Kemper vs Amplifire vs GSP1101 demo

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AmpedUp, Aug 18, 2017.

1. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Interesting to say the least. I'm thinking that the Kemper has the edge, but they'd all work.

Rhust likes this.
  2. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I had a GSP1101. Only reason I got rid of it was because I bought an AxeFX. If I hadn't bought the Axe, I'd still have the GSP. It had a lot of usable sounds, and there are some great vids on youtube of it where people really make it scream.

One of the other forums I'm on has a 90-page thread on it.

AmpedUp likes this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Although they do all sound good, I can hear quite a difference, particularly in dynamics and responsiveness to the pick, with the Kemper ahead, Amplifire next, and GSP last. GSP was a little 2D at times as well, with lesser complexity of harmonics, which again Kemper was much better (particularly the higher gain stuff) And, of course, you can't hear how it feels to play each.

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  4. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Cybermgk, I notice the differences more so as gain is added with my GSP1101 where it lags behind a tad from the AA3. Don't have a Kemper and have never heard the Kemper in person, so I can't say how it compares. This guy is only able to get "so close" with the I/Rs he is choosing though. the Kemper definitely shines in this comarison.

5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

And the bottom line? If you didn't know that was modelers in the shoot out.. You wouldn't guess it was digital

cybermgk and AmpedUp like this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

That too

7. NeubyWanKaneuby

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that when I used to turn off the cab sims and run the GSP through a power amp and cab that it also sounded really good. I think the IRs are its greatest weakness.

AmpedUp likes this.
  8. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I have played my GSP through a couple of different generic 4x12's with a couple of different rack PA amps and it sounded fair. They are generic MDF cabs with no name speakers though. I turned off the cab sims for that.

However, I did personally build a kind of replica 2061CX Marshall 2x12 verticle slant from 3/4" plywood to learn on, and have started another one from 5/8" void free birch plywood. This first one has 2 Eminence GB128's in it and sounds really good with my tube head. I'll have to plug into that and see how it sounds. I just haven't done it yet. I'll bet the Plexi models sound great through it on the GSP. Thanks for the great idea Neuby!

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  9. NeubyWanKaneuby

You're welcome! I played mine through a Velocity 100 power amp and a Laney GS212IE loaded with Celestion 70/80s. I've upgraded the speakers since, but I felt like I had some great success with that combo.

AmpedUp likes this.