kustom defender 5h many pics

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by TWANG, Jun 29, 2010.

1. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

Crank it? Don't crank it?

If I interpret this correct, this guys says to not play it loud or what?

I mean, that's the magic of small tube amps

----
    No lie. If they don't play nice cranked.. ha! you did it wrong.

2. OwlOfBlues

OwlOfBlues Junior Member

well what the Kustom enigneer actually tried to say: a 5W Amp will still need a speaker with good heap more watts than the amp if you want to crank it.
    a 10W speaker and a cranked 5W amp, gonna blow the speaker faster than you play a powerchord! and he suggests a 30W speaker will do just fine.
    but remember, if you always play it cranked, every speaker will die sooner or later

3. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Yeah. That part I already knew.

But getting an almost square wave is very hard to do.

Tubes don't clip that hard, that's more a transistor character, like just clipping the signal completely.

I run my defender with a hayden cab, 4 Ohm max 240W RMS, so yeah I'll be safe.

But I mean, the way he writes it is funny. He's trying to cover every base of safety.

Speaker need to be pushed to sound good.
    Some of that really fancy distortion is also in the speakers. :naughty:

VOX AC30 + AlNiCo Blue = Magic

4. OwlOfBlues

OwlOfBlues Junior Member

yeah right, diode clipping is rather going to ruin a speaker than tube distortion...

i still haven't managed to get my hands on a pot and do the master volume mod :D i am so lazy...

btw i am thinking of buying my very first les paul! :)
    right now i guess i will go with the custom shop 57 goldtop vos, SUCH a lovely beast =)

5. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

LOL

I'm talking about clipping characteristics instead of what the power source is.

Standing square wave instead of slight over the top sinusoidal curve.

YEAH RIGHT indeed.

What that guy means is speaker lock up.

6. OwlOfBlues

OwlOfBlues Junior Member

hold it :shock: how could anyone ever play a squarewave synth ?? they are able to produce a perfect squarewave, so exactly what that guy said is the worst case for a speaker :hmm:

7. OwlOfBlues

OwlOfBlues Junior Member

push :D

anything new? any new mods we dont know?

btw i'm still inclined to do a MV, BUT i have no clue how to... i dont really get it, which resistor must be replaced with a potentiometer and HOW does it work?

the first advice was to replace some resistor before the power amp tube which is connected to ground, but i dont really see how it works! does it mean we are getting more signal as we increase the value of the resistor and no signal at all if we set it to zero, which basically means we are shorting it? and is shorting the right option?
    please help me understand the amp! i wont mess with anything i dont understand so... the standby was logical and easy but this is tricky to me

8. douglasj53

douglasj53 Junior Member

Hey Twang. I want to add a single pot tone control to my Kustom Defender 5H. Can you tell me the best way to do this with the configuration and values of components. Thanks so much!

9. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

you can use the 15W classic tone OT from www. triodeelectronics.com
    w. 4,8 and 16 ohm taps.. very good tone! and not over spendy either.

on ebay the mpsot20se is also worth a look..!

they both fit, too!

10. NilracBor

NilracBor Junior Member

Howdy. Just wanted to drop in and say a big thanks to all who put in the 'how to' on this thread - particularly Twang, whose schematic and pictures I copied to add a vol/bass/mid/treble & standby to my defender 5w head and kustom 30w 1x12 cab. I am not an electronics expert, and for reasons I do partly comprehend, the controls work backwards, but hey, I kind of like it like that :lol:

To my ears, the amp had way too much ice-pick treble going on, and was way too loud for what I play - blues/jazz stuff with a strat/tele - and for what I wanted it for - sitting in my front room for practice and doodles, and perhaps running in stereo with my Fender 75. I am not much of a vol/tone knob user - I tend to leave them full on the guitar and dial the tone I want with my amp (clean channel) and use OD/FX for lead sounds when needed. I have had my 75 from new in '82 and that fender clean has always been my base sound...but I bought the defender for a change, etc.

First I changed the tubes out from stock to some Groove Tube 12AX7 and EL84. That just seemed to make it louder, not much clean headroom, and shriller. Then I put in a TAD EL84-STR & a JJ/TESLA 12AT7 This really calmed it down, gave me more headroom, but it was still quite shrill, and way too loud when cranked, and the break up just wasn't pleasing to my ears :shock:.

After I put the tonestack in, the difference was huge. No more ice-pick and the sound just seemed to have so much more depth and sounds fuller. My strat sounds glassy and my jazz guitar sounds jazzy! The trade off is that it does not seem to be anywhere near as 'loud' but seems to fill the room more. I could actually run it full tilt...and this was great in combination with an OD pedal and a dash of verb. So then I put a TAD 12AX7/ECC83 in, and now it breaks up with a heavy pick attack, and I seem to have the best of both worlds. I suspect it will record really well at a reasonable volume.

All up the pots/caps/resistors $10 (el cheapo stuff from Jaycar) and the tubes $35 to my door in Oz

There is still a hint of flab (sometimes - depends on attack/note), but this could be the stock speaker, which I haven't even broken in yet, but it's more musical, as opposed to what it was before. I can see there is another switch (in addition to the standby) that Twang has added, so perhaps I'll work out what that is and give it a go as well.

So anyway, hope this is of use to someone, and thanks again Twang :dude:

3 people like this.
  11. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Beefing up the Tranny could also help with the mushy tones or flabbing. Why? Beacuse the amp exhibits this even when hooked to my bigger cabs.
    E.g. a Eminence RC Governer 240W RMS loaded 4x12

TWANG is keen on a certain brand. Look back a few pages. Also, a Hammond 125SE could work too.

The bad thing about swapping trannies is that they cost so much cash.

So I try to not think of it as a bad thing in this amp, but I rather see it as a character trait. :naughty:
    Champs are really popular too and they present a flabby bass when pushed hard as well.

12. NilracBor

NilracBor Junior Member

Thanks to you as well Syrus. Yep, I guess the ClassicTone OT may be next on the list, and $30 doesn't seem too bad considering the cost of gear in general, but the $50 shipping kills me. And yep, like you said, it's just a bit of character, so I can live with it until something maybe turns up :)

13. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Yeah, hammond is more widely available.

Cheap upgrades are fine and all with me.

But I'm not paying 80$ for parts for a 99$ amp lol

Why not leave as is and perhaps wire a Champ kit together?
    Easy build.

14. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

C5.... 100uF 35V.. up to 1KuF.. tightens the lows.
    C6..I think.. the first filter cap to 100uF 450V
    or the first two filter caps to 47uF 450V
    filters more and could help with that flab.

are the coupling caps to 1uF 50V?
    (35V ok,too no higher than 100V there though)

15. Achilles' Heel

Achilles' Heel Junior Member

Just stopped by to thank Twang and everyone else for all the helpful modding tips and schematics for the Kustom Defender 5h! :thumb:

I picked one up last week but unfortunately I can't use it for a couple more weeks because I am still saving for a decent 1x12 cab to use it with (home use only.)

I can read a schematic pretty well but I am a little rusty on some things. I have downloaded and examined the schematics posted here and have a few questions for NilracBor and anybody else who might be able to answer them related to adding the bass, mid, treble, and master volume tone stack to this amp.

1) Do you have pictures of the completed tone stack installed in the amp (pots, caps, resistors, etc. ?)

2) Where does the tone stack connect to the factory board? Looking at the P1 tone stack and master volume mod schematic image it looks like wire A connects to the Kustom 5h factory board on the postive side of C3 and R9 and wire B connects to the Kustom 5h factory board on the negative side of R4. Is this correct?

3) Did you use the same pot, cap, and resistor values on the tone stack schematic or did you make some changes for a different sound?

4) Are there any other related component changes that should be made on the factory board when using the bass, mid, treble, and master volume tone stack mod?

The tonestack schematic I am working from is attached to this post.

Thanks for all the help! :D

Attached Files:

16. NilracBor

NilracBor Junior Member

Achilles Heel: Twang has already put pictures and notes up...look at the schematic and the pictures and you should be able to work it out...
    schematic and pictures The stack is everything between A & B and replaces C2. The brown wire you see in the photo goes off to an earth on the corner pcb mounting screw (at least that's where mine is)

I un-ashamedly copied the whole lot, no changes :lol: except that I used sealed alpha mini pots meant for pcb all around, and el cheapo caps/res parts/wire.

Thanks again Twang...when I get my head around what you've suggested I will give it a shot and post some pics of the guts.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. stonebird

stonebird Junior Member

Twang, thanks for the inspiration for some modding. I'll be having a go next week & I'll be looking at modding my EVJ too. Did you ever repaint your 5h head at the start of this thread?

18. tinman402

tinman402 Senior Member

Mine has been going strong for the last 1 1/2 to 2 years without issue.. I did have one trace peel (foil pealed off) during one mod but I was able to jumper it without issue.. as far as I am concerned this is one of the best 100 dollar range tube amps you will find. It rivals some in the 200-300 range IMO.. I have a black heart little giant (unmodded as of now) and I switch between the 2.. They have different characteristics and give me different sounds.. The Kustom does need a good driver to sound best.. I like my Luck Lady with mine.. And JJ power and EH preamp tubes..

Twang is the man when it comes to amp Frankenstein.. Hope you are doing better BRO..

19. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

my last post was VJ stuff.. I musta thought someone started talking about them.

never did repaint, sold 'em too soon.

traces are funky.. too much heat and they come right up sometimes!

20. Lime

Lime Junior Member

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and I have spent a fair bit of time reading through this topic.

I have a few questions as I am new to repair and modification of amps (I have a doctor of physics as a neighbour who can help me out!) Anyway, I use my KD5H into a Traynor 100 SS amp I changed into a speaker cab, been using it for 4 months, running through a tube cube attenuator to act as an impedance match aswell as to be able to plug in when my toddler's in bed! All good for 4 months.

The other night I turned it up, cranked my big muff and rocked! Kick ass, :dude: then, a puff of smoke and an acrid stench! Amp dead. I changed tubes (I thought it was odd when the tubes looked absolutely fine!) and the 250v fuse, amp fires up just fine. Turn up about halfway, R12 fizzes and catches fire, tubes and on/off switch lit, no sound. OT failure, yeah?! And R12 obviously! Lol Would you guys think I need to look out for any other problems once I have got the two parts? I want it to work again first then I'm going to mod away with some of the cool hints and tricks I've read here and in Torres' book!