Korean Made Epiphone Verification

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by rjwilson37, Feb 2, 2016.

1. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a chance to purchase a Korean made Epiphone for $325 in excellent condition. Here is the serial number and I want to check and make sure it's what I think it is. A 2004 Les Paul Classic with Slim Taper Neck.

Serial I04040754

Let me know if you think this is a good deal.

Thanks,

2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Nobody other than Gibson/Epi Customer-Service can 'verify' any Epi just by the serial#.....

without pics this is even more.......(you know what I mean:naughty: )

3. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I just want to know if that serial # states it was made in Korea and not China. Since the verification shows Korea/China. I just want to know that a 2004 was made in Korea. That plant was suppose to put out some excellent Epiphone guitars and I just am verifying that the serial number is indeed the Korean plant and if $325 is a fair price for one in excellent condition.

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the
    Saein Plant, Korea/China
    April 2004
    Production Number: 0754

Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd
    The Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. is located in the Namdong Industrial Complex in Incheon, Korea. Saein was established in July 1st 1991 and has a monthly capacity of 4,500pcs. In Oct 1st 1992, Saien Began manufacturing guitars for Epiphone, who they now consider to be their main business. They also started producing their own line of guitars called Shine in 1997. In February, 2001, a new factory was opened in Gaomi City, China. This factory boasts a monthly capacity of 10,000pcs. Saein was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999.

Serial Number Breakdown
    I 04 04 0754
    Factory Identifier
    Year
    Month
    Production Number

4. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Oh... It is Vintage Sunburst, so that means it's a Les Paul Classic Plus and the slim taper neck which was the 2003-2005 for a Les Paul Classic. I think I have that right, but please let me know since a lot of you are more expert on Epiphones than I am. And is the $325 for a Les Paul Classic Plus in excellent condition a good deal?

5. paruwi

the serial# clearly tells it is MiK and not MiC

6. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

$325 seems fair, but there are so many other factors more important than country of origin. Any cracks around the nut or at the neck joint? And mods to the wiring? Are the frets level and action set properly? Does it come with a case?

2 people like this.
  7. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I am paying $475 for the complete package from this guy. He is a bass player and the guitar has been hardly used, still in excellent condition. It comes with a Gibson (USA) case that he purchased for it, because he liked the case a lot better. Both Case and Guitar are in excellent shape. I don't see anything that would show it as otherwise than in excellent condition. I came up with the $325 price, because the case is probably worth $150 used, which would put the guitar price at $325. I can use the case for my new Gibson 2016 Les Paul 60's Tribute T since it came with a gig bag and use the gig back for my Epiphone or purchase an Epiphone case. I am going to use the Epiphone to teach a friend of mine to play and he is going to use the guitar for a bit, but I'm going to keep the guitar in the end and wanted a nice used Epiphone guitar of high quality.

8. Mariocbp

Mariocbp Junior Member

Hello to you all. I understand this might be an old topic but I was wondering if you all can tell help how can I identify a serial # from a korean factory than one from a chinesse factory.

I am looking to buy my first Les Paul and I am not sure where is from. I believe it was build Sept 92, production number 249, but I dont have any idea of what the S at the beginning of the serial # means.
    Thanks, Mario

Attached Files:

9. paruwi

Mariocbp likes this.
  10. Mariocbp

Mariocbp Junior Member

paruwi likes this.
  11. paruwi

and

Welcome here @ MyLesPaul forum