Kirk Hammet Greeny?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by joebonsai, Jul 14, 2014.

1. dubster82

dubster82 Senior Member

:facepalm:

2. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker Senior Member

What's the story? What happened between him and Gibson?

3. dubster82

dubster82 Senior Member

Hetfield a few years ago started playing a bunch of Les Paul Customs, one in particular was his favourite, a 1973 Gibson Les Paul he reliced, adorned with gold racing stripes, a custom 'iron cross' and dubbed "Uncle Milty"

Contact was made between Hetfield and Gibson to make a signature model. Hetfield was apparently unimpressed at the pace things happened and the general interaction with Gibson. A non relic'd prototype was made, but the project stumbled and Hetfield pulled out incredibly frustrated. Used to ESP's 'yes' attitude to his requests they made a version for him basically based on his previous JH3 and truckster models.

I believe a big stumbling block in the project was the source of the cross. He wanted to throw his buddy a bone and have him supply the crosses, Gibson said no.

Gibson then tried to get to Metallica through Kirk and recreated his black Flying V from the early days of the band, something which Hetfield has joked about.

4. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

All of this but also I heard that James wanted Nash guitars to do the aging (Which they did on the ESP version and his Aged LP Standard with the Bigsby) and Gibson wanted to do it all in house. IMO Gibson dropped the ball and Hetfield has played his Gibsons a LOT less since then. Back then he had like 5 or 6 different Les Pauls in his touring lineup in addition to a few explorers and Vs, now he only occasionally pulls out his Flying Vs. Strange thing is the Gibson Iron Cross was one of his main guitars from 2003 through 2009 and yet the ESP Version has seen very little play time after the first year he had it, he basically uses it as his warm up guitar.

5. dubster82

dubster82 Senior Member

I'm not sure I buy the Nash thing. The original to me doesn't necessarily look aged by Nash, but the Esp certainly doesn't look like the Gibson either. I wouldn't be surprised if Nash did the prototype for esp to copy, but the esp version wear looked typical for an esp.

6. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

This is just something I read somewhere, certainly could be false. I know Hetfield is a fan of their work (as is Trujillo) so it is certainly plausible. I also know that Gibson does a better job at aging guitars if you want it to look natural IMO which is one of the things I didn't like about the ESP version.

7. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Stumbled across this today. Kirk playing Greeny a lot in this vid up close.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Et2po6DU8[/ame]

8. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

amazing how he gets greeny to sound NOT like greeny!

This shot says it all...

[​IMG]

that's probably only his ones he currently uses.... :D

9. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Haha, no kidding!!!
    I like KH, mostly due to me watching "Some kind of monster", as a player he "transcends" conventional standards for metal players in a way that I can talk about him but not listen to him. He's the right guy for Metallica but he's not the right guy to coax tones out of Greeny. Just put the damn thing in a display case and be done with it.

10. hoss

hoss Senior Member

So by forum rules the owner of a guitar is not allowed to play his music? He has to play the music a previous owner played on it 50 years ago?
    Get a grip, guys!

11. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

here's a question...do you believe that Billy Gibbons can pick up virtually any plank of wood and sound like Billy Gibbons (you know, that thing he does at every Show)?

Do you believe that Angus and Clapton colud swap guitars for a night and still sound like themselves?

I don't mean style, I mean SOUND.

Funny how sometimes we laud a player that can pick up any instrument and get "their" sound, and then other times we ridicule them for it....

When JoeB played it, did he/it sound like Peter Greene or Gary Moore?

I am not really a Hammitt fan, but that pretty much answers that question, to me......

but hell, I'm JUST a drummer, what do I know?

12. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

no, he can play whatever he wants on it, just that he's got so much gain and distortion running thru it, it's killin the greeny-ness of the tones that guitar can make. Sometimes you hear virtually no difference between greeny and that ESP he was playing. That's all amp and player style.

I like KH, he's another guilty guitar player pleasure like Slash is, but while it's cool he owns it and is actually playing it, OTOH it's odd to hear such a stellar sounding instrument sound like the floor of Guitar Center on a saturday afternoon (tonewise that is as KH ceratinly is better than the run of the mill kids banging away on badly tuned deans thru line 6 amps....)

13. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Of course any owner can do whatever with Greeny but I don't care what KH does with it as much as I care about what happens to Greeny. Imagine for a moment that KH decided to throw Greeny into a woodchipper, something he's clearly entitled to do as it's rightful owner. I can't imagine anyone who cares about the guitar to wax about KH's property rights instead of expressing outrage at the atrocity committed. Well, KH doesn't damage the guitar but the same principle applies,voicing an opinion doesn't infringe on KH's property rights in any way and on a guitar forum we should be free to comment on what he does with the guitar we care about. Making it sound identical to his ESP is not putting THAT guitar to good use, IMVHO. Preserving and displaying it under glass would be a preferable approach. That's my personal opinion, nothing more. And I really like the fact that KH bought it, I just don't care for what he coaxes out of it in terms of tone.

14. hoss

hoss Senior Member

If I had Greeny I would still sound like me and play like ****.

15. yeti

yeti Senior Member

True and false @ the same time. Yes, it would sound like you but it might sound like a part of you that previously was hidden from view.
    That could manifest itself as riffs and licks you didn't know you could play to writing songs inspired by the instrument. But, yes, in principle you are at least 50% correct:cool:

16. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

JUst read the whole thread..gotta clear something up...

That is not even Gary, nor Greeny, nor even 50's LP tone.:cool:
    (on the recorded version LIVE, album yes)
    That is Brian Robertson, WITH A late 60's early 70's (has even been described as a '73) Custom...(gasp...a NORLIN??:cool:)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wgb-5bLaLA[/ame]
    And with the Deluxe:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261uidoVOVk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261uidoVOVk[/ame]

Gary came back to TL AFTER Live and Dangerous..but as a Robbo replacement. He was back in in for less than a year.

Yet his connection to Thin Lizzy is deep, technically, he was a casual member...

Gary was really just a fill in TL..but a DAMN good one..I love his takes on their material.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwUMsFcmSPk[/ame]

But if you heard it on the Radio, live, it was ROBBO...

17. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

I thought Gary Moore played with a fair bit of gain and distortion as well???

18. hoss

hoss Senior Member

And too many notes also.

19. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

enter MatsA.....tell 'em matts!

20. Biffmeister

Biffmeister Senior Member

Cool vid, thanks for sharing.:thumb: