Just Saw New It < Spoilers>

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tim Fezziwig, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

yup, #1 horror film of all time apparently.

Mr. King finally had a film truly knock one out of the park. :applause:

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  2. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

Pretty much par for the course.

I'm uncanny like that; if everyone universally raves about the latest 'thing' and it makes a zillion bucks I probably won't like it.

Not trying to be edgy or hip 'n cool...

Just the way it always turns out.

TV shows (when I watched TV)......if a new one was aired and I liked it I could pretty much take it to the bank it would be shit-canned after a season or two.

:laugh2:

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  3. Malikon

i+know+that+feel+bro.+i+know+that+feel+bro_76920d_3375373.jpg

Or the things that made the show good and interesting get thrown away in the second season and it becomes practically an entirely different show.

Drama's become soap operas,...Horror becomes Drama,...or they introduce a kid or something that changes the dynamics completely.

Matt_21, Tim Fezziwig and Stevie 202 like this.
  4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

Reminded me a lot of Stand by Me.

I kept expecting them to get leaches in their underpants. :laugh2:

Not scary, but we are adults, what is really scary other than real life. :dunno:

Really not that bad, just a different take than the book or the mini-series. In that we see the kids, then I assume the adults, instead of the adults remembering they were kids ... or something like that.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  5. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

When was the last time any horror movie got any real buzz? The public is craving a good one, and this one is well-reviewed. Everyone has to see it because everyone is talking about it, hence the high box office.

You're definitely a dinosaur, because anyone who remembers a time of truly great horror has to be a dinosaur. Compared to its peers this is a masterpiece, and it's already poised to become a Halloween classic. When was the last time that happened?

I also noticed the majority of your criticisms were dissatisfaction with deviations from the book and/or TV miniseries, which are irrelevant to anyone who hasn't read/seen it or just doesn't care.

Malikon and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  6. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

I'm happy for Stephen King's grand grand grand kid's college fund. I think they should give Bill an Oscar.

ALL HAIL IT!

I was raised on The Exorcist, The Omen, Halloween, Texas Chain, Rabid, American Werewolf in London.....

I must be "critical." It was OK. Public opinion means nothing to me-as I have stated before-most people are morons. Luckily, I see movies for free. I just watched T2-LOVED it..........I only dislike 9/10ths of the movies I see.

VerbalPuke, Benjammin and Stevie 202 like this.
  7. Tim Fezziwig

I just saw Mother last week-0/4 FEZZstars. Damn, loud+jump-cutting-utter tripe. I think Jeepers Creeepers was better than new IT.

[​IMG]

8. Malikon

+1 Jeepers Creepers.

Starts out very strong. Meanders by the end but a hell of a strong beginning.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  9. Tim Fezziwig

New IT relied on LOUD music and that "stutter/shutter" effect.

Oh No, here comes a clown having a seizure!

NewDayHappy likes this.
  10. OldBenKenobi

Hate to break it to you guys but Jeepers Creepers counts as an old movie now. :rofl:

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  11. Tim Fezziwig

Damn O, I'm in amber.
    [​IMG]

OldBenKenobi likes this.
  12. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Agree completely. Nothing at all was scary about this movie, they relied on loud noises to startle you and the dialogue sucked. As soon as I sat down 5 minutes into it, I knew that, oh boy, I have to be here for 2 more hours :shock:.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  13. Tim Fezziwig

I'm watching Hemlock Grove;Skarsgard is the EVIL love-child of James Spader and Steve Buscemi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Matt_21 likes this.
  14. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

I just watched "It".

I liked it.

I have no backstory or history. I've never seen the other movies, never read the book, and came into it knowing nothing about the story.

There was a lot of that. I don't like to be scared when watching movies, so this effect worked well for me. Since it isn't scary.

Malikon likes this.
  15. Tim Fezziwig

Who, I'm in the minority, as usual. I like to be unsettled when watching Horror films. Less is more. The Changeling is a creepy flick, George C pulls out the stops. Have a drink, smoke, toke,joke....watch this...light a fire and some candles.

16. Malikon

suspense doesn't work anymore, people are too desensitized.

just compare the original Friday the 13th's or Halloweens with the remakes. Or the original Texas Chainsaw to the remakes.

Bigger, better, faster, High Def! Explosions!....It's like the Michael Bay movie generation.

Tim Fezziwig and Who like this.
  17. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

I watched that. Season one was not too bad. After that it went to shit. Well...I think really...the final scenes of season one is where it took the dive.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  18. OldBenKenobi

People say it doesn't work anymore but notice that the Michael Bay remakes have aged like warm milk compared to the classics and nobody gives a shit about them.

Good suspense still works. The problem is people no longer have the patience to sit through it, they want to rush to the good stuff. Halloween and TCM are great movies because they're kinda boring, right up until they're not.

Tim Fezziwig and Malikon like this.
  19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'm with Tim. I've read the book a couple of times over the last 25 years, and it is a coming-of-age tale to me -- but the kids in this remake are cardboard cutouts, no character development can really happen when they lack character in the first place. It was a matter of the filmmakers taking the basic plot elements and running them through a meat-grinder. I've seen much better Steve King adaptations, and much better horror films ... this one fell between the two stools.

And Pennywise as Jack-in-the-Box? Puh-leeze. And Patrick Hockstetter-- they totally missed his persona, making him just another part of the body-count. Why include him at all, if you're gonna do that? It was his psychosis that really told the tale of the clown's malign influence.

Saw the movie with my gal at the Alamo Drafthouse. The best thing about the show was the fajitas I had for dinner. We talked about it in the parking lot afterwards over a smoke. She's a King fan as well. Both of us thought it was total crap -- schlock. She said she wants to see the second one, just 'cause ... but I'll only go to keep her company.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  20. Malikon

if you're a King fan and hated IT, definitely don't watch that Dark Tower,...thing, that came out not long ago. :laugh2:

Thumpalumpacus and Tim Fezziwig like this.