Keep getting pop-up "claim your prize" ads, when mobile browsing.

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by rockstar232007, May 26, 2017.

1. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Senior Member

Fix in the works?

2. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Even if I see an ad for something I REALLY REALLY like on here, I won't click it. I'll just go to google and find it using a search. No way I'm clicking through.

The absurdly excessive ads can go fcuk themselves.

3. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

I figure when I'm able to I'll have to pay for a membership to assuage my guilt over the fact I'm blocking everything.

I feel bad for Gregs Guitars and some of the ads I actually use to like clicking on because now I see nothing. Shame too because now 1/3 of my screen here is just blank wasted space.

4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Mal and all,

I have this problem on my iPad. I really don't think MLP is responsible for this kind of ad, because it completely disables my connection to MLP. Now, what sort of forum would want that. It is obvious that MLP is itself being hacked.

5. Malikon

MLP is responsible because they're allowing the ads. They have to build the framework into the MLP site to allow another company to runs ads on it. They're not being hacked, a script is running through one of the ads in the space they're given that redirects your browser to a new URL. (address)

I'm pretty sure Alex the Owner doesn't want his board members pulled away from his website and taken to another one, especially an incredibly obnoxious one that vibrates your phone and all that.

He needs to find out what publishing company he's allowing to run ads is doing this.This is happening because he's monetized the site and allowed third party vendors/publishers to run ads.

In the meantime you can use adblock on your iPad or iPhone browser,..or get an adblock/ublock extension for Chrome if you're using Android or Windows (or Linux).

Or you can disable Javascript completely on your iPad. Those are the only solutions at the moment until the site Owner finds out exactly what company is running foul scripts on his site.

if you disable Javascript though, some functions of the site will work differently or maybe not at all. So there's a slight drawback to that as well. But slight inconvenience in navigation is a small price compared to the obnoxious hijacking.

Far as I know the hijacking is only happening on mobile devices.

I'm sure MLP will figure it out. Alex knows a lot of people are getting pissed about it and that it's costing members.

Skit, Howard2k and rockstar232007 like this.

6. Dolebludger

Mal,

Thanks, and will do (actually, my wife will have to do it, because I am totally computer illiterate). I don't mind the ads for which MLP is getting paid at all, as they don't block my access to the site content. I know running a site is not cheap, and sometimes the MLP paid ads actually have something I'm interested in! But the ad of which I (and you, and others) complain blocks my access to MLP. I hope (and am rather sure) that Alex did not KNOWINGLY authorize ads that would block access to the site. (That would be totally stupid from a business standpoint, and I'm sure Alex is not stupid.) I prefer, at this point, to think of me, and MLP as co-victims of some sort of "computer scam" -- of which there have been many in the last few days.

7. Dolebludger

Well, guys, my problem with this pop up ad on MLP that blocks use of the forum is not present today. I didn't do anything to my iPad -- the problem just seems to have gone away. Hope it stays away.

8. Dolebludger

Donal,

Just wanted to let you (and all ) know that Safari on my iPad WAS set to block pop ups during the time I had the problem. Somehow, it's ad was getting around that feature.

9. admin1

admin1 Administrator

Hey this is Rob and I handle the advertising on this site. These ads are called forced mobile redirects. They are not wanted here, and we are doing a lot to fix them, but the issue is more complicated then it should be. I'd like to explain the current state of things.

This site makes use of third party advertising. Aka Google Ads. But there are other third parties than just google. And mostly its the other third parties besides google causing the issue. The trouble is that none of these networks have direct relationships with each and every advertiser that buys ads through their platform. Good example is, right now, you could go to one of these services and buy an ad online without talking to someone. On platforms that are doing a bad job of screening their clients, it creates a hole for malicious advertisers to get through. The ad networks themselves are not doing enough to solve the problem and, as a result, it becomes the publisher's (the site's) responsibility to find and block these malvertisers.

Any site, not just this site, that has third party ads is dealing with this issue. So while you may only be experiencing this issue on MLP, I can tell you from experience it is unfortunately a rampant issue for over two years now. We have been doing much on the back end to block these ads. And, when you don't see the issue here, or elsewhere, its because those blocks are working. Sort of a thankless situation. Some of our fixes worked for a while, but criminals find another way.

However, as of just this past week we have a new hired service that proactively blocks these ads. And the cool thing is that, as opposed to the old way where we would get the issue reported to us by you and block these advertisers after the fact (after you re disrupted), now this new service blocks BEFORE it can disrupt you. So I get to see a report showing me the security measures at work. We still have some work to do to fully implement this new service, but if by any chance you seem to be getting no more, or less, malvertising, this is why.

If you experience these issues, send us a message through the contact us link with whatever information you may have. These issues predominately are on mobile and tablet. If you experience the issue, clear your browsing history on that device. Often when a malicious advertiser has the opportunity to serve an ad to you, they will then try to target your device, over-and-over. That is why its suggested to clear your history.

I do think that once we fully have these blocks rolled out you will see an improvement. And you may already have, as I can see on the back end that the service is working to block.

It is our firm belief that it is our responsibility to provide the service free of these issues and we are working to make that possible. Finally, although by no means are we trying to create a situation that you are forced to do so, I will make mention that we do have a paid ad free experience that is by nature of not having ad calls on the page, devoid of the malvertising.

mgenet, DarrellV, Aussiemodo and 5 others like this.

10. Dolebludger

Thanks for your response. Like Mal, I am not interested in blocking legitimate, MLP paid ads, especially those for guitar related stuff. The pop up that is the subject of this forum disabled the forum and had no way (that I could find) to close and exit the ad, and regain my use of MLP.

11. Malikon

thanks for responding Rob. :)

12. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Senior Member

Been seeing these pop ups a lot lately, very annoying.

13. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

I've been keeping track and counting since my post on 6/22 So far My lucky iPad has been selected to win $28,000 in gift cards. I'm thinking about quit my job and just collecting gift cards on MLP all day and reselling for half the valve. I think it's a solid business plan. Lol Just kidding but seriously MLP needs to fix this crap. They got us into this mess and need to get us out IMO

mgenet and pillbug like this.

14. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Did you read the middle/bottom half of post #69 from Admin1?

15. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Senior Member

No pop ups for about a week.

16. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

On another note, which may or may not have been mentioned, how come I have to log in each time I open MLP on my iPhone? I even click the "stay logged in" box.

17. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell

Make sure you accept cookies from MLP, if they get deleted for some reason, you lose the login.

18. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :cheers2: :dude:

Thank you Rob!

I work in IT and have to deal with similar threats proactively through e-mail and browsing habits! Gets tougher every day!

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

mgenet likes this.

19. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

Ok I'll try that

Thanks!

Btw how do I do that?

20. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell

:laugh2:

Go to your browser's settings (since I don't know which one you are using, I'm giving a general example). There should be a section called "privacy" or "security" or something.
    Thats where it should say something about cookies.

In my browser I have the options of "always block", " allow from current website only" "allow from websites I visit" and "always allow" Mine is set to the third option.

LPMarshall Hack likes this.