JUST THESE FEW Single Coils - HALF OFF - (Strat, Tele, P-90)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Nov 3, 2017.

1. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

These ReWind single coils are all brand new and were only used for product photography for my website. This is your chance to get them at a heavy discount before I start promoting the new stuff and selling it at regular price. They are priced at $200/set, which is half off of what they will be selling for normally. Yes, the regular price will be on the expensive side. I'm not attempting to price-compete with anyone with these. Just look at them! They are likely the most accurate Fender replica pickups in EVERY detail available, period. 100% American made form 100% American made parts, not just "assembled" here. Every bit as much care that I put into my PAFs has been put into these. In some ways, perhaps more. Here's your chance to get in on them early and cheap before the rest!

The Fender Fat 50's are used. I replaced the hookup leads (which were cut a little short) on the neck/middle. They are NOT rewound coils. All original but the cloth leads on two of them.

[​IMG]

Click on the product titles for more detailed photos. Some sets have demos. Others have not had demos uploaded yet.

$200
    1951 Nocaster Set - Flat pole A3 bridge / A5 neck magnets, AWG 43 plain enamel wire, hand wound coils, heavily hand sanded black forbon, nitrocellulose lacquer dipped bobbins, zinc plated steel elevator plate, cloth insulated leads, black wax potted and twine wrapped bridge pickup.

$200
    1966 Tele Set - Demos - Staggered and lightly chamfered A5 magnets, AWG 43 plain enamel wire, machine wound coils, lightly sanded gray forbon, nitrocellulose lacquer dipped bobbins, copper plated steel elevator plate, cloth insulated leads, clear wax potted and white twine wrapped bridge pickup.

$200
    1965 Strat Set - Staggered and lightly hand chamfered A5 magnets, AWG 42 heavy formvar wire, machine wound coils, lightly hand sanded gray forbon, nitrocellulose dipped lacquer bobbins, cloth insulated leads, clear wax potted.

$200
    1969 Strat Set - Staggered and lightly hand chamfered A5 magnets, AWG 42 plain enamel wire, machine wound coils, lightly hand sanded gray forbon, nitrocellulose dipped lacquer bobbins, plastic insulated leads, clear wax potted.

$200
    1974 Strat Set - Flat pole non-chamfered A4 magnets, AWG 42 plain enamel wire, machine wound coils, lightly hand sanded and number stamped gray forbon, nitrocellulose dipped lacquer bobbins, plastic insulated leads, lacquer potted.

$100
    1959 P-90 - Demos - Vintage alloy pole pieces, machined vintage alloy steel keeper bar, long unoriented rough cast American A5 magnets cast from analyzed vintage examples, machine wound coil copied from a great 1959 example and rewound turn-by-turn on a CNC winding machine to extremely an extremely exact reproduction, plain enamel wire custom spec'ed with copper core and insulation thicknesses and tolerances of wire analyzed from the same 1959 P-90, correct style braided shield hookup lead, dog ear format baseplate.

$̶7̶5̶ ̶/̶ ̶O̶B̶O̶ ̶ SOLD!
    F̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶C̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶ ̶S̶h̶o̶p̶ ̶F̶a̶t̶ ̶'̶5̶0̶s̶ ̶S̶t̶r̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶i̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶g̶l̶e̶-̶c̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶1̶9̶5̶0̶s̶ ̶S̶t̶r̶a̶t̶o̶c̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶.̶ ̶H̶o̶t̶-̶r̶o̶d̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶e̶n̶h̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶p̶o̶n̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶2̶1̶s̶t̶-̶c̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶i̶t̶u̶d̶e̶.̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶m̶v̶a̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶g̶n̶e̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶R̶e̶v̶e̶r̶s̶e̶-̶w̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶d̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p̶,̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶g̶g̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶-̶b̶e̶v̶e̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶p̶u̶t̶,̶ ̶A̶l̶n̶i̶c̶o̶ ̶5̶ ̶m̶a̶g̶n̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶n̶h̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶y̶n̶a̶m̶i̶c̶s̶,̶ ̶P̶e̶r̶i̶o̶d̶-̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶b̶b̶i̶n̶.̶ ̶(̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶F̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶.̶c̶o̶m̶)̶

Reach out at (2O2) 246-O147 or info@re-wind.net

Thanks for checking these out! :cheers2:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Who likes this.
  2. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

How would that p90 compare to a low wind fralin I've got in a DC junior? I find mine slightly un-lively and not bright enough for my taste.

cooljuk likes this.
  3. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

Ooo...Nocaster set, hmm? That's tempting...

cooljuk likes this.
  4. cooljuk

I think Lindy tends to use A4s in his P-90s. I've heard a few of them and my ears are pretty sure that's the case. I think I remember that coming up in a conversation, as well. He makes a fine pickup and is a great guy so I'm not down talking his, at all, but here is what you can expect in difference, based on my experience:

Less mids from the magnet but more from the coil so a more harmonically rich and complex midrange with a more vocal range of sounds as you roll the tone control around. There may be a little less mids, overall, because of the A5s in mine but that difference will be minimized by the hotter coil, compared to if you just dropped A5s into the Fralin.
    More jangle on the top end, particularly around the pick attack frequencies, as well as overall more treble from the A5s with a nice open breathy top end.
    A bit more output, overall.
    A tight detailed bass, not mushy at all, but with a little more compression.

The punchy, jangly, choppy, P-90 thing is ALL there.

I have had one of these in a Junior, myself, and I also have had the original P-90 I designed this pickup after in that same guitar, which is from a 1959 ES-125 (as well as the electronics in that Junior). The two pickups sound basically identical when I go back and forth. I really can hardly tell a difference. I actually used this pickup model quite a bit when I was revising my A5 blend/process the last two times, trying to get the sound closer to the originals. At this point, I'm totally happy with the replica in all regards.

5. cooljuk

I have a few of those, actually. You can take your pick if you want a hotter/cooler wound bridge and I also have some blackguard necks that are A3 (standard is A5 in the Nocaster neck), depending on your preference there.

6. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Hmm... My Junior has an ebony board and a fairly zingy tone unplugged. It also sustains almost indefinitely, so I suspect it'll have that sort of singing quality to it, no matter what's in it. The Fralin that's there isn't bad sounding, in fact, it's a very honest pickup and I suspect it'd sound truly killer in something like an old 125T -- a thinline with a woody, snappy character where it'd sound almost like a flattop acoustic. I really can't stand muddy pickups and the Fralin is very clear, it's just a little clinical in this setting and, though I always associate low output with high treble, it's not quite there, either. Full disclosure: I like bright pickups and would love my junior to get into telecaster territory with the controls dimed -- something that's got a real howling/shrieking character and, I'm not gonna lie, I love microphonic pickups. I'm a little worried that hotter pickups = darker pickups and would take me in the wrong direction?

cooljuk likes this.
  7. cooljuk

I think your experience with the Fralin P-90 is probably in line with mine. I'd say "honest" is a great description of his P-90s and humbuckers. Very even-keeled. I understand what you are saying and it lines up with my experience. Lindy makes fine pickups! Nothing wrong with them at all.

Though you are right that lower output coils tend to equate brighter coils, the magnets, especially in a P-90 with a double-does of AlNiCo bars, can actually have more to do with the sonic profile than just the coil and A5 types have much more treble (and less midrange) than (most) A4 types.

I would definitely not call it a dark pickup, it's got a nice choppy top end and plenty of P-90 AlNiCo jangle. ....but it's also not a Tele bridge. I think the closest you would get to that with a traditional P-90 is a staple P-90, as the magnetic A5 pole pieces will get you a few steps closer to that Fendery direction.

The tall magnetic pole pieces and coil shape of a Tele bridge have a good deal to do with the twang but so does the steel plate under the pickup and even the steel bridge plate and (at least on a 60's Tele) the steel saddles. Actually, I could build you something like a 50's or 60's Tele pickup under a P-90 dogear cover. Even with some fake screw to keep the original look, if you want.

If you really want to get Tele-like, though, you might want to explore the idea of swapping some of the bridge/tail hardware for steel parts. I have long steel studs and bushings. Callaham makes a milled billet steel ARB-1 and Stopbar Tailpiece. I'm not sure who makes steel ABR-1 saddles but I think they would be a huge step in the right direction, if you want the 60's Tele sound, over the brass ones, if you can find them.

So, I'm not sure if this P-90 is the answer. I think it will be closer for sure but it also depends on how far you want to go in the Tele direction and to some extent if you are after more of an A3/brass saddle/handwound 50's Blackguard Tele sound or an A5/steel saddle/machine wound 60's Twangcaster sound.

PS - FWIW, my Junior that I was describing the the post above has a baked maple FB, so is probably more similar to your ebony Junior than a typical rosewood FB one would be. I think mine is a 2010-2012 (I forget, lol), it's a Pelham Blue single cut. Got Govers on it, too.

8. cooljuk

"Fender Custom Fat 50's" set is SOLD!

All the rest are still available.

9. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I should've been clearer. I don't want it to sound like a tele so much as be nearly as bright as one. My guitar is one MLP's own Rosser Guitars made for me -- it's got an aluminum bridge and long steel studs. I'm really pretty damned happy with it, but it could be a little brighter and squawkier sounding in a dirty '50s blues sort of way. It doesn't need to sound like a Fender. One thing I wonder (and, at this point I have to apologize for hijacking your thread so much) is about pickup height. I tend to like the sound of P-90s mounted fairly far away from the strings, with the poles raised up proud of the covers. This guitar is set up with the stopbar pretty close to the top, which is awesome geometry from a playing standpoint, but also means the dog-ear cover is very close to the strings. If it was a soapbar, I might drop it 1/8-1/4" farther down and raise the poles back up. I don't know whether there's any conclusion to be drawn there, since it's all fixed-mount stuff. Do some P-90s perform better than others when sitting close to the strings?

10. cooljuk

No need to apologize, at all! It's best to talk about this stuff up front, rather than exchange it later and this conversation may even help others wondering this or that about the sound.

I wouldn't say that some P-90s sound better closer to the strings than others BUT I will definitely say that a P-90 that has its coil sitting low and its pole pieces raised up close to the strings will sound remarkably different than a P-90 that has its coil raised up high closer to the strings with its pole pieces sitting low to allow the coil up higher.

A P-90 with its coil raised up closer to the strings will sound much fuller, with more bass, and fairly louder. One with its coil low and the poles raised up will sound much brighter and thinner.

You're not stuck in just one position with the coil of a dogear P-90, though. Jason Lollar sells a dogear shim kit that has a selection of different thickness shims that you can stack and swap to get just exactly the height increase you want. I've used these effectively with both modern and vintage instruments.

11. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Are you saying I can drop this down to sit lower underneath the cover? I figured that wouldn't be possible without routing it to countersink the mounting tabs into the top of the guitar. 20171103_205819.jpg 20171103_205746.jpg

12. cooljuk

Possibly. That's the other direction than I was thinking (the shim kit would do you no good , that's to raise it up). ...but if you have a deep enough route you could use a modified baseplate with more offset between the feet of the legs and the floor under the magnet. to drop it down. That way you don't have to route under the feet, but you do need to have clearance to drop the rest of the pickup deeper.

What's the route look like inside? Got room?

13. cooljuk

1974 Strat set!
    [​IMG]

...from the bottom. Vintage date stamp action!
    [​IMG]

14. cooljuk

1965 Strat Set
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cooljuk

Everything other than the Fender Fat 50's set is still available.

Detailed photos of the 1969 Strat Set...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. cooljuk

Nocaster.... mmmmmmmmm......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've actually sourced some of the proper sized wider black rubber mounting tube (it's not typical surgical tubing on vintage Fenders) so these sets will ship with that, not the thinner tan stuff shown in the photos above. :D

17. cooljuk

Here's a shot with a few real 1974 (and a 69, if I remember right?) Fender coils that came off clean.

[​IMG]

18. cooljuk

Single bump....

[​IMG]