Katana has a new update!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by JOESHMOE, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

Easy and quick if you follow Boss procedure to the letter, do everything in the order they say and it will update without a problem. I had one problem with my USB lead which I plugged into the USB 3 port on my laptop (Katana no like) but I soon figured out why and changed it to USB 2 port then it went fine.

James R likes this.
  2. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I would say it's an easy update provided you follow the instructions to the letter. I would assume that a wrong move could have big consequences.
    I would suggest: print the instructions and read them a couple of times through, thoroughly. Read the thread that is linked in the first post here. Watch the video that is in that thread. Then go for it. For me, all the flashing lights that are supposed to happen, happened at the right time. That's a good thing!
    The best thing for me is getting an extra bank of presets. So instead of four, I now have eight, accessible by holding the "panel" switch down for two seconds on the GA-FS. Also, the cab high and low frequency cuts are nice. It's definitely made this amp more interesting.

James R likes this.
  3. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

The worse thing you can is turn the amp off while it is performing the firmware upgrade. That one instance could result in the amp not switching on and a need for a boss engineer to call. Everything else is recoverable and you can install the upgrade, tone studio and play with it as much as you like just DO NOT TURN IT OFF IF IT IS BUSY.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

I did the update and like the new features.

I also tried the sneaky amp patch. I was actually surprising disappointed in the tone quality of the Fender models. IMO, not at all Fender tone at all.

The Katana is still my 'go too' amp.

Edit update:
    My Katana just bit the dust. :wtf:

Back to my Blackstar HT and Mustang III.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017