Keep getting pop-up "claim your prize" ads, when mobile browsing.

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by rockstar232007, May 26, 2017.

1. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

:laugh2:

meatball, Harmony and HeartString like this.
  2. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

I don't get pop ups but every now and then one of the ads will max out the CPU.

Imagine how much energy is being wasted globally on this crap.

HeartString and cmh6122 like this.
  3. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

The site has kindly made it possible for us to pay to not see ads (which I have done ...). Then these things start happening. Can you say Monetization ?

4. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

you can also turn off Javascript, it's JS that's doing it. It's been happening for months. And as soon as the problem is supposedly fixed it comes back.

it's the ads,...basically.

block the ads or block the scripts.

It makes no sense to let malicious javascripts run on your computer so it's just downright safer for you to turn it all off. The shame of it is,..if the ads weren't hostile I'd let them run to help support MLP.

But I know what javascript that's isn't nice can do to a computer, so best to disable it all on MLP.

There would be more ads being seen if people didn't have the very real need to disable them all. I always let MLP ads run before in the past to help the site,..and I'd click on them (see a cool guitar? *click*)

Now I have it all disabled and blocked. For safety.

It's terrible on mobile and I generally don't use mobile anymore for MLP. Which stinks because part of the overhaul of the site was to make it better to see it on mobile.

Site numbers are down and I'm pretty sure it's because of the ads, malicious scripts being allowed to run, and the fact most people these days use the net on mobile,..and if the site isn't mobile friendly people just wont come here.

It's obvious what needs to be done but I don't think it's going to happen. Because this has been going on for months and quite a few people have complained and made threads about it but it still continues.

Some company is being given permission to run hijacking ads on this site. These things don't just happen out of the blue.

Dolebludger, Howard2k, mrfett and 5 others like this.
  5. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

image.png 3x already this morning. Checked and my iPad has pop up blocker on. Takes you to different site automatically and you have to use back button to come back to MLP

6. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

I had this problem a while back, but then it went away. Now it's back again (3 times today). PITA that's for sure.

7. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

I have seen stuff similar to this in Chrome and it is a local browser hijack.

Only way I got rid of it was to go into settings clear all the history and reset the browser back to original settings.

Gone until next time....

I figure you have prolly already done this.. Just putting it out there 'cause I just had to fix a similar hijack on a co-worker's Chrome browser.

8. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

The ad is for Amazon this time. Last time it was Walmart.

9. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

See? You've been upgraded already!

Pop1655, Olds442, Rich and 2 others like this.
  10. Malikon

https://www.technipages.com/ios-enable-or-disable-javascript

iOS 7 & Higher
    1. Tap the “Settings” icon.
    2. Select “Safari“.
    3. Scroll down to the bottom and select “Advanced“.
    4. Set the “JavaScript” setting to “On” (green) to enable it. Set it to “Off” (white) to disable it.

some parts of the site wont work properly with Javascript,..but it's better than getting your mobile hijacked and vibrated all the time.

You might have to go through alerts, to get to a post, to get to Backstage,..stuff like that. You'll have to play around a bit to figure out navigation.

It's been an ongoing problem for a while and part of the reason I think membership is down. People tend to not go to sites that hijack their phone,...or they don't return to sites that hijack their phone.

It's no way to get new members that's for sure. I never go back to sites that do this crap if they do it the first time I visit.

...this is all so stupid for a number of reasons. You piss off the loyal members, you drive away new members, old members who used to let ads run to help the site now turn off all ads and Jscript. It's just all around terrible for the site and the membership. Why it's still being allowed to happen is mind boggling.

Then telling people, "You can pay ever more for premium membership to turn off ads" is insulting. Like people don't know how to ad-block?

I always use to let the ads run and I enjoyed clicking Sweetwater and stuff to look at guitar pics and help out the site. "use to." :cool:

Plus then the legit sites like Gregs Guitars,...who sees their ads if everyone starts turning off ads? So soon Greg stops paying for ads because people don't see them anyway?

....in the long run that stupid hijacking ad will cost more money and more members than it could possibly be worth.

:facepalm:

People want to help out the site. We want to turn the ads on and click on them to help out. Help us to help you, MLP. This has been going on for months and months with no real acknowledgment it's even happening.

So on PC people are ad-blocking and on mobile/tablets people are turning off Jscript.

So no one is seeing ads, anyway.

That can't possibly be good for the sites business. What's zero percent of zero?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    meatball, Olds442, bilbarstow and 4 others like this.
  11. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

You're getting same thing? It's definitely triggered by clicking on threads to open in MLP I'm up to 5x already

12. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

Yeah. It's kind of sporadic. Doesn't happen every time. But it's been busy today.:laugh2:

13. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Yeah this is BS ...anything for a nickel anymore. It's infuriating as it's ruining MLP for me. I'll be the next member gone if they keep taking my iPad where I didn't send it

14. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Getting amazon ads and the stupid "Your phone has a virus!" pop-ups quite a bit since about two days ago. Rather maddening.

15. Malikon

why let yourself get hijacked 5 times?

no offense but just turn it off. Why do the same thing over and over expecting different results?

...definition of insanity and all that. Just turn it off. Don't get mad about it when you can do something about it.

I agree it's annoying as hell. That's why I repeatedly have posted the workaround in multiple threads for multiple devices. :laugh2:

16. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

When an add video playing in the top banner would keep directing the page to the top-of-the-page, I had enough. Add-blocker fixed it.

17. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

This kinda crap is exactly why I use Adblock. I don't care if you have to pay for the site, stuff like this just doesn't fly. Keep the malware and shitty ads away from me, thank you.

To be clear, its not just this site, the ad industry has fucked the whole web with stuff like that.
    Adblock is and stays on, I don't care if a site goes under, there'll be another one.

EDIT says: That said, I will renew my membership though as soon as my next paycheck arrives.
    I am fine with paying to keep a good site running, not just like this...

Skit and Rich like this.
  18. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

It also stops happening if you switch over to the desktop version of the site, at least on my mobile handheld cellular device.

Malikon likes this.
  19. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

That cracked me up :laugh2: