Katana has a new update!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by JOESHMOE, Oct 2, 2017.

1. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

frankv, Vortex, Rhust and 1 other person like this.
  2. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

Thanks joe ;-)

3. James R

James R Premium Member

I haven't plugged into my Katana for a while now.
    Any idea on what the update entails?

4. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Cool, maybe this update will get me excited about my Katana. I like it, but I prefer to take my Blues Cube Artist to jam / open mic nights.

5. Michel347

Michel347 Member

It's adding global EQ, parametric EQ for each of your channel (without taking FX space), doubles the amount of channels by adding a second bank, the dedicated reverb slot can now be a reverb, a delay or combination of both, new phaser, new flanger, new Roland SDE-3000 delay. Also you now have multiple options for the line-out.

Pretty awsome update from BOSS.

6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

those are nice features to add to a product that would fall between 'entry' and elite... I wonder if they have ideas to push the katana line into something that would be mentioned and compete with helix, kemper, axe, etc???

for me, a foot controller and XLR and I might have tried a katana over the helix... they sound great in the store.

7. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I'm really leaning toward grabbing a Katana in the very near future. Sold one of my tube amps last night, and will try to move the other (but not holding my breath on it selling).

8. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Senior Member

The one glaring omission is a built-in tuner that could be used on the foot pedal. I know clips ons are cheap, but having it built into the footswitch would have been a nice feature. The extra channel options just upped the attraction of the 50 for me.

Rhust likes this.
  9. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

Updated mine on saturday and I am blown away. The sound is awesome and great to have all the new features. So versatile able to configure the send return loop in tone studio. The reverb and delay2 can be configured how you like it and frees up another effect.
    I downloaded all the file sets into my library love the rock metal and epecially the blues collection. The jimi hendrix simulation are very close indeed. Love this amp!

cybermgk likes this.
  10. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Interesting idea. I would counsel Boss against it. They can rule their current price point, become the new Fender Mustang. Or, they can be at best one of several choices.

NOW, having said that, what we don't have in the high end arena is a Combo type, FRFR solution. There definitely is a market for a top quality Modeler/Profiler grab and go combo imho. Now, Kemper, Axe, Helix went with Amp Head, floor and/or rack options to provide flexability. Good move.

But a combo cab, that allows for a rack unit to be 'snapped' into place in the upper portion seems like a good idea. Snap it in, you have an FRFR combo. Snap it out you have a rack (or floor) unit.

frankv and Rhust like this.
  11. cybermgk

And so it begins.

As Frank, myself and many others have said, we hit the top of the hill. We are now on the downslope. We will see more and more affordable and top sounding gear, as we accelerate down that hill. The snowball is gaining speed and size my friends.

Alderbeck and frankv like this.
  12. cybermgk

If I start playing out again (as in small mic nights etc), or with others again, I will seriously consider it, simply for the ease of grab and go.

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  13. Strobe

Strobe Junior Member

Unfortunately, most of these features and updates do not apply to my Katana mini, but that's OK. It was just meant to be a good sounding grab and go option for practice situations. I have my Kemper if I need the bells and whistles. That said, sometimes I still think about buying a more feature packed Katana. They really sound good, and a combo is right for a lot of situations.

frankv likes this.
  14. cybermgk

Yea, that's the one thing I miss with my current rig (and really the only thing), having that 12" combo option.

frankv likes this.
  15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yep, imagine a boss FRFR solution with a foot controller, at a reasonable price... the firehawk 1500 was similar to what I'm talking about.. a lot of helix guys use that as their FRFR and it serves as a backup rig.. and at 1500 watts, yet still portable, you can play just about anywhere.... if boss had a similar solution in the katana line... that would be amazing... essentially it could be their 100w 2x12 with stereo XLR line in and out, to be used as FRFR only, plus a footswitch to be able to be used standalone...

the yamaha THR100 almost fits that bill too... it didn't get as much love/praise, I think mostly because of the price point... but it is an amazing amp for a backup rig... 90% of an elite modeling, but would fool analog guys with simple controls and amazing tone... I'd love to see them re-work that amp into the helix lineup, even if all they added was a stereo return(since the stereo 2x12 cab is great, but not FRFR, just bypass the cab/IR)

I think for most people to consider these over say a helix, ax8, AA12, they would have to be substansially cheaper than the helix LT or AA12... BUT a lot of people, myself included, would have no problem paying something like AA12 prices for a backup rig that doubles as an FRFR solution, plus a grab and go combo solution. the firehawk 1500 serves that role very will, but is as expensive as another helix LT... other FRFR solutions are also as expensive as a second helix or LT/ax8... boss could DOMINATE by simply adding a stereo XLR IN/OUT to their biggest katana, and tweaking the cabinet/speakers to be closer to a PA speaker combo... keep it under 600, and you have a killer product!

this is what they should aim at...
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireHawk1500

the EXISTING katana has better controls and comparable sound... but it doesn't serve as an FRFR...

frankv likes this.
  16. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

I dont think a lack of a tuner is a glaring omission.

At $329 I would by the 100 1x12 combo even if it
    didn't have any effects.

Jimmy

Rhust likes this.
  17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

that would be an interesting option... and then pair it with one of their multi-effects products that has effects only (no amp sims...

only effects I care about could easily be added into a small unit with a few footswitches, that also could control the katana... delay, chorus/flanger, boost, comp, and volume/wah... sometimes simple is WAY better.

18. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Tim, you are right. there is market space for a combo AXE/Matrix. Much like you have there with your excellent 2 12 XiTone with that neat matrix slip in. Boy was I dumb not completing that purchase.

But yes.. The AXE and Matrix is perfect for this combo because they are lightweight items.

cybermgk likes this.
  19. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I just did the update. It went flawlessly, I'm happy to say, and it's really nice to have the extra presets and other functions. I may start playing the Katana a bit more now. It's like Boss gave my amp a new lease on life and didn't charge me anything. Cool!

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  20. James R

James R Premium Member

I have to get mine updated and run it through the paces.
    I like the amp a lot, but it's been shelved for a couple months.
    Time to plug it in and let it rip.

Is the update an easy process?
    I had quite an issue with getting the drivers to install on my laptop when I first got the amp.
    My computer kept blocking the drivers because they were unsigned or some such bs.
    Thankfully, google saved the day on that one, but it was far more annoying than any other update or install I've ever had to do.