Keep Your Guitar in Tune : changing and stretching new strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Malikon, Nov 18, 2012.

1. wilma7

wilma7 Junior Member

Hello, i am new to this forum. it is good to always keep in tune your piano or any instrument.

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Yabba dabba do.

2 people like this.
  3. calvin1

calvin1 Senior Member

great video thank you.

4. psychojohn

psychojohn Senior Member

Thank you for saving me time and money by teaching me to do it myself.

john

5. smokeyman

smokeyman Senior Member

I just changed my strings for the first time by myself but after changing them I stated experiencing fret buzz, I changed brands but not gauges. is this normal? do I have to adjust the neck or should I just leave it there for some time until the neck bends because of the strings.

great video, thanks

6. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

I'd probably give it a day, see how the guitar plays, then do set-up work on it as needed.

Even the same gauge string from different companies could have different tension levels (or if one set of string is nickel vs steel.)

Has the action changed? Did the bridge move at all when you changed strings?

It's either the neck moved slightly or the bridge moved slightly.

All easily fixed w/ minor adjustment. :)

7. dawny

dawny Junior Member

Nice video but I have 2 questions:

Ive got a gibson les paul 2013 Std. its a rosewood Fretboard! Ive got Lem Oil, do i should use it with rosewood?

Second: I thought it is better to change the strings one by one because of the neck pressure?!

8. Malikon

you wont hurt the neck any by taking all the strings off and changing the strings quickly. Just loosen all the strings first before you cut them.

Lemon oil is fine for rosewood fretboards, just don't over do it. (like oiling the board every month or something)

9. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Senior Member

I have been changing strings for over 20 years, and go through pretty much the same process as you, however, I was always taught to snap off the excess by twisting the tuned up string at the tuner post. Have you seen or tried this and do you have any strong feelings about this practice either way?

10. Malikon

don't get what you mean by twisting the strings at the post. I'm against knotting and things at the tuner posts, just makes getting the old strings off a pain in the ass, and sometimes they end up stuck into your fingertips.

I just curve the string against the post and leave about a 1/2 inch sticking out. Since I 'Z' the string through the tuning post and stretch the strings, I don't get any slippage.

(and lubing the nut with Vaseline at string change time prevents binding.)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. brattmatter

brattmatter Senior Member

You're the man. Great video.

I do a similar technique for stretching and I use Bill Baker's method for wrapping around the post:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc]The proper way to restring a guitar by Bill Baker - YouTube[/ame]

12. sevycat

sevycat Member

Different then the way I learned, but a very interesting process which I liked, Thanks!

13. Malikon

Different then the way I learned too. :laugh2:

Took a while to come up with a method that worked for me and kept the guitar in tune.

It's really a balancing act between how you set the string through the peg ('Z' shape), how the wraps wind on the post with no loose spots for slippage, (if you're really anal you can rotate the string a bit while you wind it too, the strings twist slightly when they're installed, .. you can counter that if you really want, but it's even more work and to be honest I never noticed much difference between a perfectly straight string and one with a slight twist in it from bridge to nut.)

Then with proper stretching and some lube (vasoline) in the nut slots, usually done last,..pull the strings up and dab a little vaso with a Q-tip and then drop the string back in and clean up all the excess.

Guitar should stay in tune. Once my guitar is in tune I hardly ever tune it again, other then some very fine tuning here and there. It's not uncommon though to do a gig or rehearsal, not touch my guitar for days, and when I pick it up again it's still in tune. And that's after 2 sets of extreme 'widdily widdily SQWEEEEE!!' :laugh2:

And since switching to .12 gauge strings I haven't broken one,...which is nice. :)

They seem to take more abuse and bending before metal fatigue starts kicking in.

Guitar is such a perfect example of a 'sum of it's parts' instrument.

It's all these tiny details all working together that make a guitar really shine. ....and it doesn't take much to upset the balance it seems like.

Harmony,...even instruments need it. :laugh2:

14. Myrddin

Myrddin Junior Member

I know this is old, I just wanted to send my thanks as well... I followed all your steps (no knot) and only the high E string was goofy (if you pull to much when starting it till pull it out). My buddy said I would regret not doing the knot and just starting with the "Z" but you don't know till you try :) ... besides all you folks seem quite happy doing it this way.

Anyway... Thanks !!!!

Cool of you to share your knowledge and you did a fantastic job going into the detail that counts...

on another note... why do you say D'Addario strings only last a week? I don't play as much as most of you guys I guess... But I get in 5+ hours a week...

take care.. let me know if you have any other videos... good stuff.

15. Malikon

I meant for me personally, Diaddario strings wont last. It reacts with my body chemistry/hand oils and turns the strings black really quickly.

I generally don't like the feel of them either. They have a lot of friction to me.

Strings are cheap though, and there's nothing lost by trying a bunch of different companies until you find a set you like a lot.

...I keep seeming to come back to Ernie Ball regardless what strings I use. They just work well and are consistently good.

16. mvforza

mvforza Junior Member

This is a great resource, thank you Malikon for taking the time to make that video

17. hrfdez

hrfdez Senior Member

Malikon, I just finished watching the whole 32 minutes on you stringing and tuning lesson.

That was awesome and some of the best 30 minutes I have spent learning something guitar related.

A lot of things to take from it for sure. I'm installing a new bridge and tail piece in one of my Gibs, so I will be using your method to restring my guitar.

Thanks for taking the time to do the demo:thumb:

18. Malikon

glad to help. :)

19. lineboss58

lineboss58 Senior Member

Yes but do detune the strings form concert pitch first why? Because i listened to some idiot in a guitar setup book that said it could be done at pitch, i ended up chewing the screw heads with a big screw driver. Remember there is a lot of pressure on those screws when the guitar is tuned up, and not just a strat i imagine a les paul stop bar would be the same.

1 person likes this.
  20. bignasty

bignasty Junior Member

Thanks for the vid.