Keep Your Guitar in Tune : changing and stretching new strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Malikon, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

I've adjusted Strats that were in tune. You just need to make sure that the screwdriver is a perfect fit, so it doesn't strip the screwhead.

...but that applies to any situation where you use a screwdriver.

The proper screwdriver head in the proper screw, can't strip out,...in my experience. It grips too well to 'skip' across the screw.

...that being said,..if I were tightening the claw (which would raise the string pitch even higher,..increasing the tension)...then yeah I'd loosen the strings first.

...that was one of the things the bugged the sh*t out of me about Strats,...actually maybe the only thing. I had to do setups on it at least once a month because the saddles would move.

And then instead of adjusting 2 screws (like on an LP) you're adjust 12 tiny little allen screws,..2 in each saddle.

That got real old real quick. :laugh2:

I prefer the sound and feel of an LP,..but I LOVE how much easier they are to setup.

Well cut nut, proper relief in the neck via T-rod adjustment, and set the bridge/string height? That's it,...You're off and racing.

No constant tuning and retuning,..adjusting a couple things, retuning,..adjusting a couple things,..retuning.

Strats are great guitars,...but damn they're a lot of work to keep running in a perfect and optimal state.

...at least in my experience. It became a real chore keeping it optimal 100% of the time.

1 person likes this.
  2. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

yeah they do tend to move, loctight or nail varnish on the threads stops 'em loosing an they can still be adjusted later if you want to, Dont use paint, I found out that was,nt a good idea :)

like the vid' btw

3. AJBehrens

AJBehrens Junior Member

4. Plant

Plant Member

Has anyone else ever been tightening the low-E, without noticing that it wasn't in the nut, and was being wound against the headstock leaving a dent?

No, just me being a plonker then :slash:

5. Plant

Plant Member

Is it possible to over-tighten a string when putting it on? My D string sounds a but twangy (as if it isn't actually tight enough, even though it is in tune) and I am wondering if I damaged the string by tuning way past the D (I wasn't paying attention)?

6. 357mag

357mag Member

Nothing wrong with import guitars. Having a $2500.00 Gibson isn't gonna make you sound or play better, nor is it gonna stay in tune any better. It's all bull****.

7. Thugstrings

Thugstrings Junior Member

Bookmarked. Thanks for sharing this!

8. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

no problem.

I see a lot of people complain about how Les Pauls wont stay in tune and I honestly never have that problem, not with any of them. So I don't think it's the Les Pauls. :laugh2:

parts likes this.
  9. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Nice vid, especially for those who have not done this.

I've been at this a long time. I've always looped the string under and over at the start to insure a secure lock. Makes them a tiny bit harder to remove, but they are not going to slip.

Lemon oil is a subject of some debate. I used it back in the day - no longer. The acidity can have a negative effect should any make its way into the frets. Martin guitar specifically states to avoid lemon oil. They recommend 3 in 1 oil or what is currently used at the factory (been there 3 times) Dr. Duck's Ax Wax (no wax in it).

I use a tiny drop on a clean cotton rag, rub it in to the wood one or two sections at a time to clean finger grime, then buff what little excess is left off. No real need to let it soak in. Your mileage may vary ...

I pull the strings to stretch as well, but only 2 or 3 times. I may try more.

This may be mentioned here as well - wash your hands well before playing (and changing strings) if you are able. Carefully wipe your strings down after playing with a clean cotton cloth. Your strings will thank you for it by lasting longer.