Kit clinic-all brands- routine & fixes

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Ole'Lefty, Oct 23, 2010.

1. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

I believe current historics are dyed black. The advantage is that you don't have to use knife to scrap the logo since the logo does not take in the dye.

2. Dirk$Diggler

Dirk$Diggler Senior Member

I would'nt recomend dye at all. I tried dying the headstock veneer with Fiebings Oil dye from Stew Mac. The dye darkened the MOP logo and the only way to get it off was by sanding the logo, messing up the veneer at the same time.

After retrying a few times with the same result even when dying the details with a thin brush I gave up. I shot the headstock with black nitro and then scraped the logo with a razor blade which was surprisingly easy. The nitro did'nt stick that hard to the MOP and came off with real straight edges around the logo. The only disadvantage was that the clear nitro dissolved the black messing up the edges a bit. Rescraping and then shooting several very, very thin coats of clear took care of that problem fine. Good luck! :)

3. emoney

emoney Senior Member

I have a "faux" mop inlay, and I thought about taping it before I shot the black.
    Any thougts on this? Is that 'not' the way to go?

Swoodrum, I took a 3 sided file, marked the center of the headstock, and just sliced a
    line down the middle. Then I took my dremel, with a small drum sander attachment, and
    shaped the rest by sanding it down. Mine's not perfect, but it'll do for me.

swoodrum likes this.
  4. w666

w666 Senior Member

I have had very good luck with coating the inlay with Vaseline before I spray. Use a very tiny bush, and be very careful not go out side the inlay area (Ah, now I know why my kindergarten teacher gave me so much grief for coloring outside the lines!). Then just shoot black right over it, and let it cure for a day or two. Now the fun part.....use a piece of masking tape that's big enough to cover the entire area, and rub it lightly to ensure good adhesion. Then, pull the tape off "smartly", and your inlay will be exposed. You may still have a tiny bit of scraping to do.

Clean up the mess with Naptha very well (and several times) before you put clear on top.

5. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Thank you sir. Always helpful...as usual!

6. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Here's a mock-up pic of mine in it's current stage. I'm searching for how to
    measure to drill for the bridge/stoptail...
    [​IMG]
    Almost ready for clear
    [​IMG]

7. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

8. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Do you mean for location or hole size?

9. swoodrum

swoodrum Senior Member

Thanks, I used a dremel sander, but a big one...it's not perfect, but I'm not building a Gibson Les Paul...I'm building a copy....as long as the guitar plays great thats all that matters to me.

10. Riche

Riche Member

Hi, does anyone know what glue to use when trying to attach binding to wood and then binding to binding? any tips would be very welcome. Ive tried super glue but all I end up with is my finger glued to to the headstock .. It driving me insane..

Rich

11. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

I melted down some binding in acetone to make a glue. works really well.

12. emoney

emoney Senior Member

It was location, but I found the Stewmac instructions and they made a lot
    of sense when I read them. As a matter of fact, it was kind of a "duh moment"
    when you think about the thing being a 24.75" scale guitar. But hey, I'm new
    at this whole 'building/assembling' thing.:laugh2:

13. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Another suggestion;

Both Lowe's and Home Depot sell a Minwax Ebony Stain that works great for the headstock.
    At least it did with my holly veneer. It takes a few coats, but now I now why the factory
    ends up with that little black line on the sides of the headstock. It comes from the stain
    soaking into the wood. Almost made me look like I knew what I was doing, lol.

This is a crappy cell phone pic, but you can see the progess;

[​IMG]

14. Juan7fernandez

Juan7fernandez Senior Member

If any one wants to sale their LP-4 (custom) Kit please let me know. I'm interested in getting one.

15. rebel yell

rebel yell Junior Member

does anyone have a picture documentary of drilling the tailpiece and bridge holes? im kinda nervous about this area..still learning the basics please forgive my stupidity..

16. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

17. rebel yell

rebel yell Junior Member

that was alot of help bossman302 thanks. is there a handy link around here for setting the bridge with proper intonation? im learning more everyday thanks guys.. imassuming that the treble side post hole should be 24 3/4 and bass side 1/8 longer?

18. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Don't assume 1/8". The Stewmac side says "Between 1/16th - 1/8th". I think
    you're supposed to set the treble side, and then try and intonate by moving
    the bass side away. Also, this tool helps with setting both bridge and stoptail
    if you don't have a drill press;
    [​IMG]
    Your regular drill, be it electric or cordless fits in and this allows you to drill an
    exact hole, eliminating the concern for it not being 90degrees in.
    [​IMG]
    I have a drill press, but it's too short to drill the stop tail piece so I picked this
    up at Harbor Freight for $17.94 (plus tax, of course:shock:). I was worried
    about this step too, but this tool helped a lot and once I did it, realized I had
    been overly cautious. Good luck and don't forget to post pics.

19. swoodrum

swoodrum Senior Member

20. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Consensus is that anything between 4 - 5 should work. Congrats, the hard part's over.