Kit clinic-all brands- routine & fixes

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Ole'Lefty, Oct 23, 2010.

1. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

That's a shame, maybe you can get phone num from address somehow?

I wouldnt let someone off the hook easily, even if it means extra money and time.

2. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Not sure what angle I have really.

3. Dirk$Diggler

Dirk$Diggler Senior Member

Sorry man!

4. jordans0nly

Alright guys. Does anyone have the Paypal address on file that we sent our money to GM? I tried to use his "George Master" name to locate the transaction, but it didn't work.

I'm trying to locate it so I can find the transaction of how much I sent to him. I'm going to put together a "Non-Payment" dispute with Paypal and see if I can get my kit back, or $500. With the amount I paid for the kit, sending it to Bill (BFGC) in NY to do some work and the MOP inlay from Tulsa comes to about that much.

Someone told me I should send him an invoice of that much and see what happens. Worst is, nothing.

5. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

I paid him in May 2010. Yours might be earlier. Use Paypal search by date period you should find it quite easily.

May 11, 2010 Payment To George Gorodnitski Completed ... -$385.00 USD

Sent to:
    George Gorodnitski (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
    Email: jstudio0107@yahoo.com

Amount sent:
    -$385.00 USD

Date:
    May 11, 2010
    Time:
    11:07:45 PDT
    Completed

Subject:
    59 LP kit
    Note:
    LP-2 Kit with solid flame maple top, with humbucker/rosewood.
    Funding Source:
    $385.00 USD - Visa Card XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
    This transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *JSTUDIO0107".

6. jordans0nly

Thanks man. I think mine was a month earlier. Found it.

7. Hazboticus

Hazboticus Senior Member

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone had any advise on a particular issue I am having with a kit? if this is not the place let me know - I just didn't feel the need to start a new thread.

I have a kit where the neck is sitting at the correct angle but is loose and can rock horizontally. Would the best fix for this to be a shim to align the neck correctly prior to glueing?

8. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Check out anything by Precision Guitar Kits - their chosen name is 100% correct!

1 person likes this.
  9. alcxam

alcxam Senior Member

I'd glue a piece of veneer on the tenon and sand it back so it all fits snugly... (Very much like a shim, in fact!)

10. martin H

martin H Senior Member

Unathadox as it may sound, for gap filling, I always used super glue. It doesn't shrink, always bonds, and doesn't react wiith anything when it's dry.

If it's a larger gap. I start off with a thicker glue, then use a thinner one for the last application. Mask each side of the gap to stop glue getting on the surface wood.

When it's filled, tape the edge of the razor blade with masking tape, leaving only an exposed section in the center that's about the same width as the gap This will allow you to scrape any glue that's above the surface down to about 2-3 thou proud. Then you can just sand it.

11. Riche

Riche Member

Hi,
    Ive been thinking about my GM les paul, I don't play it at all but I really miss playing a les paul, The thing is the GM doesnt play well , I hate the nibs, the fretboard sux and the neck wood was a little suspect.

Now I ve purchased new frets and some basic tools to hopefully sort out the fret board but what can I do about the neck wood .. It was a little soft if I remember right. You could stick you finger nail into it. I dont really fancy digging out the old neck and gluing in a bulldog neck or simular so I was thinking maybe I coat the back of the neck in some sort of epoxy or super glue?

Other suggestions are welcome :) .

anyway what do you think?

12. Sicky101

Sicky101 Senior Member

Don't do that.

13. Riche

Riche Member

Yeah I didn't do that. But what I did do was pull out the old frets, levelled the fretboard installed new frets. Now it plays like a charm ..
    What a difference, no horrid crappy nibs etc worth doing if your not happy with your GM fretboard..

If your thinking about doing the same thing heres tip.
    I bought a 90gram fret hammer for hammering in the new frets .. this was way too light for the job. In the end I bought a 300gram hammer which did the job just fine.

Rich

14. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

Quick question. Did everyone eventually get their GM kits? I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread after returning to this forum after a few years away. I never received any kit. Guessing that's $330 I'll never see again, seeing as how all this happened back in 2009...