Kay Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Greenman22, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Greenman22

Greenman22 Junior Member

my son has a old black 'KAY' Les Paul.

Can anyone tell me anything about the guitar? The LP looks like it's about 30 plus years old.

2. mono

mono Senior Member

It's black and Les Paul shaped? :D
    I'm not going to lie - I know NOTHING about this subject.
    But from what I have seen, more specifics yield greater explanations.
    If you could post some photos the experts may be able to help out a bit more.

3. UITA

UITA Senior Member

My first guitar was a Kay Les Paul and I still have one now. Not going to mince my words here, I find them to be junk.

Mr Teeny likes this.
  4. Pete C

Pete C Member

I remember them from the 70's when I was a teenager. They were the type of guitar you could buy from your mum's mail order catalogue. As far as I know they have bolt-on necks and plywood bodies. I had a JHS Les Paul copy which would have been similar to the Kay. That had a bolt-on neck and plywood body with a moulded plastic top. The pickups each had one single coil in a humbucker cover. The neck had a nice low action but that was about all.
    There were some horrendous beginners' guitars in the 70s compared to what you can get nowadays. Saying that there's some good reviews on Kay les Pauls on Harmony Central.

5. UITA

UITA Senior Member

My mam bought mine from Grattans.

6. Pete C

Pete C Member

The good old days before the internet! Didn't have a clue about what I was buying then.

7. Greenman22

Greenman22 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies,
    The LP is all black with white pipe'n. The neck is screw on and not bolt on. Says made in japan, with 6 figure code number.
    l picked the guitar up for 35 quid and spent another 100 quid giving it a full make over. The old humbuckers sound great. As good as my sons 25 year old / 600 quid rare 'tokai' strat.

8. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Thread Killer Premium Member

[​IMG]

9. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Does that mean the neck twists on?!? :lol:

10. stollypop

stollypop Banned

I can tell you they are a piece of s**t. I had one, i bought it over 38 weeks with my paper round money from Kays Catolouge around 1980. The first one was un-playable so we sent it back the second one was also un-playable so again it went back. So my dad decided to order two more and when they came we made one playable guitar out of the two. Still had vey high action and was a c**t to play. The pick ups were awful and just fed back constantly. They were ply wood i think. I gave mine to my cousin who took it to America after he came to visit and i think he sold it (probably for drug money) though not many drugs would have been bought for a $10.00 piece of scrap. They're not worth burning.

11. stollypop

stollypop Banned

Grattans? wow, you were posh, we had Kays and Freemans.

12. Mr Teeny

Mr Teeny Senior Member

I'm sure woolies sold them , just about everyone I knew when I started had a Kay LP/SG/SG bass. I don't remember them being too bad but in those days you'd play any piece of crap, I do remember they looked hell of alot cooler than my first guitar a futurama I picked up for £20. Everyone looked cool and punk whereas I looked like some poor reject form The Shadows with a bright red guitar :)

13. alcxam

alcxam Senior Member

Yea, that's because they're (also) single coils under a h/b cover!

14. UITA

UITA Senior Member

It may well have been Kays or Freemans, my main concern was not the name of catalogue but the quality of the swimwear (summer editions) and lingerie section.......I was in my early teens!!

2 people like this.
  15. stollypop

stollypop Banned

F**k you made me laugh there. Mail order catalouges usually found in teenage boys bedrooms. 'Honest Mum i was looking at the bikes and skateboards'

16. stollypop

stollypop Banned

My friend had one of these bought from Woolies just as crap as the Kay Les Paul[​IMG]

17. Roofless Paul

Roofless Paul Junior Member

My first guitar like the other fella was a Kay les paul Blake no scratch plate and beautiful to look at and play i regret part exchanging it for a Jackson copy. I've owned a Gibson USA Les Paul and I honestly think the Kay was better in all departments look, playability and sound. They're every bit as heavy which suggests quality to me.
    Also It's probably worth a few quid an all.

18. Roofless Paul

Roofless Paul Junior Member

Sounds like the one I had. All reviews I've ever read are either saying there total "junk" to quote the other gentleman or that there as good as a Gibson. One thing I know is you'll know as soon as you play it.