Kit clinic-all brands- routine & fixes

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Ole'Lefty, Oct 23, 2010.

1. RubberDucky

RubberDucky Junior Member

Is it common to have a bent neck? Why is that?

2. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

Not common, but it happened to some guys. Jay will replace anything broken, though, as I said.

3. bradland

bradland Senior Member

Ok guys here's the latest in the ongoing saga of my George M kit...

A quick summary-
    Removed the FB because the kit neck was crap, bought a very nice neck from BFCG:dude:, ordered new binding (for the neck) from ALLPARTS, punched dot markers out of Fender tortoise picks, and before gluing the new binding I started looking very closely at fret spacing. Realized several things are not right...

This is where I am currently-
    First I noticed the 1st fret is too far from the nut, based on Bartletts vintage fret spacing chart, the exact amount is irrelevant please continue reading. I decided if the 1st fret is far off how can I even measure all the rest? So I decided to use the same chart to make my own fret spacing ruler, which realized two things...

1. The fretboard has 3/32" too much material at the nut.

2. Frets 1,2,3, and 4 are all off various amounts (approx half the width of the fret) too close to the nut. Number 2 is the worst at a little over half the width of the fret itself.

So the 3/32 at the end of the FB is a simple fix. This pulls the other 18 frets right where they should be. But what about frets 1 through 4? I really don't think I'm over analyzing this, am I? I guess this is why this project is taking so long, I'm too meticulous, patient, and BUSY!

Thanks in advance for any help!

4. ievans

ievans Senior Member

Before you do anything, make sure you're not dealing with the issue of there being no standard 24.75 Gibson scale. Gibson's scale hasn't been exactly the same over time. It could be 24.625 using the rule of 12, or it could be 24.75 using the rule of 18.

David Collins has a good post laying out the problems in this thread here:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/131930-fret-slotting-templates.html#post2518089

The point being that your fretboard could be fine, but it isn't using the same calculation as the Bartlett plans.

5. bradland

bradland Senior Member

It's very cool you took the time to create that template. I'm sure it's an invaluable tool for the avid builder. I DL'd it and I'll have it printed full scale on Monday. Thanks again!

If I remember correctly I think George was shooting for '59 spec so I have a feeling I may end up looking for a new FB...

6. bradland

bradland Senior Member

Yes sir you are correct! I finally had the file printed full scale and the FB is based on the Martin Short Scale 24.84".

So I guess I'm OK, I think...:fingersx:

ievans likes this.
  7. ievans

ievans Senior Member

So I guess the next question is, how's the bridge location? In other words, is the 12th fret 12.44" from the nut and bridge?

8. bradland

bradland Senior Member

Have not drilled for the bridge yet. I wanted to resolve this before going further. glad I waited!

You are obviously very knowledgeable in the many different scales and methods by which they are calculated. What can you tell me about the Martin Short 24.84"? Should I be concerned at all or is this a non issue for a LP kit?

9. bradland

bradland Senior Member

Also wouldn't it be 12.42" ?

10. ievans

ievans Senior Member

Right, sorry. 12.42.

I'm hardly an expert on the different scale lengths, really. I just collected the info for that template.

With that said, my take is that having an LP with a 12.84" scale is not an issue. It's so close to a "normal" LP 12.75/12.625 scale length that you won't notice it, and I doubt anyone else would unless you told them.

So set your bridge location based on your particular fretboard and continue on. :thumb:

11. Juan7fernandez

Juan7fernandez Senior Member

Pictures didn't work.

12. Dirk$Diggler

Dirk$Diggler Senior Member

13. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Thanks Dirk for doing this. I have a question. everyone was talking about the neck angle. Is this because of A the body angle. B) the tenon angle or is it the mortice on the body angle. The reason I ask is I could with my limited room and very limited neck skills do the tenon sand and the body angle however the mortise is where I would have an issue.

14. armann

armann Senior Member

I have a problem with my Les Paul.
    When I turn any knob the guitar looses sound and then it comes back in.
    It's like one wire isn't connected really well.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

15. Daniel

Daniel Banned

16. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

17. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

18. jordans0nly

Have no idea what to do man, really. At a loss for words. Over two years, money spent on tools, paints, other things. Gone. Also about to get laid off...

19. Dirk$Diggler

Dirk$Diggler Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the kit. On the bright side I think you might have saved some serious money in the long run. The GM kits were a B***h to complete and a money vampire as for all the modifications that had to be done. You might be better off getting a kit that actually is possible to complete. :)

I had a GM kit made and also ordered a JR kit. The LP I'm very happy with but the guy who put it together swore never to touch one again. As for the JR kit...well George Gorodnitski (George M) never shipped it. I sent him lots and lots of reminders and asked for a refund but I suppose he is happy with all the cash he managed to get before he got banned from the forum.

The moral of this story being that these kits bring bad luck! Good riddence to bar rubbush! :(:(

20. jordans0nly

But parts I bought were with that guitar too. Especially the Tulsa MOP inlay. Makes me sick to my stomach.