and under NSF Standard 51.

Originally distributed as a commercial kitchen surface in the 1950s, it has recently been adapted for use in skateboard parks (e.g., "Skatelite"), as well as various other applications, such as residential counters, fiberglass cores and limited architectural applications. Richlite is an alternative to Corian and granite counter tops.

5. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

The only thing that bothers me about it is that they don't charge any less for the guitars that they use it on.

6. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

Gibson must be in trouble. How many more "out of the ordinary" materials will will see on it's guitars?

[​IMG]

I like the idea of recycling but we pay a lot of money for our Gibsons and want the best they can offer. This goes a little to far I think. Just MHO.

M.C.J., Chilli, redwinepaul and 2 others like this.
  7. Lipinhu

Lipinhu Senior Member

They do. This is more than half the price of any Gibson Custom es-335. The new Classic Custom with baked maple are cheaper than the traditional, and full of blink blink (LP custom face).

8. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

"Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...plastic"

9. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

Does sound resonate through garbage??

10. proudamerican

proudamerican Senior Member

ugly plus i want a les paul and simi hollow is not les paul

11. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

I'll take it ! Fine by me ! There's plastic in EVERything now anyway! In the food , the water , the trees! ThERE ARE PLASTIC BAGS IN THE TREES MAN .

Baked maple , richilite , obeche I DUN CARE . Maybe these will be like the NORLINS and flop! And Then I can get them real cheap.

Rock n Roll Gents !

JeffBlue, flah, Stuart_tate41 and 5 others like this.
  12. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Baked maple, fine. This? I really don't know.

espdeangibson and SteveGangi like this.
  13. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Yea ya know, this bothers me. I want guitars made from wood. I don't care if Gibson chainsaws thru a baby polar bear to cut down rosewood.

14. stratlt

stratlt Senior Member

That's why I'm happy that I decided to buy a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top with the old good rosewood fingerboard few weeks ago. It was not easy decision. First of all I'm a Fender guy and sell Fender guitars in my country.. Second - I'm big fan of japanese made guitars. I like my Tokai LS160VF. But that Traditional Gold Top sounds so good..... Way better than some more expensive ....

15. River

River Senior Member

jenton70, JeffBlue, kingedb and 9 others like this.
  16. HarleyJohansson

HarleyJohansson Senior Member

I don't know what all the fuss is about... Although I don't know much about this richlite material, it definitely doesn't seem anything like plastic to me.

I'd be very upset if this was the material they decided to use on their historic guitars, but any new model... I LOVE IT!

Baked maple, richlite, whatever... bring it on!!

(the change of wood for historic guitars is very sad, however)

JeffBlue, flah, FFXIhealer and 4 others like this.
  17. River side

River side Senior Member

What part of "phenolic resin" doesn't sound like plastic to you?

It's used to make Bakelite, pools balls, and circuit boards, among other things...

18. budg

budg Senior Member

But you fail to mention the over 200 layers of PAPER which last I checked came from wood.If it were just resin , yes plastic ,but plastic is made from petroleum , not wood.

19. River side

River side Senior Member

Whatever. If you like paper soaked in resin, I guess it's OK

Might cost $5 or $6 bucks (at most) less than an ebony fretboard - but expect huge differences in price when you go looking for a new guitar.

SteveGangi likes this.
  20. budg

budg Senior Member

Yep,Expect to pay thru the nose for Ebony in the future.Frankly I dont care what the fretboard is made of as long as it plays good.Dont like it?Dont buy it.