Kit clinic-all brands- routine & fixes

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Ole'Lefty, Oct 23, 2010.

1. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

How quickly do you need it? I can ask George to have some shipped, but as I said, it will probably take a while (I'm guessing at least a month).

2. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

I was hoping to have my kit close to be done before my wife and I have our second bady in December.

3. ievans

ievans Senior Member

Just because your first one was bad doesn't mean this one will be.

8^)

4. pinefd

:lol::lol::lol:

5. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Hey guys, I'll try to get some measurements asap, but during the week, I work 10 hr days, on 3rd shift.

So, just hang in there. My bridge and tailpiece, are from allparts. I'll type in the model number later after I wake up.

Sonny.

6. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

lol. can't believe I didn't catch that type-o :laugh2:

7. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

has anyone built one of the GM kits yet?? We were kicking out the Bulldog kits weekly last year. I feared those kits were way over sold, I figured at best they'd be on par with the Bulldog, hell it wouldn't surprise me if they were made from the same factory. The maple and mahogany looks exactly like the Bulldog wood. I seriously doubt it's western big leaf maple, more likely it's the same stuff Bulldog uses. Nothing wrong with it, seems like decent maple and nice figure and flame on most, just an observation...

Sounds like the QC isn't as good as Bulldog, granted, Bulldog had some crappy necks, most problems were warped necks or odd back bow that seemed more often than not down between the 7th fret and the nut.

So, I'll ask again, has anyone completed the new kits or at least assembled one?
    How about weight? Can anyone predict the finished weight of their kits? Just curious, my finished Bulldog is right at 8lbs flat.

8. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Still waiting to get the correct kit but when I do I will be using the pics I saved from your Bulldog build to get the color right. I love your finish.

Someone weighed theirs. I think the raw wood only was at 6 lbs.

9. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Tex--I consider your Bulldog to be a premier example of a great kit outcome. I appreciate you looking in here. I had your thread subscribed, but, like some other members, my subscriptions got mysteriously emptied. I do hope you might add a link to your thread here and please continue to look in on this thread for the benefit of all of us.

10. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

Sorry to hear you got the wrong kit, man what a let down. I feel your pain, hang in there. Hopefully you'll get the correct kit and build a hell of a guitar and all this crap will water under the bridge. Thanks for the kind words on my Bulldog, I'm still loving it. She sounds sooooo good, I've got Will Boggs *** PAFs in her with CTS pots, Vitamin Q caps and all braided wiring, she's a tone beast man, I'm not jokin'. To be honest, at home, when I actually have time to jam, I grab my Brockdog or my 59 Jr. My 58 Custom Shop doesn't get near the loving as the kit i built.

I'm nearing completion of my first scratch build. She's a very special, Special Double Cut of sorts. I call it my Custom Special. She's almost done and she's nearly as light as my vintage 59 Junior. I've already played her acoustically and the damn guitar vibrates so strong while playing, it's quite resonant clear and load considering what it is and I can't wait to get the electronics installed when I get back to Dallas. I'm in Chicago this week, DC last week, Michigan next week..? man I need to marry rich or hit the frikkin lotto so I can devote some serious time to the luthier craft I seem to be addicted to.:naughty:

Thanks so much for your kind words Mike, I have to admit I was a little nervous spraying a burst like that with rattle cans. However sometimes it's worth the effort to try new things and learn from the good and the bad you experience along the way.

I have that link bookmarked in my browser of my Brockburst Bulldog build, here it is: Solid Flame Top Bulldog Brockburst Build

BTW_ My condolences to you and your family, on your recent loss. I've been there and it's hell. Take it a day at a time, life gets better but it doesn't happen overnight, hopefully the loss has brought your surviving family closer.

For content purposes I'm reposting a few of the better pics I've taken of the Bulldog LP. Enjoy!

Here's what the top looked like when it arrived from Bulldog:
    [​IMG]

Here's the back, it's two piece back but it is virtually invisible and is dead centered as is the top book matched maple.
    [​IMG]

A shot of the neck and body, this is all you get with the kit:
    http://www.helidriver.com/guitars/NewBulldogFlametopKit/BulldogSolidNeck.jpg

Starting to look like a guitar:
    [​IMG]

Amber tinted lacquer over the whole top, I shot the amber ten minutes prior to taking this picture:
    [​IMG]

The first published photo of the Brockdog Burst, at this time no clear coats, just the color coats:
    [​IMG]

What does your finished kit weigh?
    [​IMG]

My 59 Les Paul Junior on the same weigh scale.
    [​IMG]

Howz this for a top carve?
    [​IMG]

Clear coated and ready for action:
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite shots, I really dig the dark flames when viewed at this angle, looks a bit like a few BOTB guitars.
    [​IMG]

A few more pics on my trademark blanket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was my first Les Paul kit, before it was finished I knew I'd have to build something from scratch. Here's a sneak peak of my Custom Special.
    [​IMG]

It started out as a replica of my vintage DC 59 LP Jr. I ended up finding some cool burl veneer for the top, I had to shorten the top cutaway horn, the burl veneer was a wee bit short to cover the longer upper horn so I reshaped it similarly to the lower horn. I routed the binding channel and opted for white binding. Loaded with twin P90s and a Ghost Acoustic Piezo ResoMax bridge it should sound great and have a larger tone range if one combines saddles.

11. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Frank P.'s Neck Install

12. pinefd

Ha! Thanks for posting that ^^^ Mike! I was just thinking that I should do that myself, but you beat me to it!

...and Raymond, thanks for posting all those pics of your gorgeous Bulldog build! It will surely be an inspiration to many current and future kit builders!

Frank

13. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Wanted to post this here as well.

14. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

I had popped off the crosspiece from the bottom of my fretboard, in my case the more white color. Acetone is dissolving it. That tells us that we can patch with any binding material that shares that common solvent.

By making matching "putty," thin spots can be built up and blended level and if longer strips of binding need to be grafted in, the putty can make seams invisible as it is being used to "self-glue" the grafts.

Frankly, I have not yet taken a sample off my body-I am not convinced I will do the harp tailpiece or Bigsby. We may have to wait on George's pieces coming over. Sorry.

15. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

Hey Frank! Regarding the pic above that shows the straight edge is against the nut and bridge saddles. Is the waist binding really narrow there or is that just an optical delusion??? Did you buy a few Junior kits too? I recall you a good bit of GAS for a junior with some smokin' P90s on her. I love my DC Jr Custom Special I'm building. She's very light and feels so good when playing her and I've not yet finished shaping my neck nor have I installed the electronics. I just got back from Chicago this afternoon and I think I finally have a game plan for the electronics and have all my parts so I think it's time to get out the soldering iron so I can play it through my Marshall for the P90s and my Fender for the acoustic signal.

Hey Mike,

Have you decided on the finish for your kit yet?

16. pinefd

Raymond, someone actually asked the same question on the other thread. Here was my response:

Good memory! Yes, I've really wanted a DC Jr., so I placed an order for two of GM's kits. But in the meantime, I also just bought a vintage '59 DC fixer-upper that I should have some fun "fixer-uppering"! I haven't received it yet, but I'm sure I'll do a thread on it at some point.

Frank

17. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

Quick one, drilling for the toggle:

1.) Lay the body onto a level/even surface
    2.) drill press with 1/2" bit into the top

Is there supposed to be an angle in the way I drill or is it just straight downwards? I'm asking because due to the top carve, the switch will probably be a bit tilted.

18. pinefd

Straight up and down. There should be enough free play in the hole to allow you to tilt and mount the toggle at a slight angle to follow the curvature of the body.

19. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

Great, thank you.

20. swoodrum

swoodrum Senior Member

Any suggestions on reshaping the headstock? ( I want it to look like a "M" because I like McRibbs..LOL) and maybe an overlay? I have some power tools but no Bandsaw.