Know anything about the Gibson ES-347?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by zplapplap, Jan 3, 2010.

1. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

There is a 1989 Gibson ES-347 available locally. It was the first time I had seen one and I'd love to hear from anyone who owns one, owned one in the past, played one, or simply has an opinion on this model.

This is not the actual guitar, but this is version of the model I saw and played.

[​IMG]

2. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

I don't know, I've heard good things about them - maybe someone who knows will chime in. :acoustic:

3. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I hope so.

This is the first one I had ever seen one in person. I guess there aren't many of these out there even if they were made for more than a decade.

4. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I'm considering a purchase. I know "Pickguard: On or Off", "Chambered Les Pauls Suck", and "My Epi Slays Your Gibson" threads are more fun for many :laugh2:, but any opinions on this model would be greatly appreciated.

Chase743 and jimbob137 like this.
  5. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

The ES 347 was introduced by Gibson when the ES 345 was phased out. It is essentially either a souped up 335 (block inlays, multiple binding and I believe ebony fretboard) or a stripped own 355 (less Vibrola and stereo/Varitone circuitry) - depending on which way you prefer to look at it. Great guitars. If the price is right and you like it - go ahead and grab it!

6. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

The guitar is near mint condition and they're asking $2,199.00 USD. I'm going to play it again. Depending on how that goes, I might offer 2K and see if they take it.

It has an ebony board. Thanks, Sliding Tom. It's good to see you back here. :)

7. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

Thanks! :) Keep us posted!

8. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

Actually the 1st ones in '78 had single binding on the headstock, the rest after that had triple, that's where the tone went to hell right there.:laugh2:

What I've heard:

1. - George McCorkle from MTB said it's the best guitar he ever played. I can believe that he said that but is still a very subjective topic.

2. - It and all thinline electrics are copys of the Framus 1953 Billy Lorento model. If this is true it's ironic that Bill Lawrence designed the pups in the 347. The 1st Gibby thinline seems to be the ES 225 in 1956.

3. - Nothing can drive an EL34 like a 347. Possibly, IDK.

4. - It go from gospel to metal in a blink. Yes and without pedals.

5. - Can be more Stratty than Gilmore and dial in a good burst sound. Hard to buy that one but the single coil mode can sound very Fender.

6. - It sounds good no matter what amp used. So far I agree and also think it would sound good with ANY pups.

7. - It's a Sheraton on 'roids. See #2.

8. - The blond models sound better than the rest. LMAO well maybe it's true blonds have more fun.

9. - The 347 is for the acquired taste. Bull, it's for those that like it.

I've read that the Series 7 pups were replaced in '84 but am finding conflicting reports on that.

If you like it and can afford it, get it. It's the last ES hotrod available and it's days are numbered. It's almost impossible to find a good 340 - 357 - 369 in good shape these days.

Also found this:
    Framus Vintage

[​IMG]

Matt_21 likes this.
  9. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

Thanks for the post. This guitar might be gone before I know it. I'll see if I can put this together.

10. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Let's put it this way - I'd buy it for that sort of price unless it played like a dog.

11. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

The price is right, for sure. I played it through a Deluxe Reverb RI and probably should have played it through the twin. Either way, I can't turn it up in the shop. The single coil tones were nice. Better than I expected. The full humbucker tones were full and rich. While good, I wasn't blown away, but some of that might have been the lifeless amp I was playing through. I have no idea what the overdriven tones sound like. Tuning at the bridge was strange, but it was stable. I liked the ebony board and the neck felt great. It was more 60's style. The gold hardware looke great against the guitar's natural finish.

I'm going to need some more time on it before I can decide. This would be a big purchase for me right now. I'm curious to see if it will last.

12. tnvol

tnvol Senior Member

I played one about 16 years ago and it was sweet. I was in the army and went home for Christmas with a bud of mine and we went over to his brothers place to drink and hang out. It was in the corner and had been collecting dust for years. I was a really sweet axe. Really loud and resonant. Even with old nasty strings I could tell it was a cannon. I tried to buy it on the spot but he wouldn't sell it because it was a gift from his father who had passed away recently. Nice freaking guitar. At the time I thought it was a 335 but his brother said it wasn't.

13. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

14. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I'm not trusting enough to take free stuff from strangers. :laugh2:

Scam. It should be removed, though I'm not sure on what basis.

15. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I understand sentimental value, guitar neglect is another story. Seriously and joking aside, it sounds like a good one...a near miss for you.

At first, I though I was looking at a 335 with a replacement bridge. The fancy headstock binding, block inlays and ebony board didn't tip me off as to the model. I thought I was looking at a Norlin, and that those were just the cosmetics and construction of the era. Despite it being an '89, it has a Norlin era vibe. The coil tap switch is small and placed right next to the pickup switch. It's easy to miss unless it's in your hands.

16. Flogger59

Flogger59 Senior Member

It's a Norlin design, maple neck, ebony board, and one of their better efforts. Any 347 I've played I really liked.

17. PlayLesPaul

PlayLesPaul Junior Member

So zplapplap,
    Did you buy the Gibson ES 347? If so what do you think?

18. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I didn't buy it.

At the time, I would have to have sold some gear to get the cash together and I didn't have anything that I was willing to part with. It might be a while before I see another one. I did some serious shopping for a while and played it several times. There wasn't anything that I didn't like about it, but I can't review with the familiarity of someone who owns one.

19. Flogger59

Flogger59 Senior Member

347s are Norlin's best effort aside from the original Dot Neck reissues.I'd like one. Any I've played have been killer.

20. Dashface

Dashface Junior Member

That looks excellent.