Keep getting pop-up "claim your prize" ads, when mobile browsing.

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by rockstar232007, May 26, 2017.

1. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

interesting. Another good tip.

:thumb:

2. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

I find iPads are unique. Some sites open up automatically with a mobile version running and others open with desktop version even when I know certain sites have a mobile app too. Turning off Java just causes more frustration but in a different way. I can deal with ads but not like what few of us are getting today

3. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Yup not every time here either. Seems to work on a timer. Once you click any MLP link after the timer is up you get the ad again. Either way total BS

4. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

same here, redirects happening after a few minutes of browsing with the mobile site. i ran a couple of different Xenforo based forums sites and I never had this issue but then again all of the ads I hosted were topic specific, none of it was placed by third party vendors. either way, it's a big downer for the site to have this problem happening out of control of the admin

5. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

I'm running out of room in my house for all these prizes....

6. Malikon

if it happens again can you get back to the page and copy the source?

I've been digging through trying to find exactly what's happening. I assume there's some type of top.location or windows.location happening because it completely removes you from MLP when it happens. But I'm not seeing anything really suspicious. Lots of google and adsense, DFP (doubleclick for publishing) which seems legit?

I'm looking for something I think will look sort of like:
    (in between script tags)

top.location = "https://www.BSAd.com";
    or
    window.location.replace("https://www.BSAd.com");

(kind of pulling sht out of my ass there since I don't actually know exactly what I'm looking for /\/\/\. You genius IT folks here don't laugh too hard at my fumblings. :laugh2: I'm just looking for something that seems 'not quite right.')

So I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of event listener running on the main page that gets triggered when you click a thread? I've not gotten the hijack on the main page, it's always after I click a thread and the thread starts loading.

..I'm just curious how exactly this is working and I want to see the code.

Been doing even more reading today about how to hijack a site and it appears there are multiple publishing companies that are used to run ads and all the companies deal with these problems, so it's not really MLP being "bad" so to speak, it's whatever publishing company they're using to inject ads into the site. Whatever that company is is not catching things as they should. There's some kind of framework involved that allows a company to basically spam whatever they want into a certain section of the site. (I see MLP is running Bootstrap. Nice. :) ) But that little portal they're allowed is overtaking the site and removing you completely from MLP. That's not cool, obviously. And I'm sure Alex the owner of MLP does not want that happening.

I'm going to go back to the screenshots I took and look up those goofy IP's that were in them too.

...I'd like to get to the bottom of this just for my own personal satisfaction.

If I can find exactly what event is being triggered, perhaps I can figure out a better workaround?

idk. But it's happened enough times and to enough people that now I want to find out more.

So if anyone gets hijacked please copy the source code of the ad page and the MLP page that brought you to it (if you can get back to it), and PM me and I can give you an email address to send the source code to.

I thought EHB had found something weeks ago so I should probably ask him too I guess. Because I'm just not seeing anything I think would hijack, so I'm curious exactly how this is working.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

Kinda like television...

First there was broadcast. The only cost was that you had to watch a few adverts.

Then came cable TV. Now you could just pay a subscription up front instead of watching the ads.

THEN some bright boy realized that you could charge the punters a subscription AND make 'em watch ads too!

Next thing we got 'em in movies, novels....no end to that sweet, sweet ad revenue :thumbs:

We're All Suckers.....:laugh2:

8. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

No way I will renew mine. I like the site, there are some cool members here, and most of the mods are a great bunch too. But I already paid, and now I have ads added and am being asked to pay again.

Fcuk. That.

9. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Ok, now blocking pop ups and JavaScript off

10. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

who is the Admin here? is it a marketing/advertising company that owns the site or was it an enthusiast that started it and still runs it?

11. Malikon

Enthusiast

12. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Or was he a refugee or dissatisfied member of another forum.?

13. tzd

tzd Senior Member

It seems to happen only on my iPad. Does not happen on my iPhone or Mac. It's now practically unusable on the iPad.

14. Tiboy

Tiboy Senior Member

I'm getting them on my iPad here and on the Marshall forum.

15. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Same here, last few days when coming here from my iPhone or iPad, getting this cr@p. Can only visit MLP Forum now from the iMac or mac mini.

16. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

happens on my iPhone, still on 9.3.5.

sad that it's sanctioned. it's not cool.

17. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

WTF? We get hit with a stupid format change, then we have to put up with all the damn ads, and now the most annoying scam pop-up that's been going on for a while.

I'm done.

18. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I just got it again while browsing this thread.

MLP, you need to police your ads better

rockstar232007 likes this.
  19. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

The problem might be fixed, JavaScript is on since yesterday and no pop ups.

20. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Ooops, spoke too quickly, came back to add the word "iPad" and I got the dreaded pop up