Just when I thought I was done with distortion pedals...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by jep1210, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

So, about a month after proclaiming to the enabling guitarist in my band that I was done...DONE!!!! I had the perfect set up between my Friedman and my Triple Wreck and didn't need to look at anymore pedals. I had the perfect sound I was looking for...well not the perfect sound...but it was ok...I could live with it. Ok I admit it I was settling somewhat. :) We have a habit of egging each other on to buy pedals, mostly to make ourselves feel better about spending money on more pedals. Well he comes in with a Strymon Sunset...and insisted on yammering on about the wonders of this pedal.

At first I'd "politely" entertain his mutterings about how he could ditch his Plexi Deluxe now that he had the Sunset and think to myself yeah this will last two months. We have very different tastes in a distortion tone so I just figured the Strymon was a pedal that was working for him...and did I mention I had everything I needed? Also, I got a Strymon Riverside last year that sounded good but was having trouble getting what I was looking for out of it. So, my preconceived notion of Strymon distortion wasn't going to work for me.

Then I started to listen to all the talk about the stacking ability and two pedals in one and the review videos became an obsession. Well Chappers and the Captain had me intrigued enough to check Reverb to see what Sunsets were going for. $220 was apparently the price I could not pass up despite it came without a box or manual.

Has anyone tried this thing? My god it's awesome. There is so much flexibility in this pedal I've bumped my over drive off my board. I can get great solo tones and classic rock rhythm from one pedal. If you can get your hands on one, I recommend giving it a try. Each side has three different voicings to choose from, for a total of 6 different voicings. On top of that you can choose to stack side A into B or side B into A or even A and B in parallel.

Sorry to ramble on and on but this thing is my favorite piece of gear at the moment.

Hector Arcadius and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Just checked out the pedal on Strymon's youtube demo. Yes indeed that thing is cool. Must. Have!

3. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Strymon makes good stuff, I'm still enamored with my timeline. Need a bigsky next, but will be trying the sunset aswell. Which is probably a bad idea for my wallet.

jep1210 likes this.
  4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Duuude!
    It's only overdrive!
    Get over it!

Or just buy the freakin' thing!
    :thumb:

5. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Not sure who this is directed to but I did buy it and it's much more than "only an overdrive". :naughty:

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  6. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

"Or just buy the freakin' thing!"
    :thumb:

[​IMG]

7. freak

freak Silver Supporter

Never knew you and Dan had that kind of 'relationship'.

Ok, I did. :band:
    will have to measure pedal boards next gig. See whose is bigger. :hmm:

8. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Hahaha! It's not the size that matters...it's what you can do with it...we ARE still talking about pedal boards.

9. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

...oh, and it's all him. He's a total instigator. I'm the innocent party here.

10. freak

freak Silver Supporter

Yes.
    From what i have seen, that seems to be the case.

That guy......

jep1210 likes this.
  11. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

The Sunset does seem very good but I’m trying to stick with my Box of Rock, Euphoria and PlexiDrive on my ‘board for a few gigs at least ...

I picked up a Boss Angry Driver for a “chuck in the guitar case” overdrive ... highly recommend it, the parallel mode is simply stunning for a huge 3D drive sound with both gain and clarity.