Just Saw New It < Spoilers>

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tim Fezziwig, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Sounds just like Ohio in the mid to late 70's to me...drinking by 12 and smoking dope by 13...

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I just found out my wife never read the book or saw the original mini-series in the 90's. I know what we're doing for date night!

Then, the next day: camping. ...in the woods. ...near a reservoir. :D She'll LOVE it. ....maybe? Either way, it'll be intense! I'll make sure she brings her inhaler.

"The Stand" was the first "real" book I read. Sixth grade. My English teacher tried to make an example of me, telling the rest of the class they should all be reading books that thick. ...then I failed her class. Ha! I cared more about the conjuring the apocalypse than conjugating verbs. She spit blood. Red blood. Off a pier, I think? That's the line that stands out, out of the gazillion pages of dramatic descriptions in that book, for some reason.

Byron999 and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Some of the best parties I've ever been to ...and "some of" is the only questionable part of this sentence... were in Philly. Oh, the stories! I don't want to troll/bomb the thread, though. I'll just say, "Philly food" seems to be "hangover food" for a damn good reason - necessity.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  4. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

c, shoot away. I'm just talking JUNK in these threads;making my POETRY mentor roll in his grave. Philly is one of the bastions of drink/drug abuse. Too much passion here, this leads to heartbreak, which leads to oblivion.

VerbalPuke likes this.
  5. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

6. Tim Fezziwig

M, clowns are funny to me. I used to "ride" a drunken clown who would haunt the Seaside Boardwalk,

"So, making baloon flowers for a bottle? You like the little kids? I know ALL your secrets!"

My sister ,who apparently hates/fears clowns, had one come to her son's 4 year Birthday party. I filmed him getting out of his car taking a "hit" of something. He was very jittery. I kept putting my Super 8 camera into his face saying,

"Make me laugh clown."

I saw sores under his clown-paint. I pity clowns. I fear guns+heights. When I was in FEZZ #1 every alt/metal band had an "evil" clown as their mascot-very weak. Some day I must release my Super 8 films-they are very disturbing.

VerbalPuke and Benjammin like this.
  7. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

I saw it this evening. I wasn't a huge fan of the 90s movie. The new one was good, but not great. As usual, the book was better. I liked the movie though. The effects were great.

I do think it lacked something by having the kid and adult stories detangled from each other. I wasn't expecting that.

But as a standalone movie I thought it was great. I'm cautiously looking forward to the second part, but again with the detangling of the stories I hope they can keep up with the vibe from the first.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  8. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

Just saw it (It) last night. I was petrified of the first one when I was a kid. The new one is decent, but I think they really missed the mark with Pennywise. What made him so scary in the first one was that Tim Curry would lure you in with a smile and then turn major creep on a dime. The new Pennywise is always a creep and has no endearing qualities. He's just a creepy weirdo all the time. And I agree that the jump scares were played out.

Disclaimer: never read the book and I haven't seen the old movie since it came out. My perception is probably skewed due to viewing the previous movie through the eyes of a child.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  9. Malikon

No you remember correctly. Tim Curry would smile and wave and laugh,..then suddenly have a mouthful of fangs. Or act friendly and playful (like a clown), then suddenly scowl and bark angrily and get in your face and threaten..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim Fezziwig, Howard2k and DotStudio like this.
  10. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

I like my sewer clowns to be a little bit more light-hearted is all. :laugh2:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim Fezziwig, Howard2k and Malikon like this.
  11. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

That's why clowns bother me, not the makeup and bullshit, but the mindset of a person who wants to do all that. Anytime I see a man dressed as a clown, I automatically think "John Wayne Gacy"

VerbalPuke and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  12. Malikon

Yeah that first gif he looks malevolent from the get-go.

where Curry was friendly, "hahaha Georgie, come on down! We have rides and popcorn! Come on down and float,..we all float Georgie, and if you come down YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!!"

...and it's only at the end his voice changes and he gets mean and reaches for the kid.

In that first gif you wonder why the kid would even reach in there because that obviously looks like a scary and not friendly clown.

I'm still interested in the movie though. I'll watch almost anything that's Stephen King.

Howard2k likes this.
  13. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

I saw it. I liked it. Didn't love it, probably won't ever watch it again, but I liked it.

I did not care for the over reliance on loud noises. That's a cheap trick.

Pennywise was a very good movie monster although I miss the subtler creepiness of Tim Curry. I don't know why they made Pennywise look and act so monstrous. The whole reason clowns are scary is that they act friendly and goofy but something about them is just... off. That's the appeal of clown villains and monsters, they look and act innocent but they still make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. They missed that mark in The Dark Knight by making The Joker look like a violent crackhead (which really bugs me because the dichotomy between Batman and the Joker is that Batman is a great hero dressing up as a monster while Joker is a monster that looks like something innocent), and they missed it here too. In this movie there was no reason for Pennywise to be a clown. He could have been anything with the same result. Tim Curry's Pennywise was an ordinary clown which made images as simple as this look terrifying. But taking him for what he was, there were moments where he scared the crap out of me, it just wasn't all it could be.

What I really liked about this movie were the kids. All of them were good actors and I really bought into their group dynamic. You could really feel that they were friends. Bev was the standout, great actress, but I liked all of their characters (the weakest was probably Stan the Jewish kid, not the performance but the character). The late 80s setting was a lot of fun too, and even though I was born a year later I still felt nostalgic for it the same way I feel nostalgic for the 50s in Stand By Me, the 60s in American Graffiti and the 70s in Dazed and Confused - the movie paints such a clear picture that any kid who remembers riding around the neighborhood on a bike feels nostalgic for it. Although I felt more nostalgia watching this one because while I was born after Batman was in theaters I remember the sequels being in theaters. These kinds of movies are catching up to my childhood and that sure makes me feel old. Don't know what they'll do past it though. We were the last generation of free roaming children. In three decades they couldn't make this movie again and set it in 2017, it just wouldn't work because kids don't go out anymore.

So yeah, not amazing but it was a good horror movie. But I don't have any real attachment to the miniseries or the novel.

rxbandit, Tim Fezziwig and Howard2k like this.
  14. Malikon

that's one reason I'm interested in the remake is because the kids at the time period would've been around my age I think. So the time/setting I'm curious to see if it reminds me of being that age at that time.

..mofo better bust out a Nintendo. :laugh2:

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  15. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

There's no Nintendo that I saw but Richie plays the original Street Fighter in an arcade.

Tim Fezziwig and Malikon like this.
  16. Malikon

I would've gone for Shinobi, but ok that'll work. :laugh2:

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  17. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

We can just be thankful that the US is not the only english speaking country in the world...

Yikes!

Malikon and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  18. Malikon

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  19. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

I really enjoyed the movie (saw it Friday night). Packed theater, everyone seemed to feel the same.

The kids were exceptional, great performances. Just really an enjoyable film, I was busting out laughing at a lot of the dialogue.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  20. Tim Fezziwig

I guess I'm in the minority?SHATTERING box office records? Cripes, this world is easily pleased. The opening scene was chilling, after that no others stood out. I saw the kids as "bland." Glad I'm a 'dinosaur."